I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yep, bit windy yesterday.
Our 8th hole is 425 yards off the yellows, slightly uphill and gentle dogleg to the right.
Downwind.
Took a good tight line with the drive, but ran out of fairway to the left. Hit a 42° iron from the rough over the back of the green and made bogey.
I think that is a first in over 50 years of playing that hole. Usually very happy to reach in two hits.

Springveldt

Visit site
Yes....exactly this
Wind played same way all day, a mate hit it about 160 on 4th, but nearly drove green on 15....hit it 300-305.
Rough was penal
Luckily I only went in juicy stuff once, but lost it.
But looking round the course, plenty others spending lots of time looking for balls in the long stuff, seemed more prominent than in past

I thought 41-42 would have won, which still would have been a cracking score in them conditions, but not -10
I've just counted up our betterball score last night and it would have been 67 but we played off the whites, I think the open was off the yellows.

My mate put his drive in the greenside bunker on 1, hit driver 5 iron into 2 (560 yards off the whites), hit driver then 3/4 PW into 14 (500 yard par 5), I nearly drove 15 off the whites with an off centre hit, was about 10 yards short of the green. The wind must have been gusting up to 40mph at points, we just couldn't see how anyone was shooting 62 in that. We even holed quite a few putts between us, it wasn't one of those rounds were you think "that 67 could have been a 63 if we holed some putts" as we made 4 long ones between us.

The thing is, 46 didn't win by much as there were 2 45's as well. The club betterball comp a couple of weeks ago was won with 44 in much better conditions and 2nd and 3rd was 42 points.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just counted up our betterball score last night and it would have been 67 but we played off the whites, I think the open was off the yellows.

My mate put his drive in the greenside bunker on 1, hit driver 5 iron into 2 (560 yards off the whites), hit driver then 3/4 PW into 14 (500 yard par 5), I nearly drove 15 off the whites with an off centre hit, was about 10 yards short of the green. The wind must have been gusting up to 40mph at points, we just couldn't see how anyone was shooting 62 in that. We even holed quite a few putts between us, it wasn't one of those rounds were you think "that 67 could have been a 63 if we holed some putts" as we made 4 long ones between us.

The thing is, 46 didn't win by much as there were 2 45's as well. The club betterball comp a couple of weeks ago was won with 44 in much better conditions and 2nd and 3rd was 42 points.
I saw this at first and thought 'holy smoke'. but then realised you were not counting it as stableford :ROFLMAO: .

46, 45, all 'interesting' scores in that weather on that course.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

The open was seniors though
Not as 💪 strong as you whippersnappers.😉

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played today...started about 11.30 playing with a mate....
Seniors Match in front of us - due to 2 balls having to start on the 1st @ 11.30 we had no option but to follow them on their back 9.
Took us 2 and a half hours to play the front 9.......a whole hour more than it should take a 2 ball....2 and a half sodding hours.......
Once they finished and we went to the 10th - surprise surprise we went round the back 9 in 90 minutes...
No way to get through the matches, we just had to suck it up.
Not completely the reason but 12 points out and 18 back paints a picture....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with a mate at a course we get to play for free. Smashing day out. BUT, we were behind a horrendously slow society. 5 hour round. Good job it was a nice day for it. We both played well. Me just that bit better than my mate. made a total hash of the last so blob. 33 points to 30. Their greenkeeper "lost the greens" 18 months ago (they used to be stunning) they still haven't got them back, in fact they were worse this year than last. Very sad.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played with friends at Morpeth GC today. Enjoyed it but left my short game at home. I can't afford to do that, so it showed 😔. Plenty of positives but not turning good shots into good scores is frustrating.

Not as frustrating as the wind not dying down, as it was supposed to 😡

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two-day trip to Belton Woods with my wife and four mates yesterday and today. We add the Stableford scores of both days together and give a trophy to the winner.

We had the tougher Lakes course yesterday, and bugger me if it wasn't a hurricane we were playing in. Absolutely mental winds that were changing direction in a second, and the rough just a few yards off the fairway was knee-high as well. Needless to say, this wasn't conducive to good golf. Best score anyone managed was 30 and that was from a very occasional player who we were giving 37 shots on the day - he mainly did well on the par 3s. I blobbed quite a few holes, lost 4 balls thanks to the aforementioned rough and trying to carry massive lakes into a three-club wind unsuccessfully. In the end I sank a 15-footer on the last green to break 100 - 99 gross and 25 points from a playing handicap of 16. And I didn't even feel like I played that bad, it was just a nightmare. That left me in 5th place and going out in the first group (leaders in the second).

After a great evening of food and drinks it was onto day two today - on the slightly more forgiving Woods course. And, I actually felt it was a nicer course with some great holes. Weather was perfect today so it was a different kettle of fish entirely. I blobbed the first just to take the pressure off myself, as you do, but put in a solid front nine after that including 4 pars in a row from the 5th to 8th. Had a lovely birdie on the 13th after another couple of pars which meant I'd hit 29 points already (playing handicap 13 this time). Struggled to 1 point on the next two but finished strongly to score 85 gross (12 over par) and 37 points! Highlight was chipping it out of a ditch on the 17th and somehow finding the green for a two-putt bogey.

It turned out the occasional player who was leading had cried off after six holes due to various ailments, leaving it wide open. My 12 handicap mate who'd scored 28 points was apparently having a decent round but he was in the other group so I didn't know how decent until he came off. Turned out he lost his ball on the final hole so only came in with 32 points. 60 total for him and 62 for me, so I was the winner! 🏆 My wife came in with 57 (27 & 30) for a very respectable 3rd place.

Fantastic couple of days at a superb venue.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back on it early this morning for the mixed foursomes quarter-final - in the peeing rain. Giving 7 shots.

Lost the first to a good par from our opponents, but pretty solid after that in an up-and-down match. Got a big slice of luck on the 4th when my drive must have hit a tree to stay in bounds - I really struggle driving in the wind and hit another appalling one on the 8th as well, but I redeemed it by stiffing a 40 yard pitch to 10 inches and they three-putted to win us that one. We followed that up with a great birdie on the 9th to go 3 up. Won the 11th which was their shot hole and on the 12th their female player failed to carry the ditch with her drive and they conceded the match! She said she was just too cold and wet to continue. Not the way you want to win but we'll take it, and I felt we were playing solid enough that we would have won anyway.

I hit some great shots (other than my tee shots which were all poor!) and holed some nice putts. Good win and onto the semi-finals.

sjw

Visit site
Went out of my way to practice this week for club championship. 18 holes on Tuesday evening, range on Wednesday, 10 holes on Thursday. Been hitting the ball really well. Great, I thought, all set up, this'll be lovely. I'm a 19.8 index so I'm not going to pull up any trees, but how lovely it would be to shoot well.

Comes to this morning, rain basically horizontal through the front nine, soaked through, shoot a 108 (54 out and back). Dreadful and thoroughly disappointed and upset. Have to do it all again tomorrow. Hopefully things will get better.

Just need to find a way to get out of a mental spiral. Wouldn't even call it pressure of a comp, don't feel nervous apart from the tee shots. I don't feel myself chasing a score either. I guess I'm just more relaxed when playing with mates, chat more etc.

Ho hum. 😞

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out of my way to practice this week for club championship. 18 holes on Tuesday evening, range on Wednesday, 10 holes on Thursday. Been hitting the ball really well. Great, I thought, all set up, this'll be lovely. I'm a 19.8 index so I'm not going to pull up any trees, but how lovely it would be to shoot well.

Comes to this morning, rain basically horizontal through the front nine, soaked through, shoot a 108 (54 out and back). Dreadful and thoroughly disappointed and upset. Have to do it all again tomorrow. Hopefully things will get better.

Just need to find a way to get out of a mental spiral. Wouldn't even call it pressure of a comp, don't feel nervous apart from the tee shots. I don't feel myself chasing a score either. I guess I'm just more relaxed when playing with mates, chat more etc.

Ho hum. 😞
For some of us, the worst thing you can do is set yourself a target. Even a nondescript one like "I want to put a good score in because it's the Club Champs" - I've failed on this exact one multiple times. You just build it up too much in your head. It's difficult but no matter what the round is, whether it's of vital importance or completely insignificant, you just need to play it one shot at a time. No more no less. The only target I want now is the one I'm aiming my ball at.

5OTT

Visit site
Frustrating day, getting 15 shots and came off with a 90 (31 points).

Hit some real form on the 8 holes 7 through 15 playing just 3 over par but then finished with a blob and 2 double bogies.

Plus side I felt like I am finally finding the centre of the clubface.

sjw

Visit site
For some of us, the worst thing you can do is set yourself a target. Even a nondescript one like "I want to put a good score in because it's the Club Champs" - I've failed on this exact one multiple times. You just build it up too much in your head. It's difficult but no matter what the round is, whether it's of vital importance or complete insignificant, you just need to play it one shot at a time. No more no less. The only target I want now is the one I'm aiming my ball at.
Totally get what you're saying. Just very annoying that it's something that you can't put your finger on that just makes your game go to pot. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a 99 or something the right side of 100. It's the not playing as well as I have in practice AND the score being so high that's annoying.

At least there is no real pressure for tomorrow now, that's good.

Taking away the whole club champs thing, it's just an extension of my main annoyance with golf in that I KNOW I can do much better than that. My ball striking, when it's on, is comfortably good enough to be chasing single figures. I just find ways to ruin holes out of nowhere lol

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally get what you're saying. Just very annoying that it's something that you can't put your finger on that just makes your game go to pot. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a 99 or something the right side of 100. It's the not playing as well as I have in practice AND the score being so high that's annoying.

At least there is no real pressure for tomorrow now, that's good.

Taking away the whole club champs thing, it's just an extension of my main annoyance with golf in that I KNOW I can do much better than that. My ball striking, when it's on, is comfortably good enough to be chasing single figures. I just find ways to ruin holes out of nowhere lol
I'm the same. Over the years whenever I set myself targets or goals all it does it set me up for disappointment. I think (hope) I've finally given up on all that. Feel like I've grown. 😂 But I still get the anger when I don't perform to the level I'm capable of. Golf is just so unlike any other game, some days you simply don't have it.

Reactions: sjw

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of those days, a good one for a change.

Stood on the 1st tee in a howling gale with a raging hangover. I wasn’t expecting much and thought something in the mid 80’s would be good. One over at the turn with a birdie and two bogeys. Two under on the back nine to finish with a 1 under gross 69. The putter worked for a change. 😁