I had a lesson today and...

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Had my lesson today.

I‘d managed to find another way to be massively inconsistent, which the pro instantly identified, and we spent the hour trying to get the change working on a few different clubs.

So I now expect to hit the ball ok for a week or so, at which point I’ll develop another fault, and spend 2-3 weeks of misery before my next lesson - at which he’ll identify another new fault, and so it will go on until the end of days.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Had my lesson today.

I‘d managed to find another way to be massively inconsistent, which the pro instantly identified, and we spent the hour trying to get the change working on a few different clubs.

So I now expect to hit the ball ok for a week or so, at which point I’ll develop another fault, and spend 2-3 weeks of misery before my next lesson - at which he’ll identify another new fault, and so it will go on until the end of days.
It’s will click eventually mate so stick with it. However if you fail to see progress over a few lessons, be willing to maybe change coaches. I say a few as we all go backwards at times having lessons The key is knowing the difference between a step back and just lacking progress.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm told that the overspeed training is a pretty fail safe method of increasing speed from 5-10% depending on the person and how dedicated they are to the training. I really dont think you could not get faster if you put in the exercises, so worth it I'd say.
I’d be very interested to as I’ve been thinking of getting some myself but including the radar, approx £325 = a lot of lessons.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d be very interested to as I’ve been thinking of getting some myself but including the radar, approx £325 = a lot of lessons.
The swing speed golf training aid is £118. You dont need a radar, it provides you with the list of exercises to do increasing the difficulty/length of time over a few months. You will see the results on course whether you have a speed measuring device or not, that to me just seems like a waste of money as it serves no real purpose.

albie999

Visit site
Am thinking of getting some lessons starting the end of this month as well. The pro I am thinking of, charges £50 for an hour, or £30 for 30 mins, and has access to full trackman/sim, so is able to give me the full data I need.

Just wondered, for my first lesson, would you go for the full hour, or just the 1/2 hour to start with?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Am thinking of getting some lessons starting the end of this month as well. The pro I am thinking of, charges £50 for an hour, or £30 for 30 mins, and has access to full trackman/sim, so is able to give me the full data I need.

Just wondered, for my first lesson, would you go for the full hour, or just the 1/2 hour to start with?
If I was seeing someone for the first time, I'd probably go for an hour first up and then dial it back to 30 mins for any subsequent ones. An hour gives you plenty of time to have a nice chat about where your whole game is, what you want to work on etc etc. Also gives time for him to see everything from putter up to driver so that he can hatch something of a plan. It's nice not to feel rushed in this scenario.
Although I've never done it, the best first session is probably too play 3 holes with him so he can see what happens on the course.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson last night - been a very long time since I had the last one. Got me going back to basics with my take away - I am going back too shallow which resulted in me going over the top and being very steep coming through to hit the ball leading to fats and slicing!

Thankfully sorted it out as best you can with one lesson and gave me a drill I can do indoors; holding my seven iron half way down the shaft and practicing hitting certain point in my take away to make sure I don't go from out to in in my down swing. Gave me something to look forward to do again!

Last edited:

Daveg99

Visit site
I only had one lesson previously as I was struggling with distance and seemed to hit almost every club the same distance (luckily that’s now sorted) but I’ve just booked 1 a month until May so hopefully get me to the next level. Definitely the way to go for long term improvement

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The swing speed golf training aid is £118. You dont need a radar, it provides you with the list of exercises to do increasing the difficulty/length of time over a few months. You will see the results on course whether you have a speed measuring device or not, that to me just seems like a waste of money as it serves no real purpose.
Yeah I get your point on the radar as superspeed want you to do everything full tilt anyway. I have a skytrak which I could use to monitor club head improvement.

The thing that stumps me about swing speed is that the weights are so different to superspeed who claim this spent significant money perfecting their product (or marketing! You choose!). I’m watching a mark crossfield series intently as he is using swing speed, just to see if he make real improvements.

Springveldt

Visit site
Although you don't need a radar I'd really recommend one to track your progress. I've got the Superspeed sticks (the 3 individual shafts that are red, green and blue) with the blue radar and I find the radar a really valuable tool in pushing myself to go faster. Some swings feel fast but then you look down at the radar and you are actually 5mph slower. Being able to track your speed turns it into a bit of a game as well as you push each session to get faster.

I found that doing them 3 times per week was best, if I tried to do them each night I wasn't giving my body enough time to recover (which sounds stupid since it's just swinging sticks for 15 minutes) but doing them 2 nights in a row the 2nd night was always slower.

I only did Phase 1 last year of the training and my driver has went from about 98mph to 104mph on Trackman and can top it out at 109mph but contact is usually garbage at that speed. I only did it for about 8 weeks last summer and haven't swung them since September but I don't feel I've lost any distance. I was at the range yesterday for the first time in 3 months (and I've only played 2 rounds since the start of October) but I was still carrying my driver to the back green as I did back in September.

I'm about to start them again for the upcoming season as it wasn't the brightest idea to start in the middle of the season since it does knock your timing to hell for a few weeks.

@Jigger I'd highly recommend them, they just flat out work.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Although you don't need a radar I'd really recommend one to track your progress. I've got the Superspeed sticks (the 3 individual shafts that are red, green and blue) with the blue radar and I find the radar a really valuable tool in pushing myself to go faster. Some swings feel fast but then you look down at the radar and you are actually 5mph slower. Being able to track your speed turns it into a bit of a game as well as you push each session to get faster.

I found that doing them 3 times per week was best, if I tried to do them each night I wasn't giving my body enough time to recover (which sounds stupid since it's just swinging sticks for 15 minutes) but doing them 2 nights in a row the 2nd night was always slower.

I only did Phase 1 last year of the training and my driver has went from about 98mph to 104mph on Trackman and can top it out at 109mph but contact is usually garbage at that speed. I only did it for about 8 weeks last summer and haven't swung them since September but I don't feel I've lost any distance. I was at the range yesterday for the first time in 3 months (and I've only played 2 rounds since the start of October) but I was still carrying my driver to the back green as I did back in September.

I'm about to start them again for the upcoming season as it wasn't the brightest idea to start in the middle of the season since it does knock your timing to hell for a few weeks.

I use the superspeed golf aid, I just do the exercises as instructed and swing as hard as possible on every swing. I have access to trackman when I see my coach every 3/4 weeks so can track progress on there. I'm looking to get my driver average speed up to 118 from 111 with a driver. Definitely hitting it further after only around 3 weeks or so

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Thanks that’s really informative.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
First range session after Tuesdays lesson, today. The signs are good...
I seen my coach on saturday, making a change to my backswing to get the club more on line at the top as I've been very slightly laid off for a while leading to a little inconsistency in my longer game. I spent 5 hours after the lesson n saturday hitting balls, an hour and a half on sunday, hit 200 balls monday, hit 200 tuesday, 100yesterday and spent an hour and a half this afternoon. we are getting there now ??

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Got my next lesson tomorrow. After 5yrs of hitting a slice with my driver, my new coach has completely fixed it With a very simple explanation. I've had 4 lessons with him now I’m going to ask for an assessment on my progress against the initial things we’ve been working on before we move on.