How would you have reacted? 2

D

Deleted member 1147

where does everyone get "have the right" from?

It may or may not be written down, but most people who play golf, you would hope, would have enough common sense and understanding of the situation (especially if it was explained to them) to allow them to play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
where does everyone get "have the right" from?

really? - you ask this question? In most circumstances you may not formally have 'the right' - although right may be on your side - but many if not most clubs will state (usually in members handbook) that, in context of competitions, players continuing a competitive club round have right of way over those starting.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Spot on Phil

It's spot on only if the Comp committee made it so

For my own understanding I went looking for the rule for it:

33-6. Decision of Ties
The Committee must announce the manner, day and time for the decision of a halved match or of a tie, whether played on level terms or under handicap.

My bold. So if the committee didn't announce this to the players & starter you get threads like this

It would be nice to think that the committee would include priority on the tee for this scenario when they announce when ties should take place!

Edit: looking at post above... so sudden death priority information for that comp should be in the OP's handbook or posted separately, so the only reply to the thread in relation to the starter or priority would be 'what does it say in your handbook'

Last edited:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
It may or may not be written down, but most people who play golf, you would hope, would have enough common sense and understanding of the situation (especially if it was explained to them) to allow them to play.

That is quite correct and clearly the starter knew the situation and acted accordingly. Nobody ever "has the right" to barge their way through anybody on the course without first asking permission or seeking approval from the parties concerned.
"Have the right" as many have bandied about seems to suggest that everyone must get out of the way and the match doesn't have to ask for, or seek approval from anyone. Which is clearly not the case at any time - match or not.
It seems the OP was pretty pushed for time anyway and couldn't be bothered to wait (now there's a thought?) and conceded rather than extend the match to a conclusion. That, I'm afraid is nobody else's fault but their own - they cannot assume a "right" to play on, even if at times this is the normal course of action 9 times out of 10.
Maybe next time plan your match so if does go to extra holes, you actually have enough time (or maybe the course is clearer) to get a result. Blaming the starter for your predicament is futility in itself.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I'd have been a bit annoyed at my mate and would talk to him about it next time I saw him.

As for leaving the club; I'd leave if there was a better course for me to be a member of.
Better could be defined in many ways though.
Would I leave purely because of what happened to you? I don't think I would.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, it seems there a re a number of points that need clearing up:

1 - I don't believe it was suggested that anyone should be asked to step back off the tee to let us conclude our match.

2 - All other groups waiting were perfectly accepting of us being allowed to go through.

3 - We have circa 5 weeks to play the match, the juniors can play evenings or weekends, my PP is on nights then annual leave for 3 weeks, he arrives back as I leave for my hols. So as per the OP, last weekend was the only available date.

4 - Don't know where the idea that time was tight between matches comes from? I had a coffee in the clubhouse, drove to Lincoln, went to MacDonalds, a quick look round Direct Golf, then on to the course arriving an hour before anyone else!

5 - While I did, and still do, think the starter was unreasonable (no, I'm not sure what, if anything, is stated in the club handbook to cover this situation) given that all the greenfee groups appeared not to have a problem, my annoyance was with my PP, I would have waited until after all the greenfee groups had gone out if necessary to complete the match.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That is quite correct and clearly the starter knew the situation and acted accordingly. Nobody ever "has the right" to barge their way through anybody on the course without first asking permission or seeking approval from the parties concerned.
"Have the right" as many have bandied about seems to suggest that everyone must get out of the way and the match doesn't have to ask for, or seek approval from anyone. Which is clearly not the case at any time - match or not.
It seems the OP was pretty pushed for time anyway and couldn't be bothered to wait (now there's a thought?) and conceded rather than extend the match to a conclusion. That, I'm afraid is nobody else's fault but their own - they cannot assume a "right" to play on, even if at times this is the normal course of action 9 times out of 10.
Maybe next time plan your match so if does go to extra holes, you actually have enough time (or maybe the course is clearer) to get a result. Blaming the starter for your predicament is futility in itself.

If I was playing in a club matchplay and finished all square then the very most I would expect is to let the first group queuing go ahead then dovetail in. No one at our place that I know would agree what you have written and, as a club, most people treat others as they would want to be treated.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone on this thread that disagrees is simply wrong. You are entitled to your opinions of course but in this case your views are worthless and you need to develop your understanding of some of the more prosaic, unwritten intricacies of golf.

Have you got this text on a hot-key?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd have been a bit annoyed at my mate and would talk to him about it next time I saw him.

As for leaving the club; I'd leave if there was a better course for me to be a member of.
Better could be defined in many ways though.
Would I leave purely because of what happened to you? I don't think I would.

^^^^^^

this for me in answer to the OP. and if no joy talking to my mate I'd be looking for a new partner.

with regard to playing extra holes there is no given "right" but I'd personally be amazed if anyone who was waiting on the first tee objected to let a foresome matchplay match continue the match ahead of them on the 1st. Reading through the thread seems ive been lucky in my choice of clubs over the years!

D

Deleted member 1147

He did ask permission, it was the starter who refused it.

He wasn't rushed for time, it was his PP who quit.

How on earth do you plan a 4ball match, which is already difficult enough to get 4 people available at the same time, and make sure that when you've finished the course is definately clear for you to go back out on the first? Book the time 4hrs after you started your first round?

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, it seems there a re a number of points that need clearing up:

1 - I don't believe it was suggested that anyone should be asked to step back off the tee to let us conclude our match.

2 - All other groups waiting were perfectly accepting of us being allowed to go through.

3 - We have circa 5 weeks to play the match, the juniors can play evenings or weekends, my PP is on nights then annual leave for 3 weeks, he arrives back as I leave for my hols. So as per the OP, last weekend was the only available date.

4 - Don't know where the idea that time was tight between matches comes from? I had a coffee in the clubhouse, drove to Lincoln, went to MacDonalds, a quick look round Direct Golf, then on to the course arriving an hour before anyone else!

5 - While I did, and still do, think the starter was unreasonable (no, I'm not sure what, if anything, is stated in the club handbook to cover this situation) given that all the greenfee groups appeared not to have a problem, my annoyance was with my PP, I would have waited until after all the greenfee groups had gone out if necessary to complete the match.

So in summary, the starter go it right then? Especially when you consider their aim is to "start" groups and not "finish" them. Quit making the starter the bad guy. If you weren't really that rushed as you indicated, your beef needs to be with your PP and nobody else really.

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in the 2nd round of the club Foursomes yesterday, the 2nd round matches have to be played by mid August and what with holidays, work commitments (my PP works shifts) this weekend was the only dates we could sort out. We were drawn against a couple of the fast improving juniors, 2 nice lads and they will both be decent golfers in a couple of years.

Our club has a Junior Open running today and of course the lads were playing in that, so we had to play Saturday. I had a B Team match in the afternoon, away with a 45 minute drive and 13:00 tee time, so we booked a 7:40 tee for the Foursomes match. It meant a long day for me, up at 6:00 and not home until after 20:00, I live another 30 mins away from my club.

We had a good match with the lads and they managed to win the last 2 holes with a par, getting a stroke on 17 and a par on the last after my PP put us in a greenside bunker and I only got it out to about 10 foot, so we made bogey to end up all square.

We walked over to the 1st tee and there was quite a queue, one group on the tee, 3 greenfee groups waiting and then a society gathering. I asked the starter if we could 'push in', he said no, because the greenfee groups had
booked their tee times, but he would see if he could squeeze us in before the society. My PP, said "I'm not hanging around, we'll concede, come on lads I'll give you a lift home".

I was pretty hacked off to say the least! Not the first time there have been 'attitude' issues with the guy, we play together regularly and he has a 'flakey' temperament to say the least.

It has now got me considering switching clubs, I have a 25 mile drive including a toll bridge crossing just to get to my current club and yet my office overlooks probably the most picturesque course in the area, with a nice outdoor practice area etc.

On the positive side, I was still pretty miffed on the first tee in the afternoon and drove the green and sunk the 8 footer for eagle! :D Had a good match with a couple of guys that were really good company and won 3 & 2.

as you seem fairly local, where do you play?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So in summary, the starter go it right then? Especially when you consider their aim is to "start" groups and not "finish" them. Quit making the starter the bad guy.

Sorry, but in summary the starter did get it wrong according to most of us who have posted