I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Skytot

Visit site
Never played there. Is it worth the drive up?
I played it today also , well did 9 holes and stared raining , luckily only paid £10 for 9 h. It a great little course with 2 great par 3s. I wouldn’t make a special trip to play it ( too far from Manchester) but if you are on holiday like me it’s well worth £20 a round . Great little clubhouse with some great food .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I played it today also , well did 9 holes and stared raining , luckily only paid £10 for 9 h. It a great little course with 2 great par 3s. I wouldn’t make a special trip to play it ( too far from Manchester) but if you are on holiday like me it’s well worth £20 a round . Great little clubhouse with some great food .
Just over the rd is some bungalows, a pal of mine had two and rented one out. It was glorious. Some of the folk that live on that estate have back gates a ride there golf buggy’s to the course and back. Apparently one of the holes “ the cove” was rated one of the hardest 18 holes in the world. There’s a story about it in the clubhouse.

Skytot

Visit site
Just over the rd is some bungalows, a pal of mine had two and rented one out. It was glorious. Some of the folk that live on that estate have back gates a ride there golf buggy’s to the course and back. Apparently one of the holes “ the cove” was rated one of the hardest 18 holes in the world. There’s a story about it in the clubhouse.
Just googled it . It’s the par 3 - 15th over the cove . When I played it last year it was playing quite easy , it was a lovely day with no wind . I managed a par . It’s not long , wedge I think but if that wind is blowing it must be treacherous . The 10th over a pond is the other great par 3

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just googled it . It’s the par 3 - 15th over the cove . When I played it last year it was playing quite easy , it was a lovely day with no wind . I managed a par . It’s not long , wedge I think but if that wind is blowing it must be treacherous . The 10th over a pond is the other great par 3
The wind was blowing yesterday, and my tee shot ended up in the North Sea. Got my par on the 10th though 😁

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Never played there. Is it worth the drive up?

I actually prefer it to Dunstanburgh and Bamburgh, probably because I’ve played well the 3 times I’ve played it, while I’ve struggled at the other 2 which are both pretty tough when the wind is blowing.

A few of the holes are a bit marmite - you cross the main road to play 3-8, which are pretty standard parkland holes (still decent though), and 9 and 18 criss-cross each other, however I really like the variety, and the 12 holes on the coast side of the road are all great imo.

I’d guess it will be about a 40 minute drive for you, definitely worth that drive.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
From what I remember, a prominent golf magazine guy turned up at the course. He stood on the tee on the “ cove” and went through every club in the bag inc the driver and could not hit the green. Apparently the wind was brutal that day and is like that only a couple of times a year. He reported it was one of the hardest 18 holes in the world. A guy in the clubhouse said “ the day after it was one of the easiest holes in the world.
Oh ah, the par three over the water is an absolute gorgeous hole. That pond has claimed a few balls. 😁

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
From what I remember, a prominent golf magazine guy turned up at the course. He stood on the tee on the “ cove” and went through every club in the bag inc the driver and could not hit the green. Apparently the wind was brutal that day and is like that only a couple of times a year. He reported it was one of the hardest 18 holes in the world. A guy in the clubhouse said “ the day after it was one of the easiest holes in the world.
Oh ah, the par three over the water is an absolute gorgeous hole. That pond has claimed a few balls. 😁
It’s not a pond, it’s a lake😁

It’s a great hole, definitely gets the heart beating faster when you are hitting your tee shot. First time I played it, it was into the teeth of a gale, I took driver and it only just made it. Yesterday it was a 9 iron 😁

Skytot

Visit site
While we are on the Northumberland theme . What’s your thoughts on Goswick , it’s £110 to play . I know it’s supposed to be a great course and the Mrs said I should play it next time I’m up here . But don’t know if I can justify the fee whilst playing on my own. ( I start to mess about 😄)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While we are on the Northumberland theme . What’s your thoughts on Goswick , it’s £110 to play . I know it’s supposed to be a great course and the Mrs said I should play it next time I’m up here . But don’t know if I can justify the fee whilst playing on my own. ( I start to mess about 😄)
Goswick is a great course, which I could certainly justify above average green fees for, but like you I would hesitate to pay that for playing on my own.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

I played a twilight round there last year and it was £50 quid, worth every penny of that.

One of the friendliest clubs I've ever been to as well, everyone was lovely.

Ended up playing the last 4 holes with some younger members and they were top lads. Although made me very depressed when they told me how much their junior membership cost 😂.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I played a twilight round there last year and it was £50 quid, worth every penny of that.

One of the friendliest clubs I've ever been to as well, everyone was lovely.

Ended up playing the last 4 holes with some younger members and they were top lads. Although made me very depressed when they told me how much their junior membership cost 😂.
This.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Mottram Hall yesterday with two mates. Scampered round in 3.5hours. Crumbs we were quick. We'd have been less but for the greens. Lord they were quick. Picked cut and rolled. What a fantastic course! Played there a few years ago but had no recollection of it. Lovely place though! Proper challenge. The young lad in the shop were a pleasure to chat to whilst I was waiting for my mates to turn up. Gave me food for thought about where to play next year. It's a bit expensive, but they assurred me it was open for most of the winter, minimum of 9 hole open and on proper greens. If we got decent breaks in the weather it would be worth it.

