I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at the brand new Inspiration course in West London today. It was a bit rough and ready in places but the greens are immaculate. Yardages were a bit of a guessing game as it hasn't been mapped for Hole19 or Garmin devices yet. They had spray-painted 200, 150 and 100 yard markers onto the fairway though. 😆

My front nine was excellent, nothing worse than bogey and I birdied the par 5 9th to turn in 40 - five over par and 19 points (off a ridiculously low playing handicap of 12 I might add). Unfortunately my back nine wasn't as strong, got my first double on the 11th, was still only eight over after 14 holes, but crumbled to a triple, bogey, double, double finish unfortunately. 13 point back nine brought me to 32 total, 88 gross. I was happy with that gross score as 90 was the target I set myself on a brand new course with no yardage help, but still disappointing to let a very good round turn into just a decent one at the end.

Eureka swing still working well though. Not the best ball striking day, couple of fats and thins, but they were mostly going straight which meant they were fine. I struggled with chipping as the greens were hard to read and I didn't quite know where to land them. In my defence the course got a bit backlogged on those last four holes hence I stiffened up a bit on the tee. But I still played worlds better than I was before last week.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played round 2 of club handicap KO today.

I was receiving 5 shots and was massively out driven but if I could have kept out of the deep rough a little better and not lost so many balls I would have cruised it. Lost 5 balls on different holes.

Three down with four to play but made it to the par three 18th 1 down. Hit a lovely 3 wood to 20 feet and thought I might have a chance of extra holes but my oppo hit a great 3 iron just inside me so I needed to hole the birdie putt for any chance.
I didn't, but it wouldn't have mattered as he holed his putt.

Enjoyable match despite my poor driving.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The changes to the scramble HC allowance have made it very very hard for a team of low HCs to win or even to challenge for winning

When it comes to scramble teams are going to go around under gross - team getting 17 shots before it even starts . Recently a team went 22 under gross - and still didn’t come top 5

Their “formula” that they have made up as made it imbalanced and we have players now not bothering with them

There was a scramble at ours on the last Bank Holiday when I was playing elsewhere in an open, and the winning team shot a nett 50 against a par of 72, and were assisted by having SIXTEEN shots. To put into perspective just how ridiculously skewed the H/C allowance now is, that is double the number the same team would have had under the previous regime of 10% combined.

Whilst I accept scrambles are supposed to be a bit of fun, I would add that this was a board comp with a decent prize payout. A pity I wasn’t there because I missed the fireworks when the winning team walked into the bar and shared their good news. I am told that it went down like a bucket of sick with some of our more outspoken members.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There was a scramble at ours on the last Bank Holiday when I was playing elsewhere in an open, and the winning team shot a nett 50 against a par of 72, and were assisted by having SIXTEEN shots. To put into perspective just how ridiculously skewed the H/C allowance now is, that is double the number the same team would have had under the previous regime of 10% combined.

Whilst I accept scrambles are supposed to be a bit of fun, I would add that this was a board comp with a decent prize payout. A pity I wasn’t there because I missed the fireworks when the winning team walked into the bar and shared their good news. I am told that it went down like a bucket of sick with some of our more outspoken members.

It does seem to be bordering on the ridiculous with the new allowance.
There was a scramble at my place today, luckily I was being beaten in the singles KO so didn't play in it.

There were only 16 teams and a nett 63 came..........

LAST!

Nett 51 won it (off a handicap of 16 coincidentally!), 54 was second and 12 of the 16 teams were in the fifties!
Course is a par 72.

One team playing off 2 scored a gross 59 nett 57 and only came 5th!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It does seem to be bordering on the ridiculous with the new allowance.
There was a scramble at my place today, luckily I was being beaten in the singles KO so didn't play in it.

There were only 16 teams and a nett 63 came..........

LAST!

Nett 51 won it (off a handicap of 16 coincidentally!), 54 was second and 12 of the 16 teams were in the fifties!
Course is a par 72.

One team playing off 2 scored a gross 59 nett 57 and only came 5th!

I’ll bet those with the nett 63 thought their score was respectable! Seriously, that’s a bit daft. The team off 2 must be wondering why they even got out of bed.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

It’s ridiculous

They have just plucked a HC allowance out of thin air and it’s a complete shambles

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a rare outing today in a mixed 4BBB open at Heaton Moor, the weather wasn't great, a lot of showers, but I enjoyed it, we did ok 40 points, but sadly we seemed to par the same holes and just get one point on the same, not what you want in a better ball.

