I had a lesson today and...

sjw

Visit site
Had a lesson today and ended up been another really good one.
Just to get some yardages with my wedges, I'm actually hitting them a bit further than I thought with roll out, so will depend on ground conditions what I use.
Only had a couple of poor one's and the rest were all flushed.
Only problem I have now is I'm at work for 2 weeks and then Portugal for 10 days so won't get out for weeks :(
Oh no, a golfer in Portugal, however will you cope? ;)

Teebs

Visit site
First lesson ever to work on putting.

After seeing my 'action' on video, we went back to basics, neutral stance, closer to the ball to keep a connection with the elbows, slightly modified grip and using a visio mat to promote a slight arc incorporating a marginal forward press to start the stroke.

A million times better and getting a true end-over-end roll of the ball (previous motion put draw spin on the ball) - should help with distance control now that I have better control over the strike.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a lesson for me personally, but I watched this video yesterday and it tallies up with what I’m trying to work on atm. Think it’s probably one of the best lesson type videos I’ve watched.

This has worked really well for me. However, it is necessary to turn the hips exactly as Pete Cowan describes, which I wasn't doing when I first started holding the right hand back through impact. I used this method on Sunday just gone, and my iron strike was as good as I can do, shame chipping and putting was a bit off.

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Had a lesson this afternoon with James Robinson (the former tour pro that features on Rick Shiels' videos occasionally) down at St Annes Old Links where he's now head pro.

Really impressive setup, trackman, decent mat with down the line and front on cameras for every shot - which are then sent to you on the Trackman Golf App.

Wanted to work on my irons as I've struggled for a long time with distance (for someone my size) and a consistent shot shape, particularly with longer clubs.

Within about 5 swings he had identified that I had a really shallow takeaway and everything was very connected ie my right elbow was tucked into my body at all times which led to me having to cast at the top of the swing. He said I basically said I had these big long levers (I'm tall) but was swinging it like a t-rex.

We spent about 10 mins really working on my takeaway and exaggerating the movements - literally pulling the club away at about 4 o'clock (with 12 being down the line) and then getting my arms up instead of across my body.

What a difference - it took me a while to really get the feeling right but the difference to my ball striking and carry was amazing - within 15 shots the numbers had changed as below:

All the below is with my 7iron (mizuno jpx921 forged)

Swingspeed at start: ~78mph
After: ~87mph

Ballspeed at start: ~112mph
After: ~122mph

Carry at start: ~155yds
After: ~175yds 🤯

James came across really well and the visual aids really helped him show you what you were doing and what he wanted to see, but he was also really good at getting across how exagerrated he expected it to feel compared to my old swing.

Got another lesson with him at the start of June and can't wait to put what he's taught me into practice.

If you're in the fylde coast area its well worth booking in with him.

Had a lesson with him yesterday, he was superb! Would thoroughly recommend.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Got 8 minutes into that and gave up. Far too complicated for me. :LOL:

It's something I'm not a million miles away from with my swing already so it made sense to me.

Actually took it out onto the course tonight in a match and I was really compressing the ball and hitting them straight, really wasn't making too much of a turn in the backswing either.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's something I'm not a million miles away from with my swing already so it made sense to me.

Actually took it out onto the course tonight in a match and I was really compressing the ball and hitting them straight, really wasn't making too much of a turn in the backswing either.
That's pretty much what I found too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I couldn't even work out what he meant to do let alone do it. I got lost at the bit where he had his hands crossed over - last person I saw playing golf like that was off about 26! I'm just not a technical golf swing person I guess. Just swing my swing and some days it works better than others.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I had a lesson today with Andrew Ainsworth at his studio in Tring, My handicap has been shooting up and I needed help
Proper eye opener
I knew I was overswinging, with an out to in swing path, with an open club face, all arms, no hips and trying to hit the ball way too hard.
My clubface was 13 degrees open, after the lesson it was 2 degrees closed, I was able to hit some draws too
Gained 50 yards on my worst drives ( huge weak fades)

He didnt try and rebuild my swing, which is what some have tried before and failed......Grip too tight, swing path and not releasing properly were the tweaks

Going out for 9 with Little Chubby Bro early tomorrow, then going to have a range session

Time to get serious (y)

wilson61

Visit site
Not a lesson for me personally, but I watched this video yesterday and it tallies up with what I’m trying to work on atm. Think it’s probably one of the best lesson type videos I’ve watched.

Wow, eye opening! I've been struggling with flipping and inconsistent ball striking. One thing I've noticed recently is that my right hand grip is extremely weak on the club. Really excited to take this lesson to the range.
This video is a great example of how a teacher should behave, not only in golf but in any educational institution. I study at university and sometimes use the https://edubirdie.com/ service to help with assignments in some subjects where I do not understand everything. I think that if my teachers were just as good at presenting the material, I could do it myself. But I'm glad I found this site anyway, it saves me a lot of time, and my grades have improved!
This is the third time I've watched this and it's still the fastest 36 minutes of all time. At 21:50 there certainly is a key, "I want the inside to keep turning to stabilize the outside"; it may not be the only key but it is part of what makes an accomplished striker of the ball. This one thing will comprise a major part of my future practice sessions and will be a prime swing key when playing.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m thinning (bottom groove) my mid-long irons and fairway clubs. 2min verbal lesson from our head pro I had a couple of days ago after moaning about it. “Find the bottom of your swing arc and have the ball just behind that point”. And that was basically it (he knows me and my swing very well so he could be ‘brief’) - he likes to keep things very simple.

And it’s definitely much better.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had another lesson with James Robinson at SAOL last night, last of my 3 x 1hr package I bought back in April.

Had another look at my longer clubs as, although I was hitting my short and mid irons much better and longer I was still struggling with my longer irons and hybrids.

We went through my swing again and he identified it as me not laying the club off enough at transition which was causing me to have to do too much in my downswing and usually getting it wrong resulting in a low hook or big high slice.

After about 30 mins we had them nailed (so had a quick look at my pitch shot technique as I've been A) struggling to hit greens on longer clubs and B) not really having the shorter game to get me any where near up and down.

Having hopefully sorted the longer irons we then had a look at the short game. I'd kind of resorted to a little putting stroke kind of shot but he told me I was better than that and got my flipping my hands through impact more and commiting to it. Result was lovely little poppy shots that landed softly and felt more controlled than i thought they would.

Went the range last night and practiced with the long irons and was hitting them really nicely by the end. The swing weirdly feels much slower but the better contact and loft was resulting in a really nice high ballflight and great distance.

The short game will obviously take work and practice to understand yardages and weights but it'll come hopefully.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Crap one today, all backswing, which I made my feelings about very clear. Then about 25 minutes of indecipherable jibberish about early sets and soft elbows.

In the end i just had to ask what position i was supposed to be in at the top. Got it in two swings, then continued to hit the same shot thats been bothering me all season.

No more

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had a lesson today with Andrew Ainsworth at his studio in Tring, My handicap has been shooting up and I needed help
Proper eye opener
I knew I was overswinging, with an out to in swing path, with an open club face, all arms, no hips and trying to hit the ball way too hard.
My clubface was 13 degrees open, after the lesson it was 2 degrees closed, I was able to hit some draws too
Gained 50 yards on my worst drives ( huge weak fades)

He didnt try and rebuild my swing, which is what some have tried before and failed......Grip too tight, swing path and not releasing properly were the tweaks

Going out for 9 with Little Chubby Bro early tomorrow, then going to have a range session

Time to get serious (y)
How did it go, your swing sounded like mine. Ave straightened mine out a lot better by not being to “ armsy”. In effect keeping them stiffer.