Tashyboy

Visit site
It’s not a pond, it’s a lake😁

It’s a great hole, definitely gets the heart beating faster when you are hitting your tee shot. First time I played it, it was into the teeth of a gale, I took driver and it only just made it. Yesterday it was a 9 iron 😁
There’s a couple of tees on there and the last time I played was on the furthest tee over the lake. It is a daunting tee shot.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I has a match yesterday against one of our regular group who plays off 5. I was getting 4 strokes.

Didn't start well as I pulled my opening drive into undergrowth, never to be seen again. Not finding the ball didnt make any difference as opponent rolled a birdie putt in from about 10ft with my provisional lying on the green having played six.

Steadied after that and we halved the next three holes in regulation pars before I made my first shot of the match pay on the 5th as we both made par. I promptly gave the hole straight back on the next after an aggressive first putt raced about 6ft by and I failed to make the return. The light rain that had accompanied us down the 6th turned into a torrential downpour on the 7th which did neither of us any favours and my 7 nett 6 looked good until my opponent holed out from about 12ft for a six and a half. Still distracted by the rain i pushed my tee shot on 8 to the right needing a decent shot over trees to find the green....seems like trees really are not 90% air. Simple regulation pars at the 9th saw me 2 down over all...not too bad considering my opponent was 1 over gross.

The short 10th saw me find a green side bunker from the tee and I was unable to get up and down. We then traded the 11th and 12th holes before coming to the long par 4 13th, a loose approach saw me find light rough just off the fringe of the green and I elected to putt but got it all wrong leaving myself about 10ft to make bogey and nett par. When my opponent holed his par putt from 15ft and I failed to make my bogey putt the match looked lost at 4 down with 5 to play.

However...like a dying fly on its back waving its legs in an almost futile resistance against the inevitable, I somehow won 14 and 15 (my final shot hole) to make the match score a more respectable 2 down with 3 to play....

....and ballsed up 16 big style... as I nearly missed my tee shot, with the ball launching like no hybrid ever should, popping right up and travelling maybe 75 yards into deep rough. My opponent put the nail in the coffin by finding the heart of the green. After 3 futile minutes of looking for my ball I headed back to the tee in order, in my words at the time, "to replay my tee shot in the hope of holing it and forcing him to hole his birdie putt to end the match". I absolutely nutted my second attempt from the tee, the ball never left the flag, pitched short at the front edge of the green, rolled up, and from my vantage point some 170yds away looked for all the world like it was heading straight in to the hole...but it didn't have the momentum and finished just a few feet short. Opponent lagged his 20 footer to the side of the hole and we shook hands.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My up and down season continues. After a poor round last week, far better today. Looser grip, shorter backswing, slower swing speed. So much tighter, cleaner ball striking. I just need to be able to do this 2 weeks on the trot 🙄.

The only pain, my tennis elbow flared up half way around. Ouch. I'll get the resistance bar out this afternoon, that usually does the job.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, I'd been playing better.....just had to go kaput, didn't it? Terrible start, kind of gave up after 3 holes and just resigned myself to a long slog before I could go home. 6 holes to go, I adjusted my lead arm and kept it straighter and a bit wider.....-1 the last 6 holes. Today......I hate golf.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was going along very nicely with 30 points after 15 holes, despite missing a few short putts.

3 holes later, I was still on 30 after 3 terrible drives that came out of nowhere.

Crap end to a good round, am putting it down to tiredness causing me to run out of steam.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a Mizuno Pairs five day package in Yorkshire this week and some cracking courses (all new to me) as follows:

Moor Allerton - several interesting holes to play with a number of elevation changes. Course was quite wet in places and a few of the greens were not in great condition. Enjoyed the course though.

Moortown - tough if you go off line, but fair. Clearly a great course, but I was a little underwhelmed given its reputation. Holes 11-14 are fairly similar and parallel going up and down a hill. Unfortunately, the rain arrived for the last four holes.

Fulford - a parkland style course of high quality. Again tough if offline, and really enjoyed playing here.

Alwoodley - moorland course like Moortown, but was a step up in quality compared to its neighbour. Very tough set up if, like me, your game was not at its best. Rained for the full round and when the wind picked up for the last six holes was brutal. Would definitely go back when the weather is better and my ball striking is in a better place.

Ganton - famed for its deep bunkers, of which I found five in the first five holes. Got soaked during holes 3 to 5, but was dry thereafter. Rightly a highly rated course and thoroughly enjoyed it. Found it more playable for a higher handicapper than Alwoodley the day before.

Overall a great week and thanks to the organisers. Played off the whites each day other than Ganton (yellows). This made some courses long (6,700+ yards) you’re not used to that length.

A tip for anyone booking a multi day Mizuno Pairs event. When booking it says that you are choosing your tee time for day one and the best of the days would be drawn. That was misleading. We found that the subsequent days are not drawn and we got the same time each day, other than one that was pushed back an hour as the first tee time that day had to be pushed back.