I had a lesson today and...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair play to you chaps. If I even got to 9 index I'd be so delighted I wouldn't change a damn thing. :LOL:
Yes - but you saw my swing at pre-H4H Camberley. And yes - I got it round in 6 over - 43pts or whatever it was - I maybe made it look easy but I bet you wondered how the heck I did it…well I managed to walk the tightrope as well as I can these days.

Then ask @Liverpoolphil or @Lilyhawk what I was like next day at H4H Blackmoor. A shambles of 24pts or whatever. I fell off that tightrope quite heavily a good many times during that round. It wasn’t ALL rubbish, and some of my golf was like Camberley…but oh dear…

And these two days exemplified perfectly me in transition from ‘what was’ to ‘what might be’

In fact @mikejohnchapman played with me both days…he saw - he understands ?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes - but you saw my swing at pre-H4H Camberley. And yes - I got it round in 6 over - 43pts or whatever it was - I maybe made it look easy but I bet you wondered how the heck I did it…well I managed to walk the tightrope as well as I can these days.

Then ask @Liverpoolphil or @Lilyhawk what I was like next day at H4H Blackmoor. A shambles of 24pts or whatever. I fell off that tightrope quite heavily a good many times during that round. It wasn’t ALL rubbish, and some of my golf was like Camberley…but oh dear…

And these two days exemplified perfectly me in transition from ‘what was’ to ‘what might be’

I'm actually not one of those who values what a swing looks like. If anything I love the more unorthodox swings. The proof is in the pudding as they say. :p But it all goes back to whether you're willing to put work into it anyway - you are, and I wouldn't be! That's why I say fair play to you.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm actually not one of those who values what a swing looks like. If anything I love the more unorthodox swings. The proof is in the pudding as they say. :p But it all goes back to whether you're willing to put work into it anyway - you are, and I wouldn't be! That's why I say fair play to you.

My swing is not what could be described as orthodox, or in any way pleasing on the eye. I’ve had people in the past comment on how surprised they were that I could score so well after seeing me swing on the 1st tee.

To address your earlier point. The beauty of golf is there is always improvement to be had. When you start breaking 100 and getting a HC is a big milestone. Then breaking 90, 80 and so on. The same with HC milestones 28 > 18 > 12 > single figures > cat 1 > scratch > plus.

When I played previously I chased the next thing. But did so by playing smash it, find it, smash it again golf 3/4/5 times a week. I was usually playing with scratch and plus HC players so picked up a lot of good short game habits. From 50 yards I was every bit as good as them, I just didn’t have the length to compete. I very rarely shot a score in the 80s but never really ever threatened to break par.

12 months ago if someone told me I’d have an index of 9.3 within a year. I would firstly have laughed at them, then said I would be more than happy with that.

Now I don’t care what my HI is. I genuinely have no interest in it other than it’s a rough guide to my ability and it allows me to play in some opens and club comps. My interest is in whether or not my ball striking is improving and how low a score I can shoot.

evemccc

Visit site
One of my regular playing partners said a similar thing to me "you don't need lessons" but he's comparing his level to mine and there's a 15 shot difference in our handicaps so I can see where he is coming from but I know as I've previously mentioned I'm never going to be any better than I currently am unless I make these changes.

I have to agree though with how difficult it can be to change your swing, I have done it in the past though so I know I can do it. I used to sway off the ball & have a huge overs wing (many moons ago) but managed to move away from the move but the transition change is more difficult than my previous changes ever were.

Can I ask how often you’re having lessons, and how often you practice between?

I have just bought a package of lessons from a pro who I like his personality, teaching set-up, and communication style.

I am thinking of 30 mins every two or three weeks…probably I’m only able to play once or twice a week between lessons plus a range session….I’m certainly not flush with cash so don’t want to waste these lessons and have shown no real progression between sessions

I originally had thought five sessions would see me cover Long irons, wedge-pitching, driver, and a putting lesson —— now I see how naive and optimistic I was in thinking that!!

Unless I can fix the chicken-wing and make consistent striking, there’s not going to be any putting or driving lessons in this series of lessons ?

Obviously it’s down to me to embed the changes and practice efficiently when I do get to practice…so do you reckon a lesson every 2/3 weeks is good amount of a gap?

Last edited:

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Can I ask how often you’re having lessons, and how often you practice between?

I have just bought a package of lessons from a pro who I like his personality, teaching set-up, and communication style.

I am thinking of 30 mins every two or three weeks…probably I’m only able to play once or twice max between lessons plus a range session….I’m certainly not flush with cash so don’t want to waste these lessons and have shown no real progression between sessions

I originally had thought five sessions would see me cover Long irons, wedge-pitching, driver, and a putting lesson —— now I see how naive and optimistic I was in thinking that!!

Unless I can fix the chicken-wing and make consistent striking, there’s not going to be any putting or driving lessons in this series of lessons ?

I'm trying to have a lesson every 3 to 4 weeks and each lesson is 60 to 90 minutes long. I feel I get more out of a longer lesson as it gives me more time with my pro to ingrain a feeling in my swing.

Practice wise I try to go to the range 3 times a week and hit approximately 100 balls but also do drills in-between hitting each ball. I also play once a week but I do find playing difficult as it's far too easy to forget about the new moves I'm trying to implement and end up trying to put a score together rather than focusing on making the necessary changes.

If I was you I'd focus on being able to swing the club correctly as the swing stays pretty much the same way with the difference being in your setup/stance and ball position.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
So today I had my second lesson with Scotty. We worked on More internal rotation of the left arm to get in a position where I can shallow the shaft. I found more success using my left arm rather than focusing on my right arm which I had been doing. I had an issue of letting my left arm get away from the body and go towards the ball so he gave me some drills to keep this back. We also worked on staying in my tilt to get the correct rotation.

Here are a few videos from the lesson

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZCgDb6MTp5/?utm_medium=copy_link

http://mail2.trackman.dk/track/clic...DYzYTc4MDcxMGM1YWQ4YmZkMmZmYjcwNGZjMFwiXX0ifQ

http://mail2.trackman.dk/track/clic...DYzYTc4MDcxMGM1YWQ4YmZkMmZmYjcwNGZjMFwiXX0ifQ

evemccc

Visit site
So today I had my second lesson with Scotty. We worked on More internal rotation of the left arm to get in a position where I can shallow the shaft. I found more success using my left arm rather than focusing on my right arm which I had been doing. I had an issue of letting my left arm get away from the body and go towards the ball so he gave me some drills to keep this back. We also worked on staying in my tilt to get the correct rotation.

Thanks for sharing this!

I find it very interesting to see what a low handicapper’s lessons look like. Please keep these coming :)

For myself after playing golf and not really improving much in the last year, I’ve recently found a pro who I think explains things well and have started to think much more about my swing and what I’m trying to do

After videoing myself (thanks for recommendation @Boomy ) I can see I’ve got to improve balance in follow through —- as well as many more things - But that was as clear as day from seeing myself back on video

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this!

I find it very interesting to see what a low handicapper’s lessons look like. Please keep these coming :)

For myself after playing golf and not really improving much in the last year, I’ve recently found a pro who I think explains things well and have started to think much more about my swing and what I’m trying to do

After videoing myself (thanks for recommendation @Boomy ) I can see I’ve got to improve balance in follow through —- as well as many more things - But that was as clear as day from seeing myself back on video

I will do, I've got another lesson lined up in a couple of weeks just need to work hard on my what I worked on in this lesson. He said once I nail this movement we'll get onto using the ground more and I can take my game as far as I want. Hopefully scratch or better won't be out of the question.
He put my swing next to Rory's as he said my mechanics are similar to his (obviously no where near his level though). I have been worried about getting the club too far behind me but it transpires that this feeling for me is exactly what I needed (left arm pinned to the chest) he said plenty of good players play from this position and it suits the way I swing the club.

That's good, I think that it's important that you find a pro who you can work well with and understand, it makes all the difference. Practice is also key as lots of people go for a lesson and want a quick fix and moan when they struggle and just go back to what they know. I'm not saying this is you though as it sounds like you're doing the right things.

I also video my swing a lot at the range to make sure I'm actually doing what I should be.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I had 30 mins on Friday, as always he tidied up a couple of things, around takeaway and getting a positive swing direction, the proof will be in my score tomorrow.

I have an online subscription which works brilliantly, I used some of my bonus from work to buy a lesson package, with the idea of having 30 minutes once a month. I’ve also got a playing lesson in a couple of weeks.

Brads

Visit site
Had lessons before I’ve even played on a course .
Been practicing what I’ve been taught and am hitting quite well.
Decided I wouldn’t be comfortable hacking away on course without a clue so the lessons were the best thing I could have done imo.
I started at how a ball stays in the air and what makes that happen with the club. third lesson was on driving and as I hadn’t a clue it completely changed everything I was doing and I’m now getting the ball down range with virtually every hit

After a start like this I’d recommend lessons to anyone.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Is that at Davenport GC ?

I've recently move to Macc and the guy I usually see for lessons is about an hour away now so I'm on the look out. Had one from Peter Barber at The Beeches and he was good, but Davenport is a bit closer.

Great swing BTW. ?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that at Davenport GC ?

I've recently move to Macc and the guy I usually see for lessons is about an hour away now so I'm on the look out. Had one from Peter Barber at The Beeches and he was good, but Davenport is a bit closer.

Great swing BTW. ?

Thanks Junior, my swing feels a little alien at the moment but it's wort changing it for the long run.

Yes it is at Davenport his brother Jamie also teaches there.

I go to the Beeches all the time, my boys love it there.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the bowed left wrist he seems to be suggesting but if it cures a problem you have then go for it

Why's that Bob? All good players have their lead wrist in flexion on their downswing. Some have it earlier than others but I don't know of any top players with their lead wrist in extension?

I just struggle to move from extension to flexion in my downswing so this is the feel that works for me.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think although it may increase clubhead speed, it can lead to a loss in accuracy.
But as I said, if it cures a problem you have then fine

D

Deleted member 1147

They said you were awful, but never mentioned your swing,…or golf game in general for that matter ???

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Big advocate of lessons as many will know. Haven't had a one-to-one lesson but went back through my video collection of shots from previous lessons and found something from about 5 months ago. Hitting it nicely and two 39 points this weekend. My pro is really good at making sure I have a visual to take away to refer back to and I often go back and check things when I start to go awry

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to basics for the driver, I had put so many band aids on all aspects of hitting driver it was beginning to look like nonsense even to me!

GCQuad spat the numbers out, path out to in around 5 degrees open club face anywhere from 8-10 degrees. I don’t know how I found many fairways looking at the numbers…. Smash factor way down 1.2-1.3

Total reset and path is much much better but still have the tendency to be a couple of degrees open with the face but smash factor way up to 1.42 on average. So now I have to hit about 1000 half swings trying to draw the ball and roll my wrists. On the up side when I caught the easy half swings well I was getting 200-205 carry so I need to nail this in time for summer so I can finally hit bombs!