I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
NEVER AGAIN!!!

Will I venture out into the fires of hell were Waterton Park this morning. I used to work with furnaces in the steel industry for 30 years and have never been as hot as today.

Prepare as you much as you can - out just after 7 am, loads of slap, two flasks of ice cubes in Ribena (the cubes being similar in size to the one that sunk the Titanic!) and hiding under the brolley (or shade) as much as possible. All useless. Crawled off and only revived by 10 minutes of fast freeze air con.

The score, 105, was less relevant than the endurance. I'm 6 foot tall but walked off 3 foot!!! Surely PCC's would be applicable when your brain is boiling inside your skull.

As I said - NEVER AGAIN!!

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Good round today. Finally after months of frustration and then lessons and more frustration it started to come together. Shot an 86 which is only about the third time I've broken 90 so very chuffed. Obviously my nett 65 was outdone by a 64 but that's the way it goes. I am happier with the cut that should be coming. I think my 8th best score in my last 20 currently is about a 98 so should get a decent chop.

Springveldt

Visit site
Chap at ours soaked his cap before starting yesterday. Not under a cold tap but in the pond outside the clubhouse. I’d love to know what he smelled like an hour later ?
My idiot of a dog has jumped in the pond at the 9th at ours and I didn’t have a towel to dry him with either. He was absolutely stinking.

Can’t believe someone would make a conscious decision to stick their cap in a pond then put it on their head. Some people I’ll never understand.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cheeky 9 holes last night in the stupid heat - glad I went though!

Bird to start, 5 bogies, 3 pars, tidy little 4 over - Ill take that considering the conditions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Caddied yesterday afternoon, warmest and calmest day so far, got to 17th went very dark wind picked up and down came a massive thunder storm, bunkers on the 18th and car park in front of the club flooded as it hammered it down for 20 mins, must have been a few inches of rain in that time. Played with the boys this morning and what a difference, greens were very receptive, nor Rock hard as they had been the last few months. Was a bit off on the first 5 holes with 3 bogeys on those holes but then hadva couple of birdies on 7 and 8. Played very well on the back 9 with three birdies and an Eagle on the 18th. Something just clicked, esp with the driving, hit a big one down 12 and 13, drove the green on 15 and a drive and 6 iron on 18. Have a tie first thing tomorrow so.glad a managed to get a game before that as wants be getting much golf in the next week with or 5 day open on and me not playing in it.

AliMc

Visit site
Good 4bbb at Dunbar this morning, greens were fabulous today have really improved again after a couple of weeks where they were a bit patchy, knocked in round in 1 over only to lose 3&2 but did birdie 17 and 18 so a little bit of consolation

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played today - what a joy to be playing in temperatures not so low as to feel cold and not so hot to feel hot. Still shorts and short sleeve shirt weather. Over cast all day but with just a hint of occasional rain.

Very noticeable that the greens were being kept well watered.

There was Titleist ball fitting going on when we came in and nice to finish the day with a trial pack of ProV1s and Prov1xs just for listening to the pro and asking a few questions.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Decided to go out for 13 holes this pm. With a singleton in front who I didn't want to catch, and no-one behind me for 3 or 4 tee times I thought I'd play 2 balls. To make it interesting and as I could do with a bit of matchplay practice for a match I have on Sunday I invented a new format for a singleton - well new for me.

Aggregate Average Two Ball Bogey. Format means that every shot with both balls matters (until it doesn't). Example. On a Par 4 I score a 4 and a 5. Average is 4.5. If I get a shot on the hole I win the hole; if I don't then I lose it. I score two 4s then with a shot I win the hole; without a shot I half it. It's tough. A birdie with one ball is great but against the course I have to post a score with the other ball to win or even half the hole. It was tough. I played pretty well but was still 3 down against the course when I finished.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just got home after a quick 9 holes.

38 whacks for a 4 over. Could’ve been so much better as I was level par for the last 7 holes.

Chipping/pitching and putting was good and off the tee was respectable.

tried using a Qstar and was really impressed with it and there’s every chance I might switch from my usual AVX

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my favourite days of the year, a visit to West Lothian gc for an open. £15 brilliantly spent. A warm day, hot by the end. A warm welcome, course in excellent condition. A smashing bloke from Murcar Links joined me and my pp to make a very sociable 3 ball.

33 points and a mixed bag. Drove well, short game was generally good, irons a bit mixed. A day of some bad decisions led to costly points being lost. I blame the heat ?.

Great day though. We will be back, same time next year ?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
It was spitting when we started, biblical when we finished the 4th, still biblical after hiding under the trees for 30 minutes, decided we couldn’t get any wetter so would cut through and play our way back in, then got even harder and we gave up that plan and walked in.