Visit site
I played today in R2 of our club champs and shot +16, off 6, playing quite nicely. After a hard fought +10 on day one.

I had a GIR 7, on a SI 3 par 4, with 3 putts. Work that one out 🫠🤣 and someone managed a GIR 8 on the same hole.

We have 20 scratch golfers and our club champ won by 10 shots at -5. The standards show the different levels within golf, I was 30 shots back through 36 holes, I barely struck a shot badly all weekend.

The best weekend by miles in the calendar year, everyone leans into the fun, I laughed else I would have cried. I can’t putt, but neither can anyone else

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First day in the roll up yesterday on what was a perfect morning for golf. Nice early start but I’m sure my swing stayed in bed. Haven’t played that badly in months with 2 lost balls and 30 pts.

Good news is I have an mot booked for Sunday so should hopefully get things straightened out.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Was our biggest comp of the year yesterday - Newton Trophy - to honour the guy who created the club - John Newton.

Played absolutely pish for 6 holes, then made 3 pars, then played pish for the rest of the round - handicaps going up again - I need to find some consistency within my rounds as I know I can get at least 4 or 5 off my hcap with the shots I'm capable of hitting.

Anyway, it was a great day - tee sheets are drawn in zones and we had a great fourball - and all the proceeds from the event go to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance - so some bad golf is pretty irrelevant.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Club champs weekend. Managed to at least start given my injuries and shot a nett 77(+7) to make the cut to play on Sunday which was my main goal. Played better yesterday but crashed mentally and physically around the 13th despite eating and drinking frequently which led to a few bad swings and choices. Still managed a nett 72 (+2) to finish +9 in the overall nett event. Way down on the gross but I can't realistically compete in that anyway so for 95% of the field it is about the nett prize. I was sitting around joint 12th when I left so I am really pleased with how it went.

I am now a broken shell of a man physically but worth it

Course was excellent and they got the greens to 12 on the stimp yesterday. I put the Anser PLD back in and putted brilliantly and had a massive strokes gained of +4.9 with SG of +5.2 on putts from 0-10 feet. Eureka swing held up as best it could but short game went missing in action but I am very happy.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played several times up to Saturday in our golf week, probably walked 25 miles in the 4 rounds. The interesting game was the 4 players Texas scramble where there was an added twist that all 4 of our par 3's had to have a different player who's tee shot we had to use. As it wasn't a shotgun start every team would have someone teeing off on our par 3, 18th hole, 198 yards to the middle.unfortunately the player in our group smashed the drive into bushes left which required a penalty drop, but we still got down in 4, but had we par'd it we would have finished tied first.

Springveldt

Visit site
Was away for a society day on Saturday, we played at Castle Park near Haddington. Quite a lot of the lads aren’t serious golfers so it’s more of a day away to get drunk and play some golf. The course was decent, greens a bit slow and the rough was just an instant lost ball. Played the front 9 in +2 which was a great score in the wind and with a few beers in me but the back 9 wasn’t so good with a 52 and 4 lost balls.

Then played yesterday at my brothers course who were holding an open (Drumpellier in Coatbridge) and I made the foolish decision to stay out on the drink till 2am when I had an 8:30 tee time. Predictably I wasn’t great, barely made the tee time and shot 89 without losing a ball. Course was in great condition though and the greens were fast and true. Enjoyed the company though.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played today in a vet's comp here in OZ, played off a 3 handicap and shot 5 over.....it was wet and windy, thought I was back in England.

About 140 in the field, great day, cost about 12 quid, coffee and bread with Vegemite or Peanut butter on arrival, game of golf and a hot roast beef roll after.....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played this morning and I thought I'd woken up in the middle of January
What the hell is going on...single figure temperature, cold wind chill and rain....
Had full winter gear on and I could still feel it...
Anyway, another low 80s round...can't seem to better that at the moment....
Greens still like lightning from the weekend even with the rain, rough still rough.......
It was nice to get in for breakfast

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played this morning and I thought I'd woken up in the middle of January
What the hell is going on...single figure temperature, cold wind chill and rain....
Had full winter gear on and I could still feel it...
Anyway, another low 80s round...can't seem to better that at the moment....
Greens still like lightning from the weekend even with the rain, rough still rough.......
It was nice to get in for breakfast
Ten more days and then the nights start drawing in :cry: