I have this golf thing sorted now ;)

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played on Sunday, my normay weekday partner and 2 juniors made the 4 ball- had a woeful 26 points with generally every part of my game being poor.

The juniors both had over 40 points and where only 12 and 14 years old with low teen handicaps. :eek:

When I went home I reflected on my playing. Basically my driving was crap at the usual holes - slice OB and Hook OB in different holes, this has formed a bit of a pattern which led me to think about the young cubs club choice and their bravado.

On the tight holes thay both took out the 3 woods (check out the big dog post) but when they took out the drivers they just stood up and thumped it a mile.

I went out last night for a few quick ones to try the 3 wood - but when I took out the big dog I realised that I was quitting and coming out of the shot before the ball was hit. I wasa not doing this with my 3 wood and felt it straight away.

This seems to be the source of my recient bad form.

Basically I was steering the ball which was killing my game, before I had gust thought I was not turning the hands - so if you hare having problems with balls going left right and straight try this and commit to the shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Glad you have found the source of the problem. Sounds like you need to find some sort of pre-shot routine on these bogey holes to install confidence before you swing. Check my post on mentality as it refers to negative thoughts = negative actions

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Glad you have found the source of the problem. Sounds like you need to find some sort of pre-shot routine on these bogey holes to install confidence before you swing. Check my post on mentality as it refers to negative thoughts = negative actions

I have kinda forgot about a PSR - will have to try and start one up again.

Cheers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing with a pre-shot routine is that it has to be natural and particularly grooved to the speed you play. Quick players might just take one practice swing and then set up.

Other players might like to address the ball from behind, come into it and take few waggles or practice swings before playing the shot. The main thing is it must be natural and not forced or contrived at all otherwise it just becomes one more thing for you to worry about during the round.

If it helps I use my glove as a trigger. On the tee, once I put my glove on I'm in shot mode. I'll pick my club, peg it up and normally pick a side of the fairway and a reference point (bunker or tree in the distance). I'll take one practice swing focussing on making a full shoulder turn and then play the shot.

On the fairway once I get to my ball I'll put my bag down first and assess my lie, distance to the flag etc. Once I have done that and I am happy with what I am doing will I put my glove on which is my trigger to focus on the shot. I'll choose a club, take one more assessment of things like the wind to make sure I ma happy with my selection. Then its one practice swing and play the shot.

Once the shot has been played and I've seen where the ball has finished the first thing I do is take the glove off. This tells me that the shot is over and I can relax and look at what the other players are doing, the wildlife etc as I pick my bag up and move on to the next shot.