How would you split these players into two teams for a weekend of Match Play?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Scenario: 8 guys, most of whom are irregular players. Mix of handicaps. A weekend of golf, total of four rounds. Two teams needed to play against each other in a match play competition. Format: 1st round fourballs, 2nd round fourballs, 3rd round foursomes, 4th round singles. A smaller version of the Ryder Cup if you like.

Handicaps: Two players are high 20s. Two players are low 20s. Four players are between 12 and 14.

In terms of ensuring it's a reasonably fair and well fought competition, how do you draw the teams?

Do you simply draw out of a hat and split however it comes? Or do you attempt to even out the teams, by "seeding" the draw i.e. ensuring the two high 20s are separated, the two low 20s are separated and then each team gets two of the 12-14s?

Are you of the opinion that it doesn't matter who plays where and the draw doesn't matter, or do you think it's best to ensure each team has two of the better players in order to "steady the ship" during times when it's needed?

Or do you do something else?

(Bear in mind most players are irregular players and probably don't play to a true handicap. The two higher handicappers can quite easily go missing for several holes at a time!)

Appreciate thoughts.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutley needs to be split particularly for the Foursomes, where they'll be playing half difference of notional handicaps and you really don't want two high guys together. Why not have a Captain who has to pick his teams before each event? Give the best two players captaincy, a high 20, a low 20 and one of the other 12-14s. They can decide on how things go as the games progress.

Sounds like great fun I'd love a weekend like that! Enjoy

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have any experience in this, but I would match them up by handicap personally.

Have one pot with the two high guys, one pot with the two 20-ish guys and one pot with the other four. Then draw half the names out of the pots and there's your team.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Totally random for me. Life is never as predicted, especially where golf is concerned. Nothing worse than a fudged draw in my view, and if it doesn't lead to the close battle you want, you look like an idiot.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Once you are all assembled in the clubhouse with your pre round drinks and roll, have someone draw the names/teams from a hat,job done everyone can enjoy the weekend regardless, enjoy sounds like a great weekend

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally random for me. Life is never as predicted, especially where golf is concerned. Nothing worse than a fudged draw in my view, and if it doesn't lead to the close battle you want, you look like an idiot.

I would say that was a fair comment if their handicaps were real, but many casual golfers have no idea what their actual handicap is and would struggle to play to what they think they are. If any of the above lower numbers are actual handicaps then putting them all together in one team could be a walk over and not a lot of fun for the casual players.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Pot 1 - 2 x High 20's
Pot 2 - 2 x Low 20's
Pot 3 - 4 x 12-14 handicappers

Draw each of the pots and you should get 2 fairly balanced teams.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I don't have any experience in this, but I would match them up by handicap personally.

Have one pot with the two high guys, one pot with the two 20-ish guys and one pot with the other four. Then draw half the names out of the pots and there's your team.

Would attempt to balance the teams as above. All boils down to the golf on the day, but a balanced pair of teams would likely sit fairer with most over a team of low handicaps playing a team of high handicaps.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pot 1 - 2 x High 20's
Pot 2 - 2 x Low 20's

Exactly the way I would do it.

I would also scrap the foursomes, play singles in 4 balls twice and make sure no one plays the same opponent in singles twice. If you have to retain the foursomes then the high and low 20s pair up and play against each other - it won't be fun.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I would also scrap the foursomes, you could always change it to a greensomes?

You should also get everyone to download VPAR app as you can set up a tournament & live track all the scores so you will all know exactly how your team is standing, just like the Ryder Cup.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all.

Pot 1 - 2 x High 20's
Pot 2 - 2 x Low 20's

This is exactly my preference and the way I thought it should be done.

I see there's not much love for the Foursomes! :D Actually, I think we've always enjoyed this format in the past - it can lead to some hilarity and good banter! Part of the reason we do it is because it's the afternoon round on the only day we play two rounds - potentially less effort, we're getting old now! But yes, Greensomes is a good shout. We've done that in the past but have stipulated that over the 18 holes, a minimum of 8 tee shots from each partner must have been used (i.e. it can be broken down into 9 and 9, 10 and 8, but that's all.)

We've also thrown in individual competitions of closest the pin and longest drive. Are there any other good, simple ones we can throw in like this?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
For individual comps, i like straightest drive as it gives the short hitters an opportunity too. Also nearest the pin in 2 on a short par 4, if there's one suitable on the course(s) you're playing?

I'd say the pots as mentioned above is the easiest way to do it. May not be perfect, but hopefully it'll get you close to an actual competition!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally random for me.

Let the handicaps do the job.

Obviously the high handicappers have to be guys who can at least get round the course and make a few net pars and bogeys - but even then if you pair a semi-decent player with a high handicapper and they are getting a few shots, then it should give them a chance to get in the mix.

Manufacturing the teams doesn't definitely produce a close or a tight event.

Someone could be a 12 handicapper, but only played 3 medals last year and barely hit a ball since.
Versus a 26 handicapper who can hit a 200 yard drive and plays regularly, but struggles with a card in his hand.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I would also scrap the foursomes, you could always change it to a greensomes?

You should also get everyone to download VPAR app as you can set up a tournament & live track all the scores so you will all know exactly how your team is standing, just like the Ryder Cup.
We downloaded this for our away weekend last year, it was really good.

I would prefer a random draw, but it if could have a big impact on people's enjoyment, then go with the suggestion of grouping them.