How strict are you at enforcing the rules with your PP's ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had to google what you meant by Hale Irwin putt, but presumably you mean missed the ball? I have no clue how you would miss the ball on a putt and I've never seen it happen. If I did I would probably be too taken aback/busy laughing to even think about whether he counted it or not.

I think everyone else was mystified at the time. If you have not actually seen a video then, from memory, his ball was on the edge of the hole and he went to just tap it in. He wasn't concentrating and his putter caught the ground, bounced over the ball, counts as a shot. I think he lost the tournament, The Open, by one shot. Ouch

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a situation during the second round of our club championship where someone in the final group couldn't find his ball and he remarked that he was going to "go back and hit a provisional to save time". He seemed really annoyed at me when I informed him that doing so would mean that ball was in play.

In an away match a couple of weeks back I hit what I thought was a safe tee shot on the 1st. I had walked off the tee and was about to head off when the opposition captain suggested that my ball might not be good and that a provisional might be in ordre- which I played. I believe I was OK as I was still 'in the vicinity' of the tee when this happened - but TBH I am not sure at which point I would not have been able to play the provisional.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i wouldn't hesitate to mention it in a medal if someone had broken the rules.

Most of the guys i play with reg all have a pretty good understanding of the rules etc and they would be enforced as pretty much every game is either team scores and 4BBB matchplay between the 4 balls on the teams.

But there have been times when breaches have occurred in medals and they would usually be ;being in the water hazard (Moray Firth) that runs along the first seven holes at Nairn and; Prov balls esp when multiple balls have been used as provisionals off the tee and not stated

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a situation during the second round of our club championship where someone in the final group couldn't find his ball and he remarked that he was going to "go back and hit a provisional to save time". He seemed really annoyed at me when I informed him that doing so would mean that ball was in play.
lol what? How could that save any time if he'd already walked down and looked for the ball?? Unless I read that wrong. Provisional saves time because you hit it before​ you walk down!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone feel that they are being seen as almost accusing the said player of cheating ?? I think it's such a difficult situation and I'm the worlds worst diplomat as some of you may have noticed.

Had a weird one the other week playing in a group of three. FC (call him A) found his ball on a path under a bush, so he decided the only shot he had was to play out backwards, with the back of the club left handed towards the tee. A stated to myself (B) and to the third our group, C, that he was going to declare the ball unplayable and drop within two club lengths. Myself and C looked at each other in an obviously confused manner, C said to A "I'm certain the path is an immovable obstruction" but A disagreed on the basis that free relief would be cheating because the ball was playable.

"But the ball is on the path, it's an immovable obstruction and you're entitled to take relief. Look, it's even written on the scorecard."

A refused and said what we were saying is cheating because the ball was playable under the bush and he should take a penalty drop.

"It's not cheating, you're on the path"

"But it's playable"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER"

"I'm taking an unplayable"

"OK"

We gave up. He took an unplayable and I marked him down with a penalty stroke. It was ridiculous and to make it even more daft - it was a bounce game with gimmes galore.

Honestly I just think golf sends people doolally.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In an away match a couple of weeks back I hit what I thought was a safe tee shot on the 1st. I had walked off the tee and was about to head off when the opposition captain suggested that my ball might not be good and that a provisional might be in ordre- which I played. I believe I was OK as I was still 'in the vicinity' of the tee when this happened - but TBH I am not sure at which point I would not have been able to play the provisional.

There is an R&A decisions on how far you can advance before you can no longer return to play a provisional - 50 yards was specified.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello, haven’t been on here in a while, but felt I needed to say something/ask advice in this thread.

I played last Saturday morning with 3 guys I know fairly well and who I get on great with, now they are not my regular playing partners. I am off 8.8, 2 of the guys are off 10 and one off 9.6. Standard was so so for 3 of us but the guy off 9.6 had a good round. In my head he had shot around 39 points, which would have means good cut.

After handing out the couple of quid I lost to him at the end, I asked what he had finished with (the other 2 guys were marking the cards) and he said 33. I asked was it not more and he replied, it was about 38 but I want to keep my handicap where it is.

Now to me this is blatant cheating and handicap massaging, and it turns out he would have won the comp, it has been playing on my mind ever since and would love a bit of advice.

As I said these guys are not my regular partners but I do get on well with them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hello, haven’t been on here in a while, but felt I needed to say something/ask advice in this thread.

I played last Saturday morning with 3 guys I know fairly well and who I get on great with, now they are not my regular playing partners. I am off 8.8, 2 of the guys are off 10 and one off 9.6. Standard was so so for 3 of us but the guy off 9.6 had a good round. In my head he had shot around 39 points, which would have means good cut.

After handing out the couple of quid I lost to him at the end, I asked what he had finished with (the other 2 guys were marking the cards) and he said 33. I asked was it not more and he replied, it was about 38 but I want to keep my handicap where it is.

Now to me this is blatant cheating and handicap massaging, and it turns out he would have won the comp, it has been playing on my mind ever since and would love a bit of advice.

As I said these guys are not my regular partners but I do get on well with them.

How did his card get marked and signed for 33 when he admitted he scored about 38. The player marking his card must have changed some gross scores to make that possible. I'd say pretty serious matter for marker and player if you report them or they report themselves if that's what you demand that they do. Their cheating impacts the rest of the field and the field of any comp he plays in with his unadjusted handicap - so it's not just abut the guy who doesn't want his handicap cut.

What you do depends upon how well you know them and if you can tell them that you don't want to play with cheats...but you should report them or force them to fess up and report themselves.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How did his card get marked and signed for 33 when he admitted he scored about 38. The player marking his card must have changed some gross scores to make that possible. I'd say pretty serious matter for marker and player if you report them or they report themselves if that's what you demand that they do. Their cheating impacts the rest of the field and the field of any comp he plays in with his unadjusted handicap - so it's not just abut the guy who doesn't want his handicap cut.

What you do depends upon how well you know them and if you can tell them that you don't want to play with cheats...but you should report them or force them to fess up and report themselves.

That’s what I understand, they all play together regularly and are good mates so they are obviously in on it together. I was very taken back when he admitted it so blatantly to me. I won’t play with them again but should I take it further?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s what I understand, they all play together regularly and are good mates so they are obviously in on it together. I was very taken back when he admitted it so blatantly to me. I won’t play with them again but should I take it further?

I think you should raise it - not formally - with handicap or competitions secretary - saying that there seemed to be something odd about the card that so-and-so submitted. If there is a history of real or suspected cheating in this way it will be known. But only you will know how well liked the players are and whether it is worth any kick-back you might get. You can of course ask that your concerns are not taken to the players in this instance as it will be obvious the concern came from you - but that you are providing the information as evidence if there is an ongoing issue or there are future similar reports of cheating.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site

One of the reasons people get away with cheating is that they know most people won't make a fuss. It is pointless raising on this forum, if you don't deal with it at your club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the reasons people get away with cheating is that they know most people won't make a fuss. It is pointless raising on this forum, if you don't deal with it at your club.

I guess the point of raising it here is around the question 'I know it is wrong but does it matter sufficient for me to escalate it in the club' - because you might be new to the game or the club - and might not really know the answer - and even if you instinctively do know the answer it's worth getting affirmation on it from here.

To which the answer for this example as it was in a comp is yes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Totally agree.
If someone was protecting their h/cap ....cheating.... and I knew about it I would report them FORMALLY first chance I got.
I notice that although he claimed only 33 pts, he still took your money. Slimeball.

If word gets out what's going on and it came to light you knew about it and did nothing, you'd be as guilty as him.

And if I get in the slimeballs bad books, tough, he's the one that's cheating not me.