I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

PaulMdj

Visit site
Played Goswick today, absolutely loved it, proper golf course, mix of holes presented before you, blind tee shots, great links course, everything you’d expect and more.
Regional Open qualifier being held there in 2 weeks, Course coming in to its own.

1 but, but there was no wind😂😂👍🏻 absolutely calm day.

Can’t speak highly enough of it, definitely going back to play it.

Had a nice chat with a young bloke who was having a practise round before he plays in the Regional qualifier, found out afterwards it was Lee Westwood’s son.

Oh yes, also put a card in and it is one of my best 8 and a little cut incoming.🏌🏻‍♂️🏌🏻‍♂️

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played my best round on my new course today! 😁

Absolutely NO IDEA where that came from 😲 as I have been really struggling to gain consistency...of swing, stance, strike, grip,...in fact everything!

It still was nowhere near the standard I was at 10 years ago handicapwise, but it was soooo pleasing to hit a shot in the intended direction. Putting was OK - holed a couple of good 10-12 footers but also made more errors than usual on long lag putts leading to the three-stab disease.

These greens are so pure that I've just realised how many years I've putted on mediocre (or just plain bad) surfaces.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a practice round at Felixstowe Ferry this afternoon ahead of an inter club team match next Thursday. Haven't played FF in about 8 years so had forgotten much about the course.

Typical June seaside weather was breezy and overcast (bearing on ominously dark) with the odd light shower thrown in here and there.

Played really well on the front nine and was level par gross for the first 7 holes before dropping four shots in the next 5 holes as we turned back into the breeze. Some dodgy chipping and approach play saw a further 4 shots dropped over the closing 6 holes which are a lot more narrow with more complex green arrangements than the first 12. A couple of great putts saw me grab a couple of pars over the closing 3 holes and i ended up with a gross 80 for 38 points off the 10 h'cap I was playing off.

Was a good day out and despite my partner and I losing our match with the other pair in our fourball we actually scored the best combined pair stableford score to recoup a few small round beer tokens....I think I was £2 up overall... before I bought a round of drinks...as my wife says...i'm not going to get rich anytime soon at the golf mularkey.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
After playing classic clubs there last year, I returned to Painswick today playing hickory.

I don't think I'll be going back for a good few years.

Even though I only played it last year I still got lost at one point.

Trying to play it without a distance finder of any sort made it extremely difficult gauging what club to hit. Hit some beauties only to never see the ball again. I finished up with one ball which I'd cadged off a playing partner.

Parred the first, the last and one in the middle but don't ask about the rest. 10 points out, 9 back.

It didn't rain though!

AussieKB

Visit site
Had a practice round at Felixstowe Ferry this afternoon ahead of an inter club team match next Thursday. Haven't played FF in about 8 years so had forgotten much about the course.

Typical June seaside weather was breezy and overcast (bearing on ominously dark) with the odd light shower thrown in here and there.

Played really well on the front nine and was level par gross for the first 7 holes before dropping four shots in the next 5 holes as we turned back into the breeze. Some dodgy chipping and approach play saw a further 4 shots dropped over the closing 6 holes which are a lot more narrow with more complex green arrangements than the first 12. A couple of great putts saw me grab a couple of pars over the closing 3 holes and i ended up with a gross 80 for 38 points off the 10 h'cap I was playing off.

Was a good day out and despite my partner and I losing our match with the other pair in our fourball we actually scored the best combined pair stableford score to recoup a few small round beer tokens....I think I was £2 up overall... before I bought a round of drinks...as my wife says...i'm not going to get rich anytime soon at the golf mularkey.
Felixstowe Ferry brings back happy memories, I lived in Suffolk for a time and the wife is from there, so played there quite a few times, was offered a freebie on my trip last Month but did not get up there to my disappointment.

Remember watching Julie Hall(formerly Wade) play in the men's comp on a Saturday afternoon off the Men's Tee, a very great lady golfer.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a team open at West Lancashire yesterday afternoon, the course was fabulous as was the weather (or a change). It was a lovely change to see the ball running although it took me a few holes to get used to having to run balls into the greens.
It cost us £60 each, which is less than a 3rd of the normal green fee, next year it is going up to £80, I do that the cost of opens, especially on the better courses, is rising a lot and may well price me out after this year, which would be a shame.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Midweek medal today....
4 over on the front 9 with a triple on the 1st :rolleyes:
2 doubles and 4 bogeys on the back 9 scuppered the card...6 shots dropped in the last 4 holes...
The driver is causing most of the issues...when it's good it's good..when it's not it's destructive.
4 poor drives cost me 8 shots.....

PaulMdj

Visit site
Final day was at Dunstanburgh Castle GC, another excellent day, course is a bit meh for the first 5 holes then really plays as a links course.

The wind returned today which was helpful on the back 9.

Great 3 days and have to say if you’re a golfer and haven’t visited Northumberland you really are missing out.

Putting the last 3 days in to my ranking I’d have to say:
1. Goswick
2. Dunstanburgh Castle
3. Bamburgh Castle

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just had a look at the latest table position for the 18 hole comp I played in today.
Someone is winning it with 43 points. They have a handicap of 57. Scored 10 for one on one hole. Parred the last 5 for 5. How do you compete with that.
Person who is second with 41 points. Has a handicap of 45.

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit late to the table with this, but played Blackmoor on Sunday in the Hampshire Bowl. This was played at the same time as the Hampshire county champs, so the course was in great condition, with the tees as far back as they could be, with quick greens and tough pins.

I didn’t score well, with only 26 points, but I actually thought I hit the ball very well. Putting was just incredibly hard, so different to our place and I just took too long to get used to the pace and the break.

It’s a course I could happily play every week.