And I lost two balls in holes.

And I had a rubbish day at work.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very enjoyable game at Leatherhead yesterday - only the second time I've been there. (First time was my first forum meet back in 2009 with HTL, Leftie, Homer, Adjani, Tubebuster, USER1999). Didn't remember any of the course so was pleasantly surprised, although greens were a bit slow. Managed a gross 89 for 39 pts - and put in a general play card so it was a counting score. Just a shame it pushed an even better one off the bottom of the list :(

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seniors comp today. Driver and irons were very good, but putting was atrocious. Just could not get the pace at all, everything was miles short, or five foot past the hole.

Despite that, was going along really well with 32 points after 14, then fell apart. Poor tee shot into a bush on 15, no score. Scrambled a point on 16 after a bad 2nd shot which ended up directly behind a tree. Drive on 17 went into the trees, drive on 18 into a ditch, followed by 3 putts. Total of 2 points on the last 4 holes to end up on 34.

Can't remember ever putting so badly, must have 3 putted 7 or 8 times. Painful stuff.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seniors betterball at Cosby today. Apart from the first, where both me and my PP made a mess of it for a blob, played very solid golf. We ended up with 41pts, which was respectable but not spectacular. Worked out that I would have scored around 39pts in an individual comp (was my best round for a couple of months) and my PP was similar, but we seemed to score well on the same holes. When we left with more than half the field still to finish there were already scores of 50 & 48 in!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Managed 16 holes today...9 are still closed for maintenance so we played 10-16 and then jumped back on 10 before a Ladies rollup arrived...34 points for the 16 played so pretty steady. Back to back birdies on 12 and 13 first time round, blobbed 14 2nd time...
Still only 9 tomorrow so me and CVG are having a day out to The Springs near Wallingford
Not the hardest course in the world from what I hear but its only costing us 34 quid each through GolfNow so as long as its decent we'll be happy.
Beats trying to get round our front 9 twice on a Friday morning...

Springveldt

Visit site
Seniors comp today. Driver and irons were very good, but putting was atrocious. Just could not get the pace at all, everything was miles short, or five foot past the hole.

Despite that, was going along really well with 32 points after 14, then fell apart. Poor tee shot into a bush on 15, no score. Scrambled a point on 16 after a bad 2nd shot which ended up directly behind a tree. Drive on 17 went into the trees, drive on 18 into a ditch, followed by 3 putts. Total of 2 points on the last 4 holes to end up on 34.

Can't remember ever putting so badly, must have 3 putted 7 or 8 times. Painful stuff.
Greens are still shocking though. Now they are really slow and bobbly instead of rock hard, fast and bobbly. We played last night and had at least 10 putts between the 4 of us that took flight and hopped at least 4 inches in the air. Some of them took numerous attempts at flight before getting to the hole.

I started really poorly on the bogey train for the first 5 holes, hitting the ball terrible. Don't know what happened but something clicked and from 6-15 I hit the ball great. Gave myself 5 great birdie chances of 8, 8, 9, 11 and 12 feet (approx distances using my step technique) and missed them all. Was 3 over for those 10 holes as I couldn't putt.

Hit a great drive down 16, left 122 to the front pin (hole is a 420 yard par 4, slight dogleg left that I hugged so a 280 yard drive according to Shotscope). Tugged my wedge slightly and it bounced just before the green straight left into the bunker. Tried to splash out but a lack of sand meant I Saddam'ed it into the bunker on the other side of the green. Tried to get cute from that but due to the sandcastle under my ball this time I managed to only nudge it 2 foot forward. Splashed out, missed a 5 footer and took a 7. Round and head gone. :LOL:

Ended up with an 84 after tripling the last, and I mentioned to the lads that I had a jumbo jet 747 finish.

@rudebhoy The only putt I've holed over 4 feet in the last 2 rounds was a 7 footer last night. Nothing is dropping at the moment, you aren't the only one struggling on these greens.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played a tie this morning, giving away 8 shots, as usual, 5 of those are in the first 7 holed to was quickly 3 down. Got it back on 7 8 and 9. Apple of halves here and there but lever on the13th tee, and promptly nocked my tee shot in the gorse off the tee on 13 and 14. Drove the green for Eagle and a win one 15, won 16, 17 to go one up down 18, went defensive off the tee, but buggered up the 2nd and pulled it into the rough, so lost 18. Back down the 1st, hit a great drive and stuck it on the green with my 2nd and dollied it up to the hole for a 4, he then missed his 10 ft put for the half, so avoided having to play the next 2 where he was getting shots. So though to the quarter finals