I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I live down the road and looking for my first club probably next season. The Nevill is definitely the front runner in that regard.

I "like" all the local clubs' Facebook pages and am always entering comps (for everything, not just golf stuff like this) so the win was nice. So I suppose to answer your question, yes. But hopefully not entirely!

Re the lesson & pro, you're totally right - everything he said clicked. Now just to get back out on the range and see if it still works!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a great lesson on Tuesday. It was satisfying to see that the backswing I have been working on is now almost natural with very few of my old faults creeping in.

From the new position I am now able to implement and understand what we have previously discussed about the release, it'll take time to hone but I know feel like I can do it where before it felt impossible.

Club champs on Sunday, what could possibly go wrong :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a lesson on Wednesday. Nothing to drastic other than tweaking set up and making sure I complete the back swing properly. Sunningdale came too soon with no chance to work on the changes properly before playing but some good swings in there especially hitting the 18th on the Old to ten feet. I need to check posture and alignment more often as it's too slouched and shoulders are open. If the job prospects don't pan out, plenty of time coming to work on it

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday, and it was the first time I have even used trackman. What a great piece of kit that is. Really interesting to see all the numbers and how if changing/achieving certain numbers can alter your potential on shots. Biggest thing was that I had an average 0 path and face was 0.4 closed to the path, which accounts for the slight shape I get on my shots. Also confirms to me that my swing is good enough to play this game I just need to work on the short game to get my handicap down.

On to the actual lesson, pro is happy with where things are and we are just trying to tidy things up a bit to get some more consistency in there. Main focus is keeping the left are straighter on the back swing, which will shorten the swing a touch and has me going back on a better plane and coming down on a better plane too. In with this is creating a bit more width in the takeaway, and making sure that the face is not closed in this section.

Also need to focus on rotating hips more on the downswing to help square the face better. Most of my bad shots come from having to flip at the ball and this should help fix that along with maintaining my height coming through. I tend to have a bit of a dip which is losing me space and I then struggle to get good contact.

Not a lot to work on, just small tweaks here and there. Was swinging good this weekend after a good result in the Open on Saturday, so was the best time to get a lesson. I stayed for an hour after to work on the changes and also to work on some pitches with wedges, which is where I really need to improve.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve been feeling down about my golf for a while. I watched a lot of youtube videos, filmed my swing and was all over the place. I knew my swing was good sometimes but awful most of the time plus too many swing throughts were crippling my game. I was going backwards rather than forwards. It wasn’t from lack of practice.

So I have unsubscribed from all the youtube videos and then booked my first proper lesson earlier in the week. All I can say is WOW!

There’s quite a lot that I was doing wrong – weight on the heels, chicken wing, club going outside the line on the downswing etc. Pro gave me some good drills and things to think about and I have never hit the ball better in a range session. I now have specific areas to focus on and improve and feel like I know how to become a better golfer. My confidence has sky rocketed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve been feeling down about my golf for a while. I watched a lot of youtube videos, filmed my swing and was all over the place. I knew my swing was good sometimes but awful most of the time plus too many swing throughts were crippling my game. I was going backwards rather than forwards. It wasn’t from lack of practice.

So I have unsubscribed from all the youtube videos and then booked my first proper lesson earlier in the week. All I can say is WOW!

There’s quite a lot that I was doing wrong – weight on the heels, chicken wing, club going outside the line on the downswing etc. Pro gave me some good drills and things to think about and I have never hit the ball better in a range session. I now have specific areas to focus on and improve and feel like I know how to become a better golfer. My confidence has sky rocketed.

If it's any consolation, watch the two youtube videos I put up on my channel from the lesson with Paul Foston. I totally understood what he wanted me to be doing but on the day couldn't get near it. Too many thoughts, too many ideas and poor club control. Was enthused by seeing what he wanted me to do and when I did it how good it was, how few moving parts there were, and what a different swing it was. Then hurt my back

I have specific things to work on to start, with a better takeaway, not one outside the line and disconnected, making a short swing with flat wrist all of the time. These are massive for me but I know I can't move forward to the next phase until I get these sorted. Had a very small go at hitting balls at the weekend as the back still bad, but WOW, when it clicks it's like a golfer reborn. I am due to play on Saturday, back permitting and have to say even if it goes horribly on the course, I've not looked forward to a game in ages.

