I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 15344

Saturday swindle - started with a 3 putt bogey , ended the front 9 holes under after birdies on 4,5 and 6

Back 9 ended up level par so a good 2 under 39 points today - didn’t win the swindle but have a nice lead on the OOM

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in an invitational at Copeswood Grange in Coventry this morning and thanks to Full Throttle for the invite to partner one of his fellow members.

The course is tricky with some very tight tree-lined holes and many upturned saucer greens, which were in excellent condition. It is nine holes, but different tees are used for the second nine, which ensures that some holes play very differently on the back nine.

Both me and my PP had a mixture of good and bad holes and we ended up with a respectable 43pts and just a point short of the prizes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just in from a round with Fragger...a most frustrating round..
Starting on the 10th I managed 6 pars and 3 bogeys, so up on handicap.
Onto the back and it was a similar story with 4 pars and 4 bogeys up to the last..
Needing a cut around the corner my drive went bullet straight and found the tree line and I had little option - punch out to leave 100 yards.
Clipped my GW perfectly on exactly the line I wanted - about 4 yards right of the pin so the ball would slide down the hill to the pin so expecting a short par putt
However ..the ball defied gravity and bounced on straight instead of checking and went over the green..
Didn't get it up and down so a double on the last....:mad:
Shot 80 for 36 points but the index is up to 7.5...
Annoying bearing in mind how I hit the ball today......
Fragger stumbled to 34 points and a small cut but still gets 25 shots off our whites....:rolleyes:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just in from a round with Fragger...a most frustrating round..
Starting on the 10th I managed 6 pars and 3 bogeys, so up on handicap.
Onto the back and it was a similar story with 4 pars and 4 bogeys up to the last..
Needing a cut around the corner my drive went bullet straight and found the tree line and I had little option - punch out to leave 100 yards.
Clipped my GW perfectly on exactly the line I wanted - about 4 yards right of the pin so the ball would slide down the hill to the pin so expecting a short par putt
However ..the ball defied gravity and bounced on straight instead of checking and went over the green..
Didn't get it up and down so a double on the last....:mad:
Shot 80 for 36 points but the index is up to 7.5...
Annoying bearing in mind how I hit the ball today......
Fragger stumbled to 34 points and a small cut but still gets 25 shots off our whites....:rolleyes:

25 shots - has the man no shame?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The feller I played with last week saw me on the putting green and invited me to their afternoon roll-up, so me and my mate joined that for the first time. I ended up playing with the same guy as last week, and another feller who I've seen around the place before.

First hole (par 3) I set up for a fade with the 7 wood and hoiked it left instead, into a ditch. Dropped and chipped it off the other side, so a blob to start. Parred 2nd and 3rd (first par on the 3rd in a long long time) then doubled the 4th with a three putt. It was that sort of a day overall. Parred the two par 5s (8th & 9th) to scrape 17 points at the turn, but the back nine never got out of second gear. Too many silly shots given away. No more pars until I parred the final two holes, which got me to 32 points. Disappointing. Seven pars but too much rubbish in between.

Enjoyed the company of the two blokes I played with and had a drink with the rest of the roll-up afterwards. Not sure if I'll make it a regular thing, I sort of missed playing with my mates at the same time.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played in an invitational at Copeswood Grange in Coventry this morning and thanks to Full Throttle for the invite to partner one of his fellow members.

The course is tricky with some very tight tree-lined holes and many upturned saucer greens, which were in excellent condition. It is nine holes, but different tees are used for the second nine, which ensures that some holes play very differently on the back nine.

