How much would you pay.

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't think I would spend more than £20 on a round.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
run off with a lass called Valerie? :)

My brother in law tells the same story...driving down there on a honeymoon road trip - my sister told him to play, but he didn't think it was ok to do!! :rolleyes:
Oh Valerie - when you see a chance take it...but I did get (the to be) Mrs Hogie to take my photo standing under the tree by the 18th Green - I might even have bent down and rubbed the putting surface :)

Cypress Point was another matter - no chance of playing that one - but the pro in the little 'pro cabin' by the clubhouse was nice and gave me a scorecard and ball marker as encouraged by a member also there, as the member thought it cool that I was Scaaattish and we had a chat about Troon and Turnberry :)

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Every year I sit down and look at courses I want to play and check what Open competitions they have. I'll enter a couple of different ones every year and play great courses in great condition off of medal tees and at a good price.

Personally I think that is the way to play courses.
sure is, but also i've managed to network and get a few games on top course for free, all the open venues in Scotland anyway... i never say no to a freebee;)

ferenezejohn

Visit site
I know that the likes of Loch Lomond used to offer some four-balls for £400 through the Scottish golf union, but who wants to play a course where your as welcome as the Corona virus, play your golf and leave before they set the hounds on you.
Just a way for them to help cover overheads.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I know that the likes of Loch Lomond used to offer some four-balls for £400 through the Scottish golf union, but who wants to play a course where your as welcome as the Corona virus, play your golf and leave before they set the hounds on you.
Just a way for them to help cover overheads.

I have to say when I was at Loch Lomond I was treated wonderfully by the staff. Had an absolutely fabulous day and to be honest was treated like royalty and with respect. Had worse (a lot worse) welcomes elsewhere.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
I have to say when I was at Loch Lomond I was treated wonderfully by the staff. Had an absolutely fabulous day and to be honest was treated like royalty and with respect. Had worse (a lot worse) welcomes elsewhere.
Glad you had a good experience, but it seems to be against the ods of those I've known, especially the ones who used to Marshall at the Scottish open and get a game in the ballot.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Seeing some of the replies on the Pebble bit shows that we all regret the ones we missed (As it is in life) but not those that we did.

Anyone on here really regret spending loads on a game (and I mean £100 or more?)

D

Deleted member 23270

Seeing some of the replies on the Pebble bit shows that we all regret the ones we missed (As it is in life) but not those that we did.

Anyone on here really regret spending loads on a game (and I mean £100 or more?)
Nope!

D

Deleted member 21258

Yeah, course wise regret Waterville, North Berwick, Hoylake, all well over £100.:cry: Also another big course in ireland, wish I gone to the local pitch and putt.:oops:

Loch Lomond a couple of years ago when I played it, the welcome was grand, experience wise up there in the top 5.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Last summer when we were all at Sunningdale I lost it for about 3 holes when playing the New. duff, shank, fat and repeat. Walked one hole (I believe (9th) then pulled my head out my arse. I think at a lesser course I’d have walked in. So if anything. Playing an expensive source made me suck it up. Think I scored 15 on back. So i dont regret paying it.

I regret paying as much as I did to play Le Golf National Last March. The course was worth it, but I’d rather have paid a little extra and played in weather that meant I could appreciate the course. It was similar to some of the Kent meets but with so Much water on the course. Some holes were nigh on unplayable as carries were impossible on a few holes.

carldudley

Visit site
I've paid my fair share of £100+ rounds, mostly in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Think Emirates took £170 off me, but what I do have to say is that every moment you are there you're treated like a king. My adidas shoes came out of the locker room cleaner than the day i bought them - still cant bring myself to wear them.

I don't know if we get the same service at a Wentworth, Belfry, Troon etc etc. Some places I never lifted by bag bar putting it in and taking it out the cab at the hotel.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was at Sandy Lane, Barbados last month and they wanted $4,000 dollars to play the Green Monkey course but you could only play it if you were staying in the hotel and that was about $2,000 a night. You can't even buy anything in the clubhouse with a Green Monkey motif on unless you are staying in the hotel. Decided to give it a miss.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Though I enjoyed playing The Emirates Faldo course, I didn't really think it was worth the £150 - I did enjoy it, but £150 for a round of golf... Then again I don't know what Value for £150 in respect of a golf course green fee feels like is as I have nothing to compare it against :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The two most expensive courses I've played have been Turnberry and Gleneagles. Turnberry was part of a package so I don't fully know the breakdown of the green fee and Gleneagles was part of 3 days of golf, the first 2 of which cost me nothing so that was easy to rationalise. I think it would have been much harder to walk up to either and peel off the correct number of notes or swipe a card there and then. Paying in advance somehow sanitises the cost, makes it less painful.

For those who have a low top limit on principle please try a top course just once. The difference is major, the pleasure immense. The golf pictures i flick back to most are from those two trips.

sunshine

Visit site
Was at Sandy Lane, Barbados last month and they wanted $4,000 dollars to play the Green Monkey course but you could only play it if you were staying in the hotel and that was about $2,000 a night. You can't even buy anything in the clubhouse with a Green Monkey motif on unless you are staying in the hotel. Decided to give it a miss.

Assume you mean $400!

When I was there I looked into playing but I couldn't justify the green fees, all 3 courses crazy prices and none of them are on my bucket list.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad you had a good experience, but it seems to be against the ods of those I've known, especially the ones who used to Marshall at the Scottish open and get a game in the ballot.

I second what Jacko said. I spent 2 nights there and cannot fault anything about the superb service. Exclusivity and quality of course has not, in my opinion, been an indicator of being made unwelcome and likely the opposite - had more bad experiences at lower quality clubs

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'll pay my annual dues and my monthly food and beverage bill--and that's about it.
At this point, I'm content to just play with my friends at our club.
If I pay a green free, it will be at the club for a guest.

I've played most of the nicer clubs in the area over the years, but as everybody either gets older, or worse yet, doesn't get older, the reciprocal member-guests have largely dried up.