I fear I've made a terrible mistake

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Recently I had my putter grip replaced, as the old grip was pretty worn, and I decided to opt for one of the WINN fat grips after a few putts on the practice green with a mate's putter who had one fitted. I've played about 12 rounds with the putter and new grip, some of which were on winter greens, but since going back onto the full greens I can't putt!

Most of my missed putts have been pushes, and I'm struggling to get the ball up to the hole. I've fear I've lost some feel in my stroke. I rarely pushed a putt with the old grip, and I'm now wondering if the grip is too big/fat for my little girly hands.

I have a spare standard grip for my putter, which I should probably have put on the putter, but I feel I'm chucking £25 down the drain changing grip so soon. And what if it isn't the grip at all, and something I'm doing wrong, although I don't feel I 've changed anything about the way I putt now compared to how I putted prior to the grip change. I do know though that I'm not putting as well I know I can...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can you find one the same/similar to your putter in a shop with a standard grip and have a few putts with it to see if you are still pushing with it?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Change it. FAT grips are just a phase that bad putters are using to try and become better on the greens. If you are a feel putter then a fat grip will take this away from you.

That's my opinion anyway.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
is the grip a flat fronted one ,if yes ,check it is square to the putter head.
if its not ,that could be the reason for pushing your putts ,it dosent have to be far off to make a difference.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I again dabbled with a fatter grip recently (Winn 1.18) and just don't get on with them. Like you I felt I was pushing it. Back to a Golf Pride Players Wrap grip...on a different putter...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fatter grip is likely to reduce wrist action, so your symptoms are not at odds with what you have done!

Pro is still the best source of advice on how to 'recover'!

A mid-sized+ did the job for me! Just done the same for a spare putter and quit happy with the results.

At the risk of 'culturism'....without spending some money, you ain't going to find out what works best! I've got another (Dave Hicks 33" CS) putter, currently with a skinny grip, that you are welcome to use to experiment with if you want! Or I could simply send you the one I've just changed to midsize - a different DH 33" CS one - to try!

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I changed my putter grip about a year ago and went like for like with no problems.

I agree with a couple of the suggestions above - get a pro to check out your putting to ensure it's not your stroke and try the same make & model with a regular sized grip to see what happens compared to your putter

Good luck with getting it sorted!

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Can you find one the same/similar to your putter in a shop with a standard grip and have a few putts with it to see if you are still pushing with it?

Tried both the AG's near to me, neither had it in stock.

I again dabbled with a fatter grip recently (Winn 1.18) and just don't get on with them. Like you I felt I was pushing it. Back to a Golf Pride Players Wrap grip...on a different putter...

Exactly the grip I have on my putter.

is the grip a flat fronted one ,if yes ,check it is square to the putter head.
if its not ,that could be the reason for pushing your putts ,it dosent have to be far off to make a difference.

Yep, flat front. Checked it is square, and it is. My pro put it on for me. I'll maybe ask him to recheck it though.

I've got another (Dave Hicks 33" CS) putter, currently with a skinny grip, that you are welcome to use to experiment with if you want! Or I could simply send you the one I've just changed to midsize - a different DH 33" CS one - to try!

Would certainly be interested. PM me with costs and I'll give it some thought.

And the winner of the most overstated thread title is..... :)

If it isnt work put a thinner one on!

Season hasn't fully started and I've won something already. :whoo:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had an oversized grip fitted to my putter last year, but the pro warned that the extra weight of the grip could throw the balance out.
I have an Odyssey 2ball. After fitting it felt like the head was wandering all over the place so I changed the weight in the putter to a heavier one (supplied with the putter). It felt much better and was immediately back to the feel before. It then just took a few rounds for my putting to improve to better than before the grip change. I couldn't be happier.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Spend a ten spot and change it. If you use a pro worth his salt he can probably save your fat grip! Not the end of the world.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently I had my putter grip replaced, as the old grip was pretty worn, and I decided to opt for one of the WINN fat grips after a few putts on the practice green with a mate's putter who had one fitted. I've played about 12 rounds with the putter and new grip, some of which were on winter greens, but since going back onto the full greens I can't putt!

Most of my missed putts have been pushes, and I'm struggling to get the ball up to the hole. I've fear I've lost some feel in my stroke. I rarely pushed a putt with the old grip, and I'm now wondering if the grip is too big/fat for my little girly hands.

I have a spare standard grip for my putter, which I should probably have put on the putter, but I feel I'm chucking £25 down the drain changing grip so soon. And what if it isn't the grip at all, and something I'm doing wrong, although I don't feel I 've changed anything about the way I putt now compared to how I putted prior to the grip change. I do know though that I'm not putting as well I know I can...

This happened to me same thing, it lasted for one round. I went back to a mid size grip problem solved.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A "terrible" mistake is buying a £600.00 set of irons and finding out the shafts are too firm for you....:whistle::whistle::whistle:
You've made a mistake which is very easy (and fairly cheap) to put right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Move your left hand one or two millimetres to the right (clockwise), that will help you keep the putter face square through the stroke

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
A "terrible" mistake is buying a £600.00 set of irons and finding out the shafts are too firm for you....:whistle::whistle::whistle:
You've made a mistake which is very easy (and fairly cheap) to put right.

I'm a tight-arse, anything that costs me money and doesn't work is a terrible mistake in my eyes. :ears: