I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a last 16 KO match yesterday - winning 4/2. Knocked it round in 6 over with a few careless shots and misses in that, but not kidding myself that I could easily have been lower as I also executed a few really good ‘up and downs’ that other times I wouldn’t.

6 over off our front tees is fine for me at the moment as still plenty of scope for improvement, and as shooting that sort of round is getting to feel more ‘normal’ than ‘exceptional’…things looking +ve for club champs end August (handicap prize - I’m not that deluded 😘).

An observation from yesterday. A couple of times my opponent conceded a hole and picked up his ball when I’m sure he was still in it. Once an opponent concedes a hole in matchplay is that it, done, end of…or can I point out that he is still in the hole, and somehow continue playing it? I’m virtually 100% sure not, but I felt uncomfortable not mentioning it to him. Maybe he wasn’t wrong and I had lost count of his shots played…

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played a last 16 KO match yesterday - winning 4/2. Knocked it round in 6 over with a few careless shots and misses in that, but not kidding myself that I could easily have been lower as I also executed a few really good ‘up and downs’ that other times I wouldn’t.

6 over off our front tees is fine for me at the moment as still plenty of scope for improvement, and as shooting that sort of round is getting to feel more ‘normal’ than ‘exceptional’…things looking +ve for club champs end August (handicap prize - I’m not that deluded 😘).

An observation from yesterday. A couple of times my opponent conceded a hole and picked up his ball when I’m sure he was still in it. Once an opponent concedes a hole in matchplay is that it, done, end of…or can I point out that he is still in the hole, and somehow continue playing it? I’m virtually 100% sure not, but I felt uncomfortable not mentioning it to him. Maybe he wasn’t wrong and I had lost count of his shots played…
It's completely up to your opponent to keep an eye on their own score and the match situation - they of course can ask you how many shots you've had, but they could technically concede the hole on the tee box before hitting a shot if they wanted to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's completely up to your opponent to keep an eye on their own score and the match situation - they of course can ask you how many shots you've had, but they could technically concede the hole on the tee box before hitting a shot if they wanted to.
Just a bit odd waiting to play a 2-3ft putt that I think I’ll have to hole for a half or a win…and before I have a chance and without checking with me how many I’d played he concedes…happened twice. But hey. I am thinking he may simply have lost track or forgotten he was getting so many shots (I was giving him 13).

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That scenario has happened to me many times over the years.
EG
I am 4 feet away with a putt for par. Opponent is a long way off with a putt for a bogey, but is getting a shot. He does not get inside mine. I remain motionless.
He walks to his ball and knocks it off the green with his putter. "Have you conceded the hole?" I ask.
On the way to the next tee I explain that if he had holed his putt and I had missed mine, he would have been nett bogey and I would have been bogey - hole halved.
Some people do struggle with the arithmetic.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This and if I was giving shots I am not certain I'd be to helpful over and above a first reminder that they were still in the hole before the concession point. After that it is down to them to understand where they get shots and the state of the hole

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
West course at La Manga today, too bloody hot by far on a very tough course. Happy to walk off with 32 points all things considered.

No more golf for a while now, shoulder is completely goosed thanks to a cocktail of pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs to see me through.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That scenario has happened to me many times over the years.
EG
I am 4 feet away with a putt for par. Opponent is a long way off with a putt for a bogey, but is getting a shot. He does not get inside mine. I remain motionless.
He walks to his ball and knocks it off the green with his putter. "Have you conceded the hole?" I ask.
On the way to the next tee I explain that if he had holed his putt and I had missed mine, he would have been nett bogey and I would have been bogey - hole halved.
Some people do struggle with the arithmetic.
I sometimes lose track of who's on what shot, but as a result my brain goes the other way. Rather than pick up when I shouldn't, I'm far more likely to watch a guy try and make his three foot putt when he has three putts for the win. Then realise afterwards that I didn't really need to make him putt it. 😆 But I'd rather err on that side than slip up and do myself out of a hole.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Teed off at 7pm last night, got 11 holes in with the youth.
A triple on the 9th ruined a solid front nine for him which had seen him chalk up 5 pars snd 3 bogies. Off the white tees at Willow Valley, thats bloody good scoring for a kid.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Played JCB today

Course maturing very well

Greens pure , fairways knitting nicely

Not normally a fan of the “welcomes” at the corporate clubs as it feels forced but has a different feel here

The course is better than Centurion , prob not far off the Marquess and Bearwood

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    689.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 11

4LEX

Visit site
Played JCB today

Course maturing very well

Greens pure , fairways knitting nicely

Not normally a fan of the “welcomes” at the corporate clubs as it feels forced but has a different feel here

The course is better than Centurion , prob not far off the Marquess and Bearwood

It's a good course now, in 20 years it will be world class.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a seniors open at Moseley GC today with GG26, like Walmley on Monday, the greens were faster than anything I've played this year.
Nice course, tight in places but the greens were the main defence.

A run of 1 pointers set me back and I ended up on 32 points.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Clitheroe GC in the seniors open.
Very tough course you must shape the ball both ways off the tee.
Greens very good but very firm and pretty quick.

Pissed down for 11 holes spoilt the day!😳⛈️

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played a seniors open at Moseley GC today with GG26, like Walmley on Monday, the greens were faster than anything I've played this year.
Nice course, tight in places but the greens were the main defence.

A run of 1 pointers set me back and I ended up on 32 points.
You coped with the greens much better than me. I had two 4-putts including the first and several 3-putts. Only 4pts after six holes, but improved from there. Challenging course, but I need to improve my putting technique. Was great to catch up with you Crow over the two courses.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played pairs open today at Newbiggin
Brutal......just brutal
4 seasons in 1 day
Battered
I teed off at 16:45, the last group in the open teed off at 14:52, we caught them on the last hole and we slowed down as a guy walking off told us it had taken him 2 hours to play the first 6 holes.

As you say, wind was brutal so I didn’t put a card in. Even with a birdie and an eagle I still shot +10. My mate shot a level par 72 and he really should have been under par.

Sat in the clubhouse after and when the results were read out both me and my mate let out an audible laugh at the 46 point winners, but then heard they won £300 and it’s easy to see why people have dodgy handicaps. There was no chance there was a net 62 out there today even in betterball with proper handicaps. On 4 I nailed my drive 170 yards into the wind and on 10 I hit my pitching wedge 175 yards with the wind.

Not just the wind but the rough as well as most times if you’re lucky enough to find it you might be able to hack it back onto the fairway in one shot if you have a lot of speed.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I teed off at 16:45, the last group in the open teed off at 14:52, we caught them on the last hole and we slowed down as a guy walking off told us it had taken him 2 hours to play the first 6 holes.

As you say, wind was brutal so I didn’t put a card in. Even with a birdie and an eagle I still shot +10. My mate shot a level par 72 and he really should have been under par.

Sat in the clubhouse after and when the results were read out both me and my mate let out an audible laugh at the 46 point winners, but then heard they won £300 and it’s easy to see why people have dodgy handicaps. There was no chance there was a net 62 out there today even in betterball with proper handicaps. On 4 I nailed my drive 170 yards into the wind and on 10 I hit my pitching wedge 175 yards with the wind.

Not just the wind but the rough as well as most times if you’re lucky enough to find it you might be able to hack it back onto the fairway in one shot if you have a lot of speed.

Yes....exactly this
Wind played same way all day, a mate hit it about 160 on 4th, but nearly drove green on 15....hit it 300-305.
Rough was penal
Luckily I only went in juicy stuff once, but lost it.
But looking round the course, plenty others spending lots of time looking for balls in the long stuff, seemed more prominent than in past

I thought 41-42 would have won, which still would have been a cracking score in them conditions, but not -10