How's Your Course Holding Up?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place shut the back nine on October 5th and is still shut. It seems we only have half a course to play on for 50% of the year.
How's you place doing? Open and good/a bit damp/like a swamp?

I'm keeping a check on our place and local courses to ours this year.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had anniversary week @Ullesthorpe Leicestershire and its in perfect condition for october - fast greens and loads of grass 👍

Sadly my PlayMoreGolf points ran dry and I don't do winter golf #IceGolf

My last course was shut more through Jan,Feb than open really disappointing

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My place shut the back nine on October 5th and is still shut. It seems we only have half a course to play on for 50% of the year.

Half the course shut whilst the season isn't finished? I'd be moving clubs personally.

My club is holding up fine, greens are good but getting wet in places.

D

Deleted member 21258

Havent really had any rain the last week and course has dried a lot, but still can get plugged lies in some areas of the rough when missing some of the fairways(had two in the comp yesterday for instance). The 1st cut rough has really thicken up due to warm and rain.

Think this week is meant to be fairly dry, so should dry even more.

Think prior to that the last 6-8 weeks have been pretty much rain, rain and rain. That said prior to that it was so crazy dry in this area for a probably 3 maybe 4 months.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant...apart from crow damage to a couple of the fairways to get some Chafer Grubbs or something. Was never an issue until government or some scientific foll decided we could no longer use chemicals to kill them off

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Greens got very soft a week or two back but have dried nicely. Had a few wet spots but nothing really .
Reasonably dry down here for a while now and looks to be staying so for a while yet

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course is not great to be honest.

Our greens had a very bad layer of thatch which was removed at the end of August and they just haven't recovered as we had a very wet September so they are really bumpy. They have now been hollow tined again and about 100 tonnes of sand put on them, on Saturday you would have thought the greens were bunkers!

Fairways are holding up pretty well but it is soft in places with absolutely no roll. A few days of dry weather recently is helping but winter mats will be out as soon as the clocks change.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our greens are very good having recovered well after the maintenance work done on them in early September although the recent rain has made the course wet in parts

D

Deleted member 15344

Course looking great at the moment - greens recovered from September maintenance, more new drainage being installed on some greens , air machine being used on greens and lots of growth on fairways and tees.

If a course has 9 holes closed due to being too wet then it must be on a clay with shocking or no drainage

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I'd be off like a shot if I could only play half a course for 50% of the year

My course is holding up well. Bit damp in a few places but the greens have had maintenance recently and bounced back and are in fantastic condition, to the point where people like the Jamega tour approached us to hold a second event this year as they were so impressed first time. Reasonably quick ant around 10 and roll like a dream. Leaves are beginning to be a pain in a few places but that aside, very happy with it

D

Deleted member 17920

If a course has 9 holes closed due to being too wet then it must be on a clay with shocking or no drainage
Think some parts of the country have been very unlucky with the weather Phil.

We have had it very lucky here as the both courses are very good, the Hotchkin greens have had work done and its taken a couple of weeks longer to get them back due to the colder than average temperature.

Played Alwoodley last week and it was very wet, standing water and the rough was very wet and hard work in some parts of the course, Manchester yesterday and it was again quite wet, the tee boxes were very wet and they did well to make the course playable.

Its going to be a long winter for some courses this year.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Our course drains pretty well, usually. There are only 2 spots on the fairways which are notoriously wet, and now, with the relatively large amount of rain during the last week some of the other fairways do feel a bit muddy underfoot, but all in all it remains very playable. Preferred lies since the beginning of this month. The greens are excellent (and normally remain in play during winter as long as there is no frost). Tees will move to mats soon, I suppose. Bunkers tend to collect some water. Leaves are starting to be a nuissance, making it hard to find the ball (even on the fairway, sometimes), since we do have a lot of large trees.

DCB

Visit site
Played on Sunday and the course was quite soft in places. There has been some very wet weather recently, but, I was surprised just how much the course had changed in the past few weeks. Greens were still putting well, but further greens work scheduled this week. Leaves starting to fall now as well, so, some leaf strewn greens to deal with. Autumn and winter aren't the best times for a parkland course.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is open although we have had lots of rain, some places are more than just damp. Greens are still very good though, was talking to our head green keeper who was very frustrated by the amount of rain we have had. He thinks this summer has been the wettest he can remember.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course is looking great and greens the best of the year so far imo. Kind of a shame that the long awaited bunker project means some holes closed and/or temp tees and greens but the work they are doing looks amazing. Huge project which has been 2 years in the planning and can't wait for it all to be in play next year - some holes will be very different and require a very different strategy.

Oh, they're also dredging one of the ponds and that does look a right mess!

D

Deleted Member 1156

My place is doing very well, greens are lovely and for the medal on Saturday they were double cut and ironed. Good enough for me to get 3 birdies ;)