I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

MACM85

Visit site
Probably a discussion for another thread, but IOOB doesn't stop me going there, it just means an annoying penalty shot when I do.. ?

I have been a sucker on the 3rd for putting it out of bounds right on plenty of occasions! As you want to hug the right hand side for a shorter second shot to the green.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My mate has been suffering from them this season and has shot up from 5.5 to 9.1, primarily due to them. Three weeks ago he shanked one OOB from 8th fairway to 1st fairway and hit someone in the chest. Sadly, he has now passed this 'skill' to me and the last three times I have played our 8th hole I have done exactly the same (without hitting anyone). I am now dreading playing our 8th hole.

I feel your pain mate! Nice not to be along in times like these!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from a two day trip with three mates to Wensum Valley in Norfolk.

First round was on the 'Valley' course. Nice layout but the fairways were absolutely burnt to a crisp, completely dead and rock hard. Consequently hit some of my longest ever drives on the downhill holes! Got 290 yards twice and drove a green at 275 as well. Played really well apart from a couple of silly doubles. My back nine was superb and was only one over par after birdying that one where I drove the green, until the 17th ruined it a bit. Absolutely stupid hole to be honest - par 5 where you can only go about 180 yards forward, then a straight 90 degree dogleg right - out of bounds on both sides of the dogleg to stop you trying to drive the corner and you can't see over there anyway so would be a total gamble. I couldn't commit to a club and stuffed a 7 wood out of bounds anyway. ??‍♂️ Ended up with a triple. Bounced back and parred the last for a round of 83 and 42 points (receiving 17 shots on course handicap). Eleven over par with three of them coming on that stupid 17th. I didn't win the day though - 28 capper mate, receiving 32 shots managed 44 points! Now you know why I named our trophy 'Bandit Golfer of the Year'. ? The other two shot 33 and 28 points so had some deficit to overturn on the second day.

Three course dinner was fantastic by the way, and the bar was great too, we spent the evening playing pool & darts and watching the end of the Open + highlights on their big screen.

Today we were on the Wensum Course. It's longer and harder than the Valley course, but for some reason we were receiving less shots so 16 for me this time. The fairways were even more dead than the Valley course - it was like trying to hit golf shots off a wooden floor. As the course was much tighter, the extra roll that we enjoyed yesterday was killing me today - even a not-too-bad drive was taking a giant hop right into the trees. I started ok but the wheels came off one by one as I blobbed two holes in a row, managed only 12 points on the front nine. My 28 hcap rival (with 30 shots this time) managed 16 so it was his to lose by now. The back nine on this course was just a joke. For some reason you're suddenly introduced to massive water hazards on 6 of the next 7 holes! I don't mind the odd water feature but this was ridiculous. Some of them were just utterly daft and seemed to have more water than land. And with the scorched earth dead ground you had to lay up well well short to ensure it didn't roll in. I absolutely hated the course to be honest and played shockingly for most of the round, basically. Parred the last but it was far too little too late as I'd only managed 26 points. My mate had 29 on the day (which was the joint highest) to take the win 73 points to my 68. (62 and 56 the other two.)

If the fairways weren't dead it might have actually been a decent track but the amount of water on those back nine holes was just bloody silly, and the fairways need about 40 days and 40 nights of rain to recover. I'm a bit gutted that what was shaping up as a good contest just petered out on day two, but fair play to my mate for proving he was the biggest bandit!

Aside from today's golf, a fantastic couple of days. ????

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from a two day trip with three mates to Wensum Valley in Norfolk.

First round was on the 'Valley' course. Nice layout but the fairways were absolutely burnt to a crisp, completely dead and rock hard. Consequently hit some of my longest ever drives on the downhill holes! Got 290 yards twice and drove a green at 275 as well. Played really well apart from a couple of silly doubles. My back nine was superb and only one over par after birdying that one where I drove the green, but the 17th ruined it a bit. Absolutely stupid hole to be honest - par 5 where you can only go about 180 yards forward, then a straight 90 degree dogleg right - out of bounds on both sides of the dogleg to stop you trying to drive the corner and you can't see over there anyway so would be a total gamble. I couldn't commit to a club and stuffed a 7 wood out of bounds anyway. ??‍♂️ Ended up with a triple. Bounced back and parred the last for a round of 83 and 42 points (receiving 17 shots on course handicap). Eleven over par with three of them coming on that stupid 17th. I didn't win the day though - 28 capper mate, receiving 32 shots managed 44 points! Now you know why I named our trophy 'Bandit Golfer of the Year'. ? The other two shot 33 and 28 points so had some deficit to overturn on the second day.

