I had a lesson today and...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Old habits are really hard to move away from, it takes a lot of practice to get new movements/patterns to stick. Golf in winter really does show if you're striking the ball well or not, its definitely less forgiving than in summer.

At least you don't suck the club way inside there's nowhere to go from there. Just ask my dad :ROFLMAO:

Funny thing for me was I shot my lowest score for a very long time yesterday in the cold windy conditions (4 under gross through the 12 holes that were open, this is not the norm.). I don't know if I was implementing what I was told in the lesson though it's difficult when you're trying to make changes and play golf at the same time.
Short game still my killer. Sure 80% is now a mental block. Take away the wet winter conditions which is just exaggerating the issue but getting so bogged down in technique to the point where I simply can't execute. Fats are the usual outcome. Trying to park it now until firmer conditions and then getting an hour refresher. I need to keep it simple but its been an issue for so long now I think I need to lose the mental baggage and play like a kid

Funt1m3

Visit site
Just had my first lesson of 2022. Went well as usual, but what really amazed me at the end was I’ve always thought I was just not strong enough or fast enough to get distance. We got on the tracker thingy and he said watch this, I’ll strike with exactly the same club speed as you…

Result? He went 15% further with the exact speed! Ball strike, ball strike, ball strike

I’m now going into 2022 aiming for DeChambau!

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
My question is that when you’re a low single-figure HCAP, how do you know what to work on?

My aims for the series of lessons I’ve got is primarily to improve consistency of strike - no thinning and fatting, and then I play to have wedge lessons for chipping and pitching, and then FW woods off the deck..

But to get to 3 HCAP, presumably you’re fully capable of doing these things well….as well as drawing / cutting at will..so how do scratch golfers know what’s best to work on? Is their aim of swing changes to improve GIR or FIR?

For me it's to have a more consistent swing, so similar to you in reality, maybe just on a slightly higher level. I know that my swing is far from perfect and with its current state it's very timing based, so I have good and bad days as I'm relying too much on my hand eye coordination. I just have to look at my scores to see that I can shoot under par one day and 10 over the next. Yes I can hit fades/draws but they don't come off all the time. But my main issue is my bad shots cost me too many shots, I'll hit a massive hook with the driver that goes out of bounds and hit too many short iron shots that miss the green and it all stems from my transition. I do find it hard to see my own swing issues, hence why I'm having lessons again and I'm also no expert on the golf swing.

I suppose everyone is different as I've played with lots of low single figure golfers and the way they all play the game is very different, some don't hit the ball very far but pitch, chip and putt you to death and others just hit the ball a fairly long way so they're closer to the green and hit lots of greens as they're hitting wedges into the green but they may lose a ball or 2 and that's their round gone (this is me).

Stat tracking is a good way to see where you need to improve too. I've got a shotscope so I can track all my stats. On my good days my strokes gained off the tee are similar to a tour pro because of my length but on a bad day when I lose a couple of balls that changes drastically. In short it will give you a good insight into what your tendancies are in your game as a whole and what you may need to work on.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Short game still my killer. Sure 80% is now a mental block. Take away the wet winter conditions which is just exaggerating the issue but getting so bogged down in technique to the point where I simply can't execute. Fats are the usual outcome. Trying to park it now until firmer conditions and then getting an hour refresher. I need to keep it simple but its been an issue for so long now I think I need to lose the mental baggage and play like a kid

I have to say it's very difficult this time of year to get a crisp strike on your chips you just can't use the bounce of the club like you can in summer. I think you're right in just not worry about it too much when the ground conditions are as they currently are. Confidence is massive when chipping and pitching, I think most golfers myself included just worry too much about hitting a bad shot instead of just enjoying the challenge.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had my first lesson of 2022. Went well as usual, but what really amazed me at the end was I’ve always thought I was just not strong enough or fast enough to get distance. We got on the tracker thingy and he said watch this, I’ll strike with exactly the same club speed as you…

Result? He went 15% further with the exact speed! Ball strike, ball strike, ball strike

I’m now going into 2022 aiming for DeChambau!

Exactly what my pro said to me about my iron shots, I flip at impact adding loft and hitting my irons too high and also not hitting down on them enough. He said you swing it faster than I do but I hit my irons further and proceeded to do the same thing as your pro did. When I get it right the ball flight is much lower and the strike feels so much better.

evemccc

Visit site
Exactly what my pro said to me about my iron shots, I flip at impact adding loft and hitting my irons too high and also not hitting down on them enough. He said you swing it faster than I do but I hit my irons further and proceeded to do the same thing as your pro did. When I get it right the ball flight is much lower and the strike feels so much better.