Both me and my PP had a mixture of good and bad holes and we ended up with a respectable 43pts and just a point short of the prizes.
My thanks as well to @full_throttle for getting me a game here partnering his uncle.
Intriguing course. Mostly they play comps twice round the white tees. But we played a special card that makes use of blue, white, yellow and red tees. Two holes are either par 4 or 5 from the different tees and one par 3 is 192 and 139 yards. This is a course where positional play is rewarded far more than length. Fairways were dry and hard, as are most places right now, but the greens were immaculate.
We made a respectable 40 points and my main contribution was two consecutive birdies for 3 and 4 points.
It was shotgun start and included in the fee was bacon cob on arrival and buffet nosebag afterwards with unlimited mugs of tea. I had three. (y)
Definitely my kind of place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A messy round 13over par yesterday saw me with 33pts, and this morning a HI increase of 0.3. Tsk. I know how WHS works and why that happened but it still jolts me for a moment when it looks like a single round (that in olden days would have been outside of buffer and a +0.1) sees me with a +0.3. Anyway. Easy enough for me to get that 0.3 back.

Today is summer singles KO quarter final...could be tough as giving a 16handcapper 7 shots but not really fussed about that.. As for all in the 12-16 range (they can be very streaky and capable of cracking rounds as well as mares) it depends on how the 16 guy plays on the day as I'm fairly steady.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Got to play more golf this week than I normal do.

On Friday I played down at Northumberland Park with a mate who is a member there. Played very well, shot 78 for +6 off their whites at 6700 yards. Unfortunately I declared before the round I wasn’t putting a card in as I just wanted a knock for once. I still putted everything out though.
My mate mentioned that I play well at his place. It’s probably a combination of no mental scar tissue, the course looking more open due to it being heathland and I just find the par 3’s easier. They are shorter with wider greens.

On Saturday we had a doubles comp at our place and we managed 39 points (me getting 8 and pp getting 5) Again I played well score wise (only picked up once and would have shot 77 if I knocked in the 4 footer) but unfortunately I didn’t play the holes I had shots on well which hurt our score.

To be honest the scoring was mental, top 3 had 48,48 and 47 points. Even if we played perfect golf we couldn’t have got that. With it being 85% handicap allowance I was expecting maybe 44 to win it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pig pig piggy pig. We shot 46 today in a mixed compm Had a drink then checked the scores on the TV. 44? Huh. Checked with score man and omg I've signed for incorrect score. We should have 45 but the bloke we played with put a score in wrong column but wrote correct points so I didn't notice coz you just check by 4 for 3 agreed and he'd wrote it in mine and I got about a 12. So I said oh well we've either got 45 or you dq us. I'll leave it with you. I think he should dq us. But still we know we played well and enjoyed the day.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played again today..another day of reasonable frustration....
Shot 10 over for 35 points in, quite frankly at times, a virtually unplayable wind....and it was a warm wind too...
Gusts were blowing flags out of the hole, balls were moving on the greens, trolleys getting blown over..the works....
Quite pleased with how I coped with it, 10 bogeys, no doubles, 8 pars..mostly on the back 9 as I came home in 3 over
Bloomin' hard work

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed with how yesterday's golf went so I managed to get my 28 cap mate down for another round in the morning times today (teeing off just before 9). We decided to put cards in as well, I've not had one in for 3 weeks now and I'm not sure there's a comp next week either. When there's two of us I usually keep track of the match play score as well just for ?'s and giggles.

Much better start than yesterday as I was only 2 over after 5 holes for 12 points, but ruined that by 1-pointing 6, 7 & 8. Rescued the front 9 with a great birdie at the 9th though, sinking a 20-foot putt. My mate on the other hand was having an absolute mare, I was 5 up after 6 as he'd blobbed three holes! He did get himself back to 3 down before that birdie put me back to 4.

I carried on playing steady and won the match 6 & 5 before I had any more dodgy holes. The 15th was a laugh - 210 yard par 3 uphill - I decided to hit 5 wood instead of my usual driver in the hope it would stay straighter and give me straightforward chip up the hill. Nope - hit and absolute awful thin slice to the right, even worse than the driver normally is since it landed me in the patch of long grass that driver normally clears. Hacked it out of there to just short of the front edge - before sinking a chip and run with the 8 iron for a nice run-of-the-mill regulation par. ?

Made an arse of the 17th and double bogeyed it without hitting a single good shot on the hole, but parred the last to bring me home in 81 (38 points). Very happy with that, and it should bring down a tad when they do the calculation tomorrow as it's a 14.2 SD and one of my 17.2s can come off.

