How's Your Course Holding Up?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best condition it has been all year when I played last week

Greens were lovely and true. Not a spot of mud on the whole course.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One (low lying) fairway is a bit damp in places, other than that its a typical free draining links course. That said, the fairways haven't really been running much all summer.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Warrington is in fine condition.
Being on a hilly site some bunkers are GUR because have filled with water.
Crazyface where are you playing in Cheshire?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Northcliffe last week and it was wet in a few places and did have a few plugged from tee shots but overall it was in fantastic condition, especially the greens - very good indeed. I was amazed after all the rain during September just how good it was.

D

Deleted member 18588

Our course is built on good old-fashioned Leicestershire blue clay but for the life of me I cannot understand why any course should be closing holes (other than for course work) at this time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No one else partly shut.....anywhere?????

Our course only closes a few days each year but we are in the West Country and it is mainly a hillside/top golf course.

We have a permanent alternate 16th green and 17th tee for the two holes that can get a bit waterlogged as they at the lowest point of the course adjacent to the river.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our course has been exceptionally good, until last week when we had a few days of really heavy rain.
Then we had 7 temp greens on the Thursday and 4 temps on the Friday, which voided our Friday medal.
All greens were back on for the Saturday comp, and still on, though preferred lies are now being played.
In really bad weather, we do close parts of the course if they're badly affected.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brilliant...apart from crow damage to a couple of the fairways to get some Chafer Grubbs or something. Was never an issue until government or some scientific foll decided we could no longer use chemicals to kill them off

+1 to above for our course, Sunday was the first day of preferred lies mainly due to worm casts

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My course Grange Park is excellent apart from 13 th that's wet.
Greens flooded at weekend due to very heavy rain but fine today.
Greens slit and cored but putt ok
Course has been fantastic this year
Very good winter course dry as a bone today except for 13th.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our course is playing very nicely. They brought in preferred lies on October 1st a month ahead of normal which seems eminently sensible.

The course drains pretty well throughout I've never known a hole closed unless there is maintenance work going on.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Warrington is in fine condition.
Being on a hilly site some bunkers are GUR because have filled with water.
Crazyface where are you playing in Cheshire?[/QUOTE

Although I'm in Cheshire I play in Leeks Staffs. It's only 12 miles and 20 mins away. Why?? When I joined 8 years ago there wasn't a place to touch it member wise and certainly green wise, we had the "best greens in Staffs". If it rained the course drained very quickly. The best drainage of late was when the river burst it's banks about July last year and cleaned the drains out (we all think) the course drained great for about 2 weeks, then the puddles came back and haven't really gone away. So not anymore I'm afraid. I am looking at Macclesfield, who have improved their course immensely over the last two years, and Styal, who have a cheap membership that includes monitoring your H/C for you and you pay a reduced fee for their comps.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course Grange Park is excellent apart from 13 th that's wet.
Greens flooded at weekend due to very heavy rain but fine today.
Greens slit and cored but putt ok
Course has been fantastic this year
Very good winter course dry as a bone today except for 13th.

You see. Greens flooded, but a few days later ok and "course as dry as a bone". We're being conned.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course sent out an email saying that we had to tee up the ball on all fairways, not just pick and place but tee it up, qualifiers ended at the beginning of September. The greens are struggling to recover from the maintenance week and if we get more rain in the coming weeks, we'll be on winter greens as well, shortly after the course will go down to 16 possibly 14 holes.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play in Leeks Staffs. It's only 12 miles and 20 mins away. Why?? When I joined 8 years ago there wasn't a place to touch it member wise and certainly green wise, we had the "best greens in Staffs"
Honestly, better greens than Little Aston, Beau, or South Staffs?
Never playedit or heard much about it, seems to fly under the radar (as do most of the north Staffs clubs)

Styal, who have a cheap membership that includes monitoring your H/C for you and you pay a reduced fee for their comps.

I'm really not a fan of the course at Styal (though the facilities are quite good). On my 2 visits it was terribly wet/muddy - was quite shocked as the weather hadn't been that bad.
I was told they have easily the largest senior section around as the course is almost dead flat (make of that what you will, good or bad)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You see. Greens flooded, but a few days later ok and "course as dry as a bone". We're being conned.
Our course is on sandstone it runs downhill quite a lot to the 13th this is wet but playable.
We had a torential downpour sat pm but course was still open Sunday .
Perfect today

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
This is exactly why i joined my current club. Both courses play superbly 12 months a year. Don't even need preferred lies really.