I had a lesson today and...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im booked in at 4.30 today for a lesson with a new pro.

No issue with my old pro - but he teaches at a range that isn't floodlit and I cant get to him while its still light :ROFLMAO:

Really struggling with my irons at the moment, distance loss is huge and my ball striking is at an all time low.

Its frustrating, because towards the end of summer I was in a great place but too much tinkering etc and I've destroyed my swing entirely!

Looking forward to reporting back tomorrow how it goes later, fingers crossed I can get something back before the season really starts!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've discovered I'm "standing up" on my downswing! So I've now got to do a Justin Rose style squat, to stay down and over the ball. Which is going to lead to a lot of fat shots for a while.
But then hopefully I'll win at Pebble Beach next year! 🤣

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Im booked in at 4.30 today for a lesson with a new pro.

No issue with my old pro - but he teaches at a range that isn't floodlit and I cant get to him while its still light :ROFLMAO:

Really struggling with my irons at the moment, distance loss is huge and my ball striking is at an all time low.

Its frustrating, because towards the end of summer I was in a great place but too much tinkering etc and I've destroyed my swing entirely!

Looking forward to reporting back tomorrow how it goes later, fingers crossed I can get something back before the season really starts!
Hope it went well 😀👍🏻

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hope it went well 😀👍🏻

Honestly why didn’t I just book a lesson months ago 😂😂😂

Few swings to warm up etc as I’m talking him through my issues - basically over tinkered trying to fix it myself and ended up in a mess.

Simple change on my grip, a few things to remember regarding placement of my right arm before I start my backswing, a smoother backswing added (slower really) and bang, I’m back 😂

7 iron was going 110 before this evening - back to 150 now 😂 (generalised average anyway)

We also pulled my hybrid and 3 wood to have a go with those, honestly a bit mind blown how well it all went!

Booked back in for 28th to ensure I don’t get back into bad habits while practicing.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had a lesson this afternoon with James Robinson (the former tour pro that features on Rick Shiels' videos occasionally) down at St Annes Old Links where he's now head pro.

Really impressive setup, trackman, decent mat with down the line and front on cameras for every shot - which are then sent to you on the Trackman Golf App.

Wanted to work on my irons as I've struggled for a long time with distance (for someone my size) and a consistent shot shape, particularly with longer clubs.

Within about 5 swings he had identified that I had a really shallow takeaway and everything was very connected ie my right elbow was tucked into my body at all times which led to me having to cast at the top of the swing. He said I basically said I had these big long levers (I'm tall) but was swinging it like a t-rex.

We spent about 10 mins really working on my takeaway and exaggerating the movements - literally pulling the club away at about 4 o'clock (with 12 being down the line) and then getting my arms up instead of across my body.

What a difference - it took me a while to really get the feeling right but the difference to my ball striking and carry was amazing - within 15 shots the numbers had changed as below:

All the below is with my 7iron (mizuno jpx921 forged)

Swingspeed at start: ~78mph
After: ~87mph

Ballspeed at start: ~112mph
After: ~122mph

Carry at start: ~155yds
After: ~175yds 🤯

James came across really well and the visual aids really helped him show you what you were doing and what he wanted to see, but he was also really good at getting across how exagerrated he expected it to feel compared to my old swing.

Got another lesson with him at the start of June and can't wait to put what he's taught me into practice.

If you're in the fylde coast area its well worth booking in with him.

rystaman

Visit site
Had a lesson this afternoon with James Robinson (the former tour pro that features on Rick Shiels' videos occasionally) down at St Annes Old Links where he's now head pro.

Really impressive setup, trackman, decent mat with down the line and front on cameras for every shot - which are then sent to you on the Trackman Golf App.

Wanted to work on my irons as I've struggled for a long time with distance (for someone my size) and a consistent shot shape, particularly with longer clubs.

Within about 5 swings he had identified that I had a really shallow takeaway and everything was very connected ie my right elbow was tucked into my body at all times which led to me having to cast at the top of the swing. He said I basically said I had these big long levers (I'm tall) but was swinging it like a t-rex.

We spent about 10 mins really working on my takeaway and exaggerating the movements - literally pulling the club away at about 4 o'clock (with 12 being down the line) and then getting my arms up instead of across my body.

What a difference - it took me a while to really get the feeling right but the difference to my ball striking and carry was amazing - within 15 shots the numbers had changed as below:

All the below is with my 7iron (mizuno jpx921 forged)

Swingspeed at start: ~78mph
After: ~87mph

Ballspeed at start: ~112mph
After: ~122mph

Carry at start: ~155yds
After: ~175yds 🤯

James came across really well and the visual aids really helped him show you what you were doing and what he wanted to see, but he was also really good at getting across how exagerrated he expected it to feel compared to my old swing.

Got another lesson with him at the start of June and can't wait to put what he's taught me into practice.

If you're in the fylde coast area its well worth booking in with him.
Love to hear this, I'm in the Midlands but might travel up for a lesson!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson last night, struggling again with my irons, wasn’t sure what was going on, ended I was slouching, poor posture and set up.
Told him I was hitting my hybrid’s well, so took one out and hitting it lovely, he told me I’m setting up completely different with my irons and to do the same as the hybrid.
Set up the same with a couple of tweaks and away she went, good height and flight 😂😂
Another lesson on Monday with driver to see if I can squeeze some more out it, dare say I can, but confidence certainly returning.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Driver lesson last night.
I'm normally pretty straight but lack any consistency with distance.
The reason, coming out of the heel, was just killing the distance and my miss is a straight pull / hook.
When I set up, its perfect, but I waggle the club before hitting it which makes me hit out of the heel, although I was consistent with it which was good.
In the end, I just stopped the waggle and hit it when in position and what a difference.
Think I hit 8 of the best drives I've hit, long straight and even got one with a 235 yard carry, thats normally me with a good roll out :ROFLMAO:
Just absolutely delighted with how it went, just need to take it to the course now.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a chipping and pitching lesson a couple of weeks ago. Only previously used my 54 & 58 wedges for bunker and flop shots, but was shown that they should be my go to clubs, with the ball further back in the stance with hands forward.

Is going to take much practice, but can already see the benefits in that I am more confident over the ball and the results are more consistent.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Speaking with my coach yesterday about the tiny realisation I’d had about my shoulders at address and that seems to have made a significant difference to my striking of irons. His response was that that is exactly what he loves to hear - that his pupils get to understand their own golf swing and have the tools he provides his pupils with to work out what’s going on when things don’t go right, and what to do about it.

So before my match this afternoon I’ll hit a dozen or so balls with my 7i on the range, I only need to use one club to check my shoulder alignment. I’m not looking to warm up with every club…though I’ll likely hit half dozen balls with my driver and a few with my hybrid as these are the two most critical clubs for how I aim to play our the first two holes.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Had my first lesson in 2 years today.

Never had a lesson on my driver and wanted to go over that, basically never use or practice with that club as I don’t know where to start

Lesson began with a 7i to see how I swung generally. It then became a 20 min refresher on my irons - wider stance, further away from the ball, more athletic stance…went from hitting my 7i 100-120 to 150

Then came the driver. Genuinely have never hit that club well once ever. A few set up tweaks and a change of stance/shoulder and I was hitting that 220ish.

Unbelievable the difference a lesson makes. We used a track man and My swing path was surprisingly spot on - all about getting those hips turned to close my club face and generally let the club do the rest of the work

Albo

Visit site
Really been struggling with irons recently, played Monday and literally hit every kind of poor iron shot imaginable, pull hooks, slices, tops, fats, thins. I pulled it together on the last few holes 15 onwards, but prior to that I only hit 1 green with a full iron shot.
Went for a lesson on Wednesday, predictably working on iron striking, and the pro came up with a few good new feels, trying to straighten out my club path from being way too in to out to just a little bit in to out, and gaining some club face control, I got so much out of that lesson, the ball is flying straighter and contact so much better and more consistent (though it couldn’t have been worse or less consistent in fairness). Had a good range sessio know yesterday and played last night which went well. Hopefully can ingrain these new swing feelings and play without the myriad of swing thoughts I have at the moment while I’m trying to embed.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been struggling a bit so booked a lesson with the guy I've seen quite a few times now. Really enjoy the process and he gets me back on track quickly.

Worked on more rotation and less arms as I was steepening the shaft at the top and flipping at impact.

wilson61

Visit site
Been struggling a bit so booked a lesson with the guy I've seen quite a few times now. Really enjoy the process and he gets me back on track quickly.

Worked on more rotation and less arms as I was steepening the shaft at the top and flipping at impact.

I really liked the lessons with this teacher, it reminded me of one professor at the university. I even wrote an essay on this topic like https://studydriver.com/someone-who-inspires-me/, by the way, I also took materials from this site. Learning is always important, even after graduation. It's good that everywhere there are good mentors and excellent services to help you study.
It's always great to find someone who inspires you (y)
I want to note that I also was steepening the shaft at the top before, and it looks like you were taught well.

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson today and ended up been another really good one.
Just to get some yardages with my wedges, I'm actually hitting them a bit further than I thought with roll out, so will depend on ground conditions what I use.
Only had a couple of poor one's and the rest were all flushed.
Only problem I have now is I'm at work for 2 weeks and then Portugal for 10 days so won't get out for weeks :(