I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today in a vet's comp here in OZ, played off a 3 handicap and shot 5 over.....it was wet and windy, thought I was back in England.

About 140 in the field, great day, cost about 12 quid, coffee and bread with Vegemite or Peanut butter on arrival, game of golf and a hot roast beef roll after.....
Bargin!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Annual golf trip with the lads this weekend. Went back to MacDonald Portal. Sunday played the Championship and today the Premier.

Played well both days despite not playing too much recently. Tiredness kicked in on the last 4 holes today after a late night but we managed to win the pairs comp today.

Got soaked yesterday. Horrible weather, so changeable at the moment. We all thought the championship course is better than the premier. It was a bit meh today if I'm being honest. Too many bland long holes, on both courses really, only the elevated par3 today that I could say was a decent hole.

Yesterday was better but again nothing really outstanding hole wise on the course. The greens were in good condition and the course was tidy enough.

I don't think we'll be back. The food was decent, bar prices better with the 10% discount but still pretty ridiculous but standard for hotel prices.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Stableford today. I played 1973 Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to SW, 1987 Mizuno White Fang 1, 3 & 5 woods and 1957 Dunlop Peter Thomson putter.

Started with a three putt double which set the tone for my putting, rubbish! Kept leaving them short.

17 points out 18 back for 35, which saw me in 4th place, 38 won it. A little more positive on the putting and I could have contended.

After losing 6 balls yesterday my primary objective was to keep out the cabbage, which I did and didn't lose a ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors Stableford today. I played 1973 Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to SW, 1987 Mizuno White Fang 1, 3 & 5 woods and 1957 Dunlop Peter Thomson putter.

Started with a three putt double which set the tone for my putting, rubbish! Kept leaving them short.

17 points out 18 back for 35, which saw me in 4th place, 38 won it. A little more positive on the putting and I could have contended.

After losing 6 balls yesterday my primary objective was to keep out the cabbage, which I did and didn't lose a ball.
What balls do you use with these clubs.?
Do modern balls cause them any problems.?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
What balls do you use with these clubs.?
Do modern balls cause them any problems.?

For competitions they have to be conforming balls, I generally play one of the soft balls; Callaway Supersoft, Titleist True Feel, Srixon Soft Feel, Wilson Duo, etc.

The only slight problem is that modern balls are designed to be low spinning on long shots to suit modern driver characteristics.
Old drivers were designed to work with spinnier balls. You can still get away with it but you don't get that rising ball flight from your driver that was a feature of golf back in the day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For competitions they have to be conforming balls, I generally play one of the soft balls; Callaway Supersoft, Titleist True Feel, Srixon Soft Feel, Wilson Duo, etc.

The only slight problem is that modern balls are designed to be low spinning on long shots to suit modern driver characteristics.
Old drivers were designed to work with spinnier balls. You can still get away with it but you don't get that rising ball flight from your driver that was a feature of golf back in the day.
Yes I remember my old persimmon Mizuno.

I still have a minus AOA from hitting them a long time ago now.👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
13 holes yesterday late afternoon. Course in great condition. And as far as my golf…well…eventually things seem to be dropping into place - birdied this hole with both balls I was playing…one chip in, one a long putt.

IMG_2257.jpeg

PaulMdj

Visit site
Bamburgh Castle today, just fantastic, course in excellent condition, caught 1 shower, otherwise dry with sunny spells, but windy, as per normal.

Didn’t spoil the day, not very good off the tee, my slice loved the wind, 5 provisionals in total, only 1 not used.

Just loved every minute, definitely a course you need to plot your way round, 6 x Par 3’s varying in length from 127yds to 204yds.

Definitely a course I’ll return too.

@Billysboots Make sure you’ve got suncream and your waterproofs.😬

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Afternoon off to play a round with my wife, on my home course - one last practise round for me before this weekend's club champs. My mate joined us too. Game of two halves for me. Front nine absolutely woeful, up there with the worst golf I've played this year - 49 for 11 points. Tried very hard to lose my ball with some terrible tee shots but it kept turning up somehow.

Back nine vastly improved, even finished with a birdie on 18 for 38 for 20 points. Daft game! 87 & 31 points. My mate actually did it backwards to a lesser extent, 38/20 points out and 44/13 points in. His front nine and my back nine would've been some round!

My wife hasn't played all 18 at my club before, she struggled in places but ended with a respectable 118 for 32 points, beating me by one!

Eureka set-up still has potential to be very good, clearly shown on the back nine, but I feel I wasn't really concentrating properly on the front nine, nor did we get any kind of warm-up, so just turning up and expecting it to work straight away wasn't the one. Would like one more range session before the weekend, but happy to keep it going for the Club Champs.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors handicap club champs today which is a medal off the back tees. 9 straight pars to start. No hassle, just one tricky up and down from the rough on hole 6 which I got to tap in range. A bad tee shot on the par 3 10th led to a bogey. Easy par on 11 and then one of the wheels came off. 12 is a sharp dog leg right and I hit my tee shot through this into the rough. A five iron just to pump the ball down the adjacent fairway and the rough turned the club over causing my ball to go left and just out of bounds 😢. A triple bogey 7 on the card. Three putt the next green after putting my ball in the completely wrong place on the green. Then par all the way in for a 75 nett 73. Winner had a nett 65 with a handicap of 27. I never stood a chance 🤣

Main club champs on Saturday which includes the seniors scratch club champs. Hopefully I will fayre a bit better.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Started on the back nine today with a steady 19 points and I hit the ball really well. Just pipped with 20 points. Back nine, some was really good. Other purgatory. Won the last par three with a three wood to 20 ft from 175yds. Then three putted 😖
Winning the comp and a two in the last comp made me £68 shame I don’t need owt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Carden Park in the seniors open 4bbb today.
Great course the Cheshire in really good condition.
Bit windy made it very tricky.
Had 39 pts just 8 behind the winners.😳😳
Could not see a 47pts out there but a great day out.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played this morning and shot 7 over, had a four putt in that as well from 20 feet......weather was great, played in shirt sleeves the last 8 holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had really enjoyable time (despite the ‘all over the place’ weather) with three mates from my club playing Hankley Common on a courtesy. My golf was pretty rubbish but playing with my mate from Edinburgh in a 4BBB 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿match managed a nice little win…and it’s always a lovely track to play 👍

AussieKB

Visit site
Had really enjoyable time (despite the ‘all over the place’ weather) with three mates from my club playing Hankley Common on a courtesy. My golf was pretty rubbish but playing with my mate from Edinburgh in a 4BBB 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿match managed a nice little win…and it’s always a lovely track to play 👍
Played there on my recent trip last month, a very great layout......first played Hankley about 1990 and been lucky enough to have played there a half dozen times since, if you have not played it, then put it on your Bucket List, you will not be disappointed.