----

The wife met me for lunch and said she really wanted to play as the weather was lovely. So at 4pm we teed off on the little par 3 nine-holer at Redbourn. Well I say little, a couple of them are 200 yards in length. I played ok if a few tired shots here and there, shot 33. She played quite well, hit a few nice 5 woods off the tee and even parred one of the holes I bogeyed - 47 scored. Such weird weather though because it was still not, but at the same time there was a two club wind up all of a sudden! Crazy.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed with how yesterday's golf went so I managed to get my 28 cap mate down for another round in the morning times today (teeing off just before 9). We decided to put cards in as well, I've not had one in for 3 weeks now and I'm not sure there's a comp next week either. When there's two of us I usually keep track of the match play score as well just for ?'s and giggles.

Much better start than yesterday as I was only 2 over after 5 holes for 12 points, but ruined that by 1-pointing 6, 7 & 8. Rescued the front 9 with a great birdie at the 9th though, sinking a 20-foot putt. My mate on the other hand was having an absolute mare, I was 5 up after 6 as he'd blobbed three holes! He did get himself back to 3 down before that birdie put me back to 4.

I carried on playing steady and won the match 6 & 5 before I had any more dodgy holes. The 15th was a laugh - 210 yard par 3 uphill - I decided to hit 5 wood instead of my usual driver in the hope it would stay straighter and give me straightforward chip up the hill. Nope - hit and absolute awful thin slice to the right, even worse than the driver normally is since it landed me in the patch of long grass that driver normally clears. Hacked it out of there to just short of the front edge - before sinking a chip and run with the 8 iron for a nice run-of-the-mill regulation par. ?

Made an arse of the 17th and double bogeyed it without hitting a single good shot on the hole, but parred the last to bring me home in 81 (38 points). Very happy with that, and it should bring down a tad when they do the calculation tomorrow as it's a 14.2 SD and one of my 17.2s can come off.

----

The wife met me for lunch and said she really wanted to play as the weather was lovely. So at 4pm we teed off on the little par 3 nine-holer at Redbourn. Well I say little, a couple of them are 200 yards in length. I played ok if a few tired shots here and there, shot 33. She played quite well, hit a few nice 5 woods off the tee and even parred one of the holes I bogeyed - 47 scored. Such weird weather though because it was still not, but at the same time there was a two club wind up all of a sudden! Crazy.
What?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I played a vets Stableford yesterday, got a great par at the 1st then (the curse of the first par) cocked up the next 5 holes. I was trying a different feel with the driver but decided to just try and play normally on the back 9. I finished with 36 points and a .5 handicap index cut ?
Great, whilst I am getting my handicap up for Littlestone, you are getting yours cut.:(

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Twilight 18 holes at Clandon Golf (not Regis!) with a mate from work, teed off just after 3pm. Not played there before - definitely a course where local knowledge is an advantage!

Was pulling everything left off the tee but managed to get round the front nine in +8, which I was happy with for a new (and hilly!) course. Got a message from the OH on the 10th that one of our horses was not looking good and the vet had been called, but to carry on playing and she'd let me know if it was serious. Head went from that point in, ended up with a 96 (had to pick up on 14 for a quad bogey after being invited to play through ?‍♂️). Thankfully by the time I got to the yard the vet had been and gone and horse was fine after being seen to, so just the bill to look forward to..! ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great, whilst I am getting my handicap up for Littlestone, you are getting yours cut.:(

The cut doesn't affect my course handicap, only my handicap index

I did my best to get it back up yesterday, but it only replaced a same (poor) score ?

But, the bad news is I have booked an hour with our pro for tomorrow, the good news is that I am not playing a comp between now and Littlestone

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A good weekend over all. Played in our swindle yesterday, and despite best endeavours to sabotage my round with 4 bogeys, including two shanks off the tee on 17 & 18, managed to win it with 37 points. My first outright win in the swindle for at least........forever.