Three course dinner was fantastic by the way, and the bar was great too, we spent the evening playing pool & darts and watching the end of the Open + highlights on their big screen.

Today we were on the Wensum Course. It's longer and harder than the Valley course, but for some reason we were receiving less shots so 16 for me this time. The fairways were even more dead than the Valley course - it was like trying to hit golf shots off a wooden floor. As the course was much tighter, the extra roll that we enjoyed yesterday was killing me today - even a not-too-bad drive was taking a giant hop right into the trees. I started ok but the wheels came off one by one as I blobbed two holes in a row, managed only 12 points on the front nine. My 28 hcap rival (with 30 shots this time) managed 16 so it was his to lose by now. The back nine on this course was just a joke. For some reason you're suddenly introduced to massive water hazards on 6 of the next 7 holes! I don't mind the odd water feature but this was ridiculous. Some of them were just utterly daft and seemed to have more water than land. And with the scorched earth dead ground you had to lay up well well short to ensure it didn't roll in. I absolutely hated the course and played shockingly for most of the round, basically. Parred the last but it was far too little too late as I'd only managed 26 points. My mate had 29 on the day (which was the joint highest) to take the win 73 points to my 68. (62 and 56 the other two.)

If the fairways weren't dead it might have actually been a decent track but the amount of water on those back nine holes was just bloody silly, and the fairways need about 40 days and 40 nights of rain to recover. I'm a bit gutted that what was shaping up as a good contest just petered out on day two, but fair play to my mate for proving he was the biggest bandit!

Aside from today's golf, a fantastic couple of days. ????

A two day trip?
It's just taken me three days to read it! ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Friendly 3 ball early yesterday..
Greens are running fast and true but are massively difficult with some of the slopes we have..
Fairways are hard and fast but, again due to the slopes, you don't want masses of run..
Started on the 10th and it didn't look good with 2 bogeys to start..
Then the game kicked in and I ended the 9 on 20 points
Blobbed the 1st(our 10th) and then played really solidly for 18 points back
78 blows earned me a small cut and it really should have been more...
And one for the chipper debate..
On the 15th my ball and one of the other's balls were just short and right of the green.
He's borrowed a chipper from the Pro shop with a view to buying....he played first and knocks it to 3 feet and says " that's why you need a chipper"
Moments later I'm saying "Nah, you need a 58° lob wedge" as I chip in for birdie and 4 points:LOL::ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had my first round in a week in yesterday's roll up at Nairn. Hit it ok and scored well, but very strange, hit everything with a fade! Try and hit one with the driver at times, but everything else I hit with a draw. Only downside was a slight loss of distance with the 3 wood, which probably could be down to hitting down on it.
Good to have a hit especially as it's a comp today off the very back tees, so I'll need driver of most tees, even one of the par 3s which I suspect will be the 14th if they stick the flag at the back it's almost 240?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my first round in a week in yesterday's roll up at Nairn. Hit it ok and scored well, but very strange, hit everything with a fade! Try and hit one with the driver at times, but everything else I hit with a draw. Only downside was a slight loss of distance with the 3 wood, which probably could be down to hitting down on it.
Good to have a hit especially as it's a comp today off the very back tees, so I'll need driver of most tees, even one of the par 3s which I suspect will be the 14th if they stick the flag at the back it's almost 240?

First round in a week, what’s happening your not getting out ??

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played 9 last night continuing my 'face my fears' of playing off the back tees, shot 46 (+10, 21pts) so very very pleased with that as a score, however that was in spite of 20 putts and a blow-up 8. Again another small cut which should take me under 24, all trending in the right direction but I always come off the course being able to pinpoint where I could have been 2-4 shots better......does this ever change?

As an aside, funny story. My wife was looking to book a round at a nice course for my upcoming birthday and she asked what my handicap is. When I told her, she remarked "Wow, some courses I've looked at have a limit of 18, that seemed like quite a big limit and I thought you would be easily under it by now" (After playing for ~14 months). Nothing like someone close to you to bring you down to earth!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st round of club champs today, a tale of two halves. 8 over after 8 holes but then had 3 birdies on the spin to get my round back on track. Finally finished at 6 over to be 5 shots off the lead. Second round tomorrow. I’ve been a member at my club for 34 years and I don’t think I have seen the course this burned up and dry before. Some of the bounces are unreal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great first 15 then made a stupid error on 16 trying to be too cute with a short approach to a front pin, bunkering it and ending with a blob. Then frustrated tried to smash tee shot on 17…mess…and another blob. Now dead irritated with my stupidity struggled up last for a point to finish with 34pts.

2 over gross front nine, ten over back. Jeez. But sheer stupidity apart I played well and enjoyed it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Third day golfing in a row. Just a friendly one with a mate - although we were joined by another member just as we were heading out which was nice.

Started on the 13th. Annoying double on the 16th when I chunked a couple of irons on the rock hard ground. Made up for with a nice birdie on the 2nd, hitting the approach to around 4 feet. Had a solid stretch parring 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th and 10th with two bogeys in between. A second double on the 11th was unfortunate, but finished up with a 79 for 40 points so delighted with that. Shame I didn't put a card in, sods law. ?

Whether was hot but not unbearable, around 27° I believe. Had my umbrella up by the end for a bit more shade but it was lovely really. And the guy who joined us was a really nice chap, always good to get to know another member, so a very enjoyable afternoon.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
1st day in club championship today, I'm only in for the fun net part. Gave myself a talking to in the car to play conservatively especially with course fiery and rough high. Of course after hitting my best tee shot (this year on that hole) on the first par 5, I couldn't resist going to fly the bunkers like I had done during the week. Had some bad luck and ball came back somehow stopping on the severe bunker grass slope - bit like cam smith on 13 today. Unlike him I made a complete horlicks of things, including red mist, and racked up a 9 - without a penalty shot! Did pick myself up & played a few good holes until a lost ball adding to a poor 1st nine. 2nd nine was better, including a 2.
There seems to be a problem with the leaderboard but my tee time tomorrow isn't as far away as anticipated so maybe others also struggled.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a Texas Scramble today, our team handicap was 11.1, we had 5 birdies (4 in the first 6 holes but then they wouldn't drop) and no bogeys so finished on 55.9 which won't be close knowing how Texas Scrambles go.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Back from an early solo before hibernating trying to avoid dying of heatstroke....
Glorious out there at 4.55...cool, breezy and lovely..
Hit the ball well, 3 over going out, better coming home...
Decided to play then15th from the Red tees for a laugh - for a longer hitter it's actually a harder shot than from the White's about 990yards back
Need to hitmover trees or draw round them otherwise the slope puts you on the practice ground.
It's 467 yards, par 5 for the ladies, probably a 5 for us too...anyway, a good drive, a good 7 wood and a 15 foot putt gave me a 3...Eagle? Whatever...:LOL:
I put it down as a birdie and 4 points.. par, bogey, birdie finish for a 2 over total 73 for a gazillion points..
Another grand day at the office....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played in a comp of the Black Tees on Sat. 6978 so almost 500 yards longer than off the medals. Perfect day, only a couple of club wind and sunny. Not a great tee shot, took my medicine and wedged my 3rd stone dead almost holed it. Good drive on the 2nd, left myself 60 yards to the pin with my 2nd then holed the 3rd. Dropped a shots on the next two, but steady on the front 9 for 37 out two over. Didn't think I could get bast the bunkers with driver on 10 with it being downwind so took 3 wood with 270 to reach them. Flushed it and still made it? wedged it out, 7 iron to the which too k a bad bounce left into the left hand bunker. Plugged in the left edge. Took 3 to get it out took an 8?. rest all pars till the 18th. Took hybrid off the tee as its so far back in the pines for me to take a wood with so little a gap. All going well 2nd straight innthe left hand greenside with the same results as 10?signed for a gross 79, and very disappointed, best I've driven the ball and putted all year, been nice to have a decent score off the blacks which are usually a struggle for me. CR is 75 off the blacks.

Last edited: