How would you have reacted? 2

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Actually it would have been four if you include the group already standing on the tee box, but as previously mentioned no one expected that group to let us through.

I have just spoken to the Competitions Secretary, the rules of competition state that "if after 18 holes the match is tied, the match should proceed playing from the 1st tee under sudden death until there is a winner".

Rather unhelpfully (for this discussion) nothing is stated regarding having priority.

Thanks for coming back with that. You're right though doesn't help us much (poor show from them) ;)

So does it mean the starter (in his role as starter) has authority over placing the group either into/before/after those waiting, it would seem so. And we've no idea of his logic or reasoning (or lack of) in this case

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for coming back with that. You're right though doesn't help us much (poor show from them) ;)

So does it mean the starter (in his role as starter) has authority over placing the group either into/before/after those waiting, it would seem so. And we've no idea of his logic or reasoning (or lack of) in this case

Precisely what most of have been saying Slab.

I have read and re read rule 33-6 and there is no need for a committee to go into detail about priority on the tee etc in the event of a tie, they simply have to announce the manner, day and time. I simply don't think that many clubs would have anything in their knockout matchplay rules other than the match should be played to a conclusion as all eventualities (light, storm etc) are covered by other rules.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Precisely what most of have been saying Slab.

I have read and re read rule 33-6 and there is no need for a committee to go into detail about priority on the tee etc in the event of a tie, they simply have to announce the manner, day and time. I simply don't think that many clubs would have anything in their knockout matchplay rules other than the match should be played to a conclusion as all eventualities (light, storm etc) are covered by other rules.

No Chris its not what people have been saying (otherwise I'd have agreed with them :D )

I only got involved in this thread because some claimed a 'right' to an 'immediate' start on the 1st and it just doesn't exist

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Here's a curve ball for you....

I've just moved to a 9 hole course with 18 very different tees, I've never had an issue before, even with a full course but the other week I went out in the medal in the 1st tee time of 07.45hrs. Now being a 9 holer we have a gap at 10am to take into consideration that everyone will be coming around the loop again which works fine, or it used to!

I flew round with my 2 playing partners in around 90 minutes so we were at the 10th whilst the tail enders before the 10am gap starts were still teeing off! The Pro happened to be around near our back tee and I asked if he was going to signal to the 1st tee to let us through, he said no, we have to wait!

I attempted to put my case that I was 'in play' and I should not be 'unduly delayed' but he disagreed and stated that they had booked tee times and everything was on time and as such it was not their fault we had gone round the front 9 so quickly and as a consequence we'd have to wait, irrelevant of how many groups still had to tee off!

I disagreed with him but had to wait obviously but I will never tee off that early again.

I know the Pro's are not ideal in asking about rules, even club local rules but I can't find anything to support my argument other than the fact I should not be 'unduly delayed'.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've just moved to a 9 hole course with 18 very different tees, I've never had an issue before, even with a full course but the other week I went out in the medal in the 1st tee time of 07.45hrs. Now being a 9 holer we have a gap at 10am to take into consideration that everyone will be coming around the loop again which works fine, or it used to!

I flew round with my 2 playing partners in around 90 minutes so we were at the 10th whilst the tail enders before the 10am gap starts were still teeing off! The Pro happened to be around near our back tee and I asked if he was going to signal to the 1st tee to let us through, he said no, we have to wait!

I attempted to put my case that I was 'in play' and I should not be 'unduly delayed' but he disagreed and stated that they had booked tee times and everything was on time and as such it was not their fault we had gone round the front 9 so quickly and as a consequence we'd have to wait, irrelevant of how many groups still had to tee off!

I disagreed with him but had to wait obviously but I will never tee off that early again.

I know the Pro's are not ideal in asking about rules, even club local rules but I can't find anything to support my argument other than the fact I should not be 'unduly delayed'.

The counter argument for your pro is:

What would happen if we were having a bad round and didn't manage to reach the 10th within the 2:15 allowed? Would we have to go home as we'd missed the 10.00 tee time which had been allocated to us?

As has been said many times on this thread, there needs to be an element of common sense in these situations. Allowing you to filter in would only make a few minutes difference to the groups waiting to tee off and things would soon start to flow again. After all, there would still be the unused 10:00 tee time to help things along.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The counter argument for your pro is:

What would happen if we were having a bad round and didn't manage to reach the 10th within the 2:15 allowed? Would we have to go home as we'd missed the 10.00 tee time which had been allocated to us?

As has been said many times on this thread, there needs to be an element of common sense in these situations. Allowing you to filter in would only make a few minutes difference to the groups waiting to tee off and things would soon start to flow again. After all, there would still be the unused 10:00 tee time to help things along.

There is no 10am tee time, its a gap of 2hrs from 10am - 12noon allowing everyone to come round within that period, obviously people can then tee off from 12noon again but they would have to filter in amongst players that took longer.

My argument was that I was now being delayed through no fault of my own and having to wait for groups to tee off who hadn't even started so delaying them was of no consequence, IMO.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No Chris its not what people have been saying (otherwise I'd have agreed with them :D )

I only got involved in this thread because some claimed a 'right' to an 'immediate' start on the 1st and it just doesn't exist

I don't recall anyone claiming a right to an immediate start. The majority said that a good starter would have either done that, as it's often best to, or filtered the match in after the first group had teed off

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

AgHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! not now Robin ! :mad:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't recall anyone claiming a right to an immediate start. The majority said that a good starter would have either done that, as it's often best to, or filtered the match in after the first group had teed off

Then that's why you find it difficult to agree with me ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know what is written down & I don't really care. All I know is that in my opinion, something in which I hold much stock, the starter was in the wrong - he should have let the foresomes matchplay playoff filter onto the first tee amongst those waiting, and the majority of golfers would have been totally accepting of it if they had the situation explained to them.

Exactly