Like you my confidence has gone up and up and I'm totally enthused. The Homer mojo is bubbling away and a glass not just half full but running over. I know I have a very long way to go over the winter but so glad to be hitting a few balls again, and more so to see what I could be capable of after a winter of hard graft and assistance from Paul.

Stick with what you've been shown. Be prepared to go backwards to then go forward again and keep working hard. Good luck

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like you my confidence has gone up and up and I'm totally enthused. The Homer mojo is bubbling away and a glass not just half full but running over. I know I have a very long way to go over the winter but so glad to be hitting a few balls again, and more so to see what I could be capable of after a winter of hard graft and assistance from Paul.

Thanks Homer. This confidence thing is the big positive I got out of a lesson. I had been filming my swing and then watching youtube videos to try and correct things that may/may not have been right. The problem is - i'm not good enough to correct my own flaws! Having someone experienced look at my swing, tell me to do something, me do it and hit the ball 100 times better as a result was awesome. I strongly recommend getting a lesson for anyone who may be struggling.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my first lesson today in a few months, was hitting it really well, just a small tweak to my grip and I was getting an extra 20 yards effortlessly, it’s amazing the difference it makes.
Ive got another one on Tuesday working on pitching and chipping, my biggest weakness without a doubt, I think my scores and my handicap will come down if I can improve this part of my game.
Another point he made was just to relax, he thought I was a bit stiff, that’s part of the battle between my ears though.
Looking forward to my game tomorrow now and my next lesson.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had my first lesson today in a few months, was hitting it really well, just a small tweak to my grip and I was getting an extra 20 yards effortlessly, it’s amazing the difference it makes.
Ive got another one on Tuesday working on pitching and chipping, my biggest weakness without a doubt, I think my scores and my handicap will come down if I can improve this part of my game.
Another point he made was just to relax, he thought I was a bit stiff, that’s part of the battle between my ears though.
Looking forward to my game tomorrow now and my next lesson.

Good luck with the pitching. If you get a chance, try the pitching challenge on the course (https://youtu.be/5FsjsSX9v5k). Great and realistic and has made a big difference to my own short game

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson Monday.. he has moved me to a “hookers grip” as I just can close the face enough

Hopefully it beds in over the winter

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you try to re upload that range session you posted on YouTube. it looked like it had been. recorded in 3d. Double vision.

Working on it. Uploaded new editing software and taking some time to get to grips with. Using the practice session from the other weekend, a cut off point as to where the swing is/was to refer back to as I progress. My pet project for the weekend. THe software is brilliant but not overly user friendly and intuitive

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It will certainly be useful to chart your progress. Think you should utilize head covers and them sticks to make sure you start the swing off right in the takeaway before you tackle the length of swing. I Noticed every swing was being taken away outside. That was the first thing Fostin was telling you off for.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson on Trackman the other day which was fairly decent.

The path figures were fairly consistent, however, the club face was all over the place. I was very static at impact, and needed to turn more. Without altering anything, but the feeling of getting out the bloody way, that face angle improved massively and the flights and delivery were so much more improved. I also found swing speed and ball speed increased by a few mph, in turn increasing carry. We then tried to sort out another 'flaw' I have, which is swinging around myself a bit too much...but that's a work in progress.

Towards the end of the lesson, we switched up to driver, something I consider the most consistent club in the bag. I was hitting it fairly solid, carrying at 235, but spinning at 3500. We used the optimiser feature of Trackman, which takes the launch conditions and informs you that if you change certain characteristics, what the difference could be. Looking at the figures, I was consistenly hitting around 5-6* up on the ball (which was a surprise to me!) but there was too much spin, so we needed to adjust the spin loft. I got the wrench for driver, and knocked it down from its standard 10.5* to the lowest it would go...8.5*...and we continued hitting. No change in ball flight, swing path or anything, and the spin dropped massively to around 2000-2200, on a consistent basis, which in turn increased driver carry to 255, running to 280. I was amazed...but shows how technology can certainly help. I am looking forward to seeing how this translates at the range later, and then on the course over the weekend....fingers crossed it sticks!

Note: Before all the comments fly in...I am aware that the Trackman is set to 70*, no wind etc etc....but still, in dry data conditions, the consistent carry stands!!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd have thought it's more the fact that the through swing is shorter than the back swing (sometimes considerably so). Deceleration is a killer