How would you have reacted? 2

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If its a members club, you should get priority, no question.

We have full time starters and even if there were 50 guys waiting on the tee we would be let though to play extra holes.

as for your partner, i wouldn't be happy about that either.

I think that's the right thing to do although I'd stop short of expecting a group to be pulled off the tee box for me (might become complicated if its comp groups waiting to go out at set times which is why the process seems to be down to common sense)

G

guest100718

if your going to play a matchplay game you have to factor in that it may go to extra holes and allow enough time.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some of the replies on this thread are borderline embarrassing.

Here is the correct answer for those that haven't played golf very long or haven't quite understood the spirit of the game......

The playing partner is someone to be avoided by the sounds of things.

The starter is totally in the wrong and should have given the match immediate priority.

Priority on the tee for matches going to extra holes is part of the fabric of the game. It is common sense, it is basic courtesy and it is the right thing to do. Anyone on this thread that disagrees is simply wrong. You are entitled to your opinions of course but in this case your views are worthless and you need to develop your understanding of some of the more prosaic, unwritten intricacies of golf.

100% correct

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
100% correct

...and I will add my 100%

And in this situation I'd go into the pro shop and ask the pro to overrule the starter. The pro can explain the situation to the groups who have booked tee time.

I wonder what any group of visitors moaning about this would say if they were told they HAD to play the front 9 in max 2.75 hrs. And if they took longer than that they'd get hoofed off the course. Quite...

Last edited:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Strange - I've never been to club where the pro had any ability to overrule any situation on the course. If you need to go crying to the pro in the shop to sort out a situation that can be addressed in 10 seconds by all parties involved on the tee, it's certainly not a club worth visiting either.
The biggest problem with any club is those playing in competitions are too far up their own arse to know courtesy on the course also extends to themselves.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it? Why so many opinions that the match had the right of way through groups waiting on the tee?

Because you've made a broad sweeping statement covering all players in competitions being up their own arses which is clearly not true and that competitive play is the generally the bedrock of most golf clubs. Most private clubs derive much income from competitive golf and its also the way that players maintain the handicap system. Most regular competitive players know and observe the rules and etiquette of golf better than casual players as they will quickly be pulled up if they don't

The reason that the match should be called through were summed up quite eloquently by Snelly in post 38 and largely comes down to common sense

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
The idea that a fourball (who had trouble finding just one date that suited all of them) would play 18 holes to a tie, then arrange another date to play possibly just one extra hole to settle the match, rather than finishing it off the same day is daft.

OP playing partner was out of line conceding.
But why on earth did OP arrange to play 2 matches the same day? Did the possibility of slow play /extra holes /heavy traffic not occur to him?

And I think starter should have let them through. The ones waiting would have finished their 18 no later.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Strange - I've never been to club where the pro had any ability to overrule any situation on the course. If you need to go crying to the pro in the shop to sort out a situation that can be addressed in 10 seconds by all parties involved on the tee, it's certainly not a club worth visiting either.
The biggest problem with any club is those playing in competitions are too far up their own arse to know courtesy on the course also extends to themselves.

At my club the Pro is the Golf Manager. Besides - he is respected by all members and if the pro explained the situation to the starter and then to the group there would be zero issue. Any issue the group had would be dealt with by the Pro.

I'm not sure that folk here are seriously arguing against the courtesy of giving a formal club match precedence on the tee in this situation. Those that argue against it are simply wrong and that folk might think otherwise simply beggars belief and simply highlights a big hole in their understanding of the courtesies of golf.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

You keep to your Munis then, and let real golfers play the game and observe the correct etiquette.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd agree that it would seem sensible for the match to play through and finish.

But I also don't find the playing partners actions that out of line. Yes they should have consulted, but at the end of the day they probably thought that the length of wait wasn't worth it, that playing partner would need to head off, and that two juniors had played well in a tight match and would be better to go through. Or perhaps he just appreciated him and his playing partner were struggling for dates etc. Not exactly the biggest crime ever although frustrating.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At my club the Pro is the Golf Manager. Besides - he is respected by all members and if the pro explained the situation to the starter and then to the group there would be zero issue. Any issue the group had would be dealt with by the Pro.

I'm not sure that folk here are seriously arguing against the courtesy of giving a formal club match precedence on the tee in this situation. Those that argue against it are simply wrong and that folk might think otherwise simply beggars belief and simply highlights a big hole in their understanding of the courtesies of golf.

I guess I am one of those because none backing priority to the match are conceding any etiquette to other players

They should get some priority but they should never have that priority extended to removing a group from the tee!

If that point can be conceded as etiquette from the match players then its about establishing how much priority should a play off have

Perhaps it would be easier if the etiquette had been established with some thought in the first place i.e the play-off should receive priority sufficient for the match to continue within XX minutes

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess I am one of those because none backing priority to the match are conceding any etiquette to other players

They should get some priority but they should never have that priority extended to removing a group from the tee!

If that point can be conceded as etiquette from the match players then its about establishing how much priority should a play off have

Perhaps it would be easier if the etiquette had been established with some thought in the first place i.e the play-off should receive priority sufficient for the match to continue within XX minutes

The match cannot demand priority on the tee unless there is a club rule that states matched have priority. But it is incumbent upon the others to understand the etiquette and simply bloody-minded of them to refuse to concede the tree when a match is going to extra holes.

So the groups play off as booked and the match gets priority over others waiting. At what point does the match get asked to play through out of courtesy? Because as they are playing a comp they should be called through - and that holds everyone up.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Here is the correct answer for those that haven't played golf very long or haven't quite understood the spirit of the game......

The starter is totally in the wrong and should have given the match immediate priority.

Priority on the tee for matches going to extra holes is part of the fabric of the game. It is common sense, it is basic courtesy and it is the right thing to do. Anyone on this thread that disagrees is simply wrong. You are entitled to your opinions of course but in this case your views are worthless and you need to develop your understanding of some of the more prosaic, unwritten intricacies of golf.

Hallelajuh [ or how ever you spell that ]

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You are also entitled to your opinion but in this situation the op and his playing partner are at fault for arranging 2 games in one day.

Then expect to push infront of paying guests that have a pre booked tee time.

D

Deleted member 1147

If the starter had just said to those on the tee "sorry chaps but these guys are playing a foresomes match and it's gone to extra holes, it's sudden death so shouldn't take too long, would you mind if they play through?"
I believe most golfers would be absolutely fine about it.
Even if it meant the 4 ball on the 1st tee played off, waited for the Forseomes pair to drive, and they walked down the fairway together.
Assuming the other pair from the foresomes started walking down the fairway a little they could play the 2nd shots before the group on the tee even got to their balls!

In my opinion this shows that the players who rush around as quickly as possible, and can't wait for a few minutes, are going to spoil the game for the rest of us.

I agree with Snelly and commend the idea to the house!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the starter had just said to those on the tee "sorry chaps but these guys are playing a foresomes match and it's gone to extra holes, it's sudden death so shouldn't take too long, would you mind if they play through?"
I believe most golfers would be absolutely fine about it.
Even if it meant the 4 ball on the 1st tee played off, waited for the Forseomes pair to drive, and they walked down the fairway together.
Assuming the other pair from the foresomes started walking down the fairway a little they could play the 2nd shots before the group on the tee even got to their balls!

In my opinion this shows that the players who rush around as quickly as possible, and can't wait for a few minutes, are going to spoil the game for the rest of us.

I agree with Snelly and commend the idea to the house!

I'll also go with that.

Region3 and I played a pairs matchplay at Sherwood Forest and we were all square after 18. There were several groups waiting to tee off on the first but no-one objected to us going straight through when the situation was explained.

We did win at the 3rd extra hole!.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
common sense, courtesy, etiquette and basic good manners are all it takes to ensure situations like the OP never get to a heated forum with ridiculous answers.