This is exactly what I had today in my lesson today!!

I have never thought I didn’t hit down on my 8/9 irons, I had assumed I always did….apparently my Angle of Attack is too shallow with the high-lofted irons, causing too high launch….I was 1 degrees down when I should be aiming for 4 or 5 or so — apparently

I had never thought I flipped at impact…but apparently I do too ??

If I follow correctly, the smash factor and centreness of strike will increase, if I reduce launch….which will also help distance and playing into the wind ??

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

I have never thought I didn’t hit down on my 8/9 irons, I had assumed I always did….apparently my Angle of Attack is too shallow with the high-lofted irons, causing too high launch….I was 1 degrees down when I should be aiming for 4 or 5 or so — apparently

Yeah I always thought I was hitting down on the ball but obviously not anywhere near enough, when you get it right the ball flight is totally different.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Always think its a real eye opener at a lesson when you are certain your aren't doing something and then you get shown a video or a launch monitor and the evidence is there. I felt sure I had cracked the outside takeaway but put an empty coffee cup just outside the line warming up yesterday and hit it several times so still work to be done

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Always think its a real eye opener at a lesson when you are certain your aren't doing something and then you get shown a video or a launch monitor and the evidence is there. I felt sure I had cracked the outside takeaway but put an empty coffee cup just outside the line warming up yesterday and hit it several times so still work to be done

I guess you haven't had the playing lesson I suggested ages ago?

Yeah I always thought I was hitting down on the ball but obviously not anywhere near enough, when you get it right the ball flight is totally different.

This drill will help you increase your angle of attack....
Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball and listen for the clubhead thumping the mat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball and listen for the clubhead thumping the mat.

Bob

No I haven't had the playing lesson as the pro is attached to a range and par 3 course and although he could come to my course 10 minutes away he would obviously need to block more time out and so losing out on lessons so he isn't keen. I'll give the drill a go at the next range session and come back to you

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob

No I haven't had the playing lesson as the pro is attached to a range and par 3 course and although he could come to my course 10 minutes away he would obviously need to block more time out and so losing out on lessons so he isn't keen. I'll give the drill a go at the next range session and come back to you

The reason I suggested a playing lesson is it might improve your shot selection.
PM me if you want to know more

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

My angle of attack issue comes from my transition, when I did what my pro told me to do my 7 iron angle of attached went from around 1 down to 4 to 5 degrees down. I also had a good amount of shaft lean without even trying as I was rotating much more through the shot. He did say that once I master it I will actually hit the ball further too as I'll be using the bigger muscles more & correctly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lessons are the best way of spending your money to get better, new clubs can help a little (I'm guilty of always wanting the latest clubs) but having an expert pair of eyes giving you advice is definitely what I would advise everyone to do.

I've dipped in and out of having lessons myself over the years with various pros. I've recently started having lessons again with Scotty Howarth, he's getting me to change my transition which I'm finding very difficult as I've been stuck with my current pattern for around 20 years now. I've got my handicap down to 3 but I know that's pretty much as low as I'll get with my current swing, hence starting the lessons again. I've put a video below if anyone's interested in what I'm working on.

http://mail2.trackman.dk/track/clic...DYzYTc4MDcxMGM1YWQ4YmZkMmZmYjcwNGZjMFwiXX0ifQ
So totally get what you are saying - though at a higher handicap level.

Now off 10 and not long since off 8 - I'm currently having lessons to completely change how I hit the ball (swing the club).

'Why are you doing this'? friends ask 'you are a good golfer'. And indeed - many moons ago I got down to 6 but could not get any lower. But I knew that I couldn't, as I realised there were significant flaws in my swing that basically prevented me doing so. The fact that I have never gone round any track in better than one-over gross points to the fact that every round a couple of times things would go a bit wrong due to my swing flaw...I'd just chuck in a couple or three doubles - it was a complete blocker to improvement. But I had never had lessons, I swung the club as I had taught myself out of a book and by playing, but I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, indeed more so what I was doing wrong.

I persevered until 6months ago but had to admit defeat as the flaw that had caused me to fall off the tightrope I had walked pretty expertly for near 40yrs was wrecking my golf and my enjoyment of the game. I was falling off the tightrope almost every round. I could get myself back on the tightrope but I was no longer an expert tightrope walker, I wobbled all the time, and very regularly I just fell straight back off - sometimes very painfully. And so six months ago I got fed up falling off and getting 'hurt', and decided I had to fix things.

And for that and for the first time I am having lessons. However, even working very closely and regularly with my pro it is proving very, very difficult to break the habits of nearly 40ys. But things are changing and I am confident that I will get to the point where - as my pro tells me - we will get me round a course in level par gross for the first time ever, and we will get my handicap down to 6 within a year or two. He says that because, if I can crack the flaw then the blocker to my progress will be removed - he tells me I have sufficient innate long term learned short game touch and imagination, and course management skills, for that to happen.

But gosh golly, completely changing a swing that got me quite good is really tough - but it will be worth it.

Peter_Drake_teacher

Visit site
it felt miraculous.

In my last lesson we focussed on timing of hip rotation, and club head lag. It added a good 20 yards to all my irons...when I hit it well.

But I went from hitting it well (enough for me) about 70% of the time, all the way down to about 20% of the time.

In frustration I booked another lesson after just a couple of weeks. Within five minutes he identified the issue, and inside another ten minutes had identified an approach that resonated with me enough to get my hit rate back up to more like 50%, whilst preserving the distance.

I’ve come away knowing what to work on now to keep the improvement going.

Desperation to delight in under an hour ?
It is a total delight to come away from a lesson with a feeling like that! Keep on swinging! Peter Drake

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

Now off 10 and not long since off 8 - I'm currently having lessons to completely change how I hit the ball (swing the club).

'Why are you doing this'? friends ask 'you are a good golfer'. And indeed - many moons ago I got down to 6 but could not get any lower. But I knew that I couldn't, as I realised there were significant flaws in my swing that basically prevented me doing so. The fact that I have never gone round any track in better than one-over gross points to the fact that every round a couple of times things would go a bit wrong due to my swing flaw...I'd just chuck in a couple or three doubles - it was a complete blocker to improvement. But I had never had lessons, I swung the club as I had taught myself out of a book and by playing, but I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, indeed more so what I was doing wrong.

I persevered until 6months ago but had to admit defeat as the flaw that had caused me to fall off the tightrope I had walked pretty expertly for near 40yrs was wrecking my golf and my enjoyment of the game. I was falling off the tightrope almost every round. I could get myself back on the tightrope but I was no longer an expert tightrope walker, I wobbled all the time, and very regularly I just fell straight back off - sometimes very painfully. And so six months ago I got fed up falling off and getting 'hurt', and decided I had to fix things.

And for that and for the first time I am having lessons. However, even working very closely and regularly with my pro it is proving very, very difficult to break the habits of nearly 40ys. But things are changing and I am confident that I will get to the point where - as my pro tells me - we will get me round a course in level par gross for the first time ever, and we will get my handicap down to 6 within a year or two. He says that because, if I can crack the flaw then the blocker to my progress will be removed - he tells me I have sufficient innate long term learned short game touch and imagination, and course management skills, for that to happen.

But gosh golly, completely changing a swing that got me quite good is really tough - but it will be worth it.

One of my regular playing partners said a similar thing to me "you don't need lessons" but he's comparing his level to mine and there's a 15 shot difference in our handicaps so I can see where he is coming from but I know as I've previously mentioned I'm never going to be any better than I currently am unless I make these changes.

I have to agree though with how difficult it can be to change your swing, I have done it in the past though so I know I can do it. I used to sway off the ball & have a huge overs wing (many moons ago) but managed to move away from the move but the transition change is more difficult than my previous changes ever were.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I’ve not quite got 40 years golf experience, but my story is similar.
I got down to 5.4 with a flat swing and an over the top early release. I got away with it because my hand eye coordination was sooooo good. I didn’t hit it far but I had a very consistent fade and was accurate.

I stopped playing, when I started again I was straight back into the same swing, just with less speed and none of the hand eye coordination. I quickly got to the point of being able to manage my way round in the mid 80s, which I was happy with at first. But I knew I would not get better without addressing my swing. Especially as age and injury had robbed me of distance.

I’m part way through completely changing my setup and swing. I’m hitting shanks, which I have never done, even when a complete beginner. I hit the occasional fat 6” behind the ball and even fresh aired one for the first time ever during a round. It could completely destroy my confidence if there weren’t signs of improvement too, and importantly, I now know why I’m hitting those poor shots and what to do to correct them.
I’ve played the odd bad round where the FiL and my regular playing partner have both questioned my sanity as I continue to try to play with the new swing. As they would both be over the moon shooting under 85.

But. I’m determined over the winter to put the hard work in and fix it. I was out of the door at 7 this morning to go to a lesson where I spent an hour rehearing the impact position hitting 7 irons 50 to 75 yards.

My major golf goal for this year is the same as yours. Shoot a level par round. I’ve only done it once, previously. I’ve never shot under par, so I’m saving that for next years goal ?.

evemccc

Visit site

All sounds good SILH. When people say they're having lessons, how often and how many? Obviously mastering or improving golf is something that has no definite end-goal, so when do people feel like they've enough to work on?
Lessons are the best way of spending your money to get better, new clubs can help a little (I'm guilty of always wanting the latest clubs) but having an expert pair of eyes giving you advice is definitely what I would advise everyone to do.

I've dipped in and out of having lessons myself over the years with various pros. I've recently started having lessons again with Scotty Howarth, he's getting me to change my transition which I'm finding very difficult as I've been stuck with my current pattern for around 20 years now. I've got my handicap down to 3 but I know that's pretty much as low as I'll get with my current swing, hence starting the lessons again. I've put a video below if anyone's interested in what I'm working on.

http://mail2.trackman.dk/track/clic...DYzYTc4MDcxMGM1YWQ4YmZkMmZmYjcwNGZjMFwiXX0ifQ

Good video

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve not quite got 40 years golf experience, but my story is similar.
I got down to 5.4 with a flat swing and an over the top early release. I got away with it because my hand eye coordination was sooooo good. I didn’t hit it far but I had a very consistent fade and was accurate.

I stopped playing, when I started again I was straight back into the same swing, just with less speed and none of the hand eye coordination. I quickly got to the point of being able to manage my way round in the mid 80s, which I was happy with at first. But I knew I would not get better without addressing my swing. Especially as age and injury had robbed me of distance.

I’m part way through completely changing my setup and swing. I’m hitting shanks, which I have never done, even when a complete beginner. I hit the occasional fat 6” behind the ball and even fresh aired one for the first time ever during a round. It could completely destroy my confidence if there weren’t signs of improvement too, and importantly, I now know why I’m hitting those poor shots and what to do to correct them.
I’ve played the odd bad round where the FiL and my regular playing partner have both questioned my sanity as I continue to try to play with the new swing. As they would both be over the moon shooting under 85.

But. I’m determined over the winter to put the hard work in and fix it. I was out of the door at 7 this morning to go to a lesson where I spent an hour rehearing the impact position hitting 7 irons 50 to 75 yards.

My major golf goal for this year is the same as yours. Shoot a level par round. I’ve only done it once, previously. I’ve never shot under par, so I’m saving that for next years goal ?.
Love your story…you’re me - including the break…mine was 8 yrs with only a few rounds a year as we’d moved area and the children were very young. Flat In-to-Out swing that I could make work by spot on H2E coordination and very rapid hands squaring the club at impact, but still very I2O giving a low draw. Others thought it was a cool shape of shot and for as long as I played 6 rounds a week I walked my tightrope…but the shanks were always there - only coming out occasionally but I knew…

Then after the break the coordination was gone and I couldn’t get it back - and the shanks were multiple every round - I kept falling off the tightrope this time every round and often very painfully.

And shortly I am off to the range for half an hour to hit 7is, like you focussing on my strike position trying to get swing path O2I - and just 50-75yds much of the time. ??

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All sounds good SILH. When people say they're having lessons, how often and how many? Obviously mastering or improving golf is something that has no definite end-goal, so when do people feel like they've enough to work on?

Good video
How often and how many? I’m fortunate…my daughters partner is my pro, if he’s doing lessons on the range when I’m there he will often come over to me between lessons for maybe 10-15mins…plus when he’s got a gap in his teaching diary he’ll often give me a full lesson.

What I have to work on is easy for him to explain and for me to understand…but it is very very difficult for me to do…and it’s such a critical thing for me to change and get right that there is no point in us looking at anything else until we feel I am managing to make that change. It’ll be very obvious.

Last edited: