How much would you pay.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've paid £100 for a round and it was worth every penny. Psychologically my head stops at £120. Don't know why and perhaps I would break that limit for the right course. We all have our limit, for whatever reason, and no one should be criticized for that limit.

D

Deleted member 1147

Most I’ve paid is £110, it should have been £180 but we were given winter rates.
I would have happily paid the extra, and more for a “bucket list “ course.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I have been told that Pebble Beach charge around $500 per round and you have to stay on site in the hotel which costs more than that.....

If given the opportunity I would think seriously and then hand over the credit card. I can always earn more money but you don’t get those chances everyday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pay what my head says I can afford.

It is 'just a round of golf' and my head says that a round of golf is not worth spending oodles of money on.

Would not really put a figure on it because it depends upon one's pockets. As someone who lives on not much more than the my stae pension my pockets are not that deep.

The most I have paid for a round in the past is £35.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Given I have the wherewithal - I think I'd pay whatever is asked up to the point I know that I can buy something else - non-golf- that I would like to have/do more than a round of golf. And if I can't afford both then the round of golf will lose out.

To date I have only breached this rule once - on holiday in Dubai my wife said I could play The Emirates with my cousin. And she said I could treat it as my birthday present for that year. That was £150. Most I have ever paid for a round of golf - by a country mile.

D

Deleted member 23270

Playing top courses has given me some fabulous memories, not really sure how you put a price on that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been told that Pebble Beach charge around $500 per round and you have to stay on site in the hotel which costs more than that.....

If given the opportunity I would think seriously and then hand over the credit card. I can always earn more money but you don’t get those chances everyday.
One major regret of life - back in 1987 I was on holiday with my g/friend (who became Mrs Hogie). We were doing the 17mile drive and popped into Pebble Beach. The Pro Shop said there was a slot if I wanted to play. Green fee $100. I could hire clubs etc. My g/fried said no. We didn't have time (we propbably did) and we had a budget of $60/day. So I didn't play - regrets... :(

Sometimes a Steve Winwood song tells us what to do...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would depend on circumstances and what course was on offer and my financial situation at the time. Usually HID is pretty good with letting me play wherever but would definitely feel compelled to discuss it with her if it was £100+

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
I pay what my head says I can afford.

It is 'just a round of golf' and my head says that a round of golf is not worth spending oodles of money on.

Would not really put a figure on it because it depends upon one's pockets. As someone who lives on not much more than the my stae pension my pockets are not that deep.

The most I have paid for a round in the past is £35.
Agree with this. I paid £30 for Bradley Hall in Halifax. Great course but i've had just as much fun paying £19 at Willow Valley's Pine Valley course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We all have different incomes and priorities...so threads like this are always funny. I didn't play Kingsbarns a couple of years ago at £240 a go, as I'd be paying for my wife too and she didnt want me to pay that - so I will have to go back some other day without her!

I'd pay Sunningdale similar to play there without hesitation... an invite to a game on the 2010 Course at over £60 is refused as "it just aint that good!" I am sure I've paid over £300 in some places, but equally I've had great days out paying under £30.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally at this stage in my life with kids and a mortgage I can find better things to do than pay hundreds for a round of golf.

Usually me and some mates will come up with one or two trips to somewhere that is a bit better than the norm... Machrihanish and St. Andrews last year. Silloth this year. Personally feel you aren't getting ripped off at these places. No doubt I might take a different view when I am older and perhaps can justify a bit more disposable income on some top end venues.

I also don't enjoy playing somewhere once... I feel that I enjoy a course after getting to know it a bit. But perhaps I need to learn to become a bit more proficient with a yardage book. But I certainly wouldn't get a kick out of paying £250+ to play the likes of Troon or Muirfield, knowing that it was probably my only ever hit round there.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Every year I sit down and look at courses I want to play and check what Open competitions they have. I'll enter a couple of different ones every year and play great courses in great condition off of medal tees and at a good price.

Personally I think that is the way to play courses.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Every year I sit down and look at courses I want to play and check what Open competitions they have. I'll enter a couple of different ones every year and play great courses in great condition off of medal tees and at a good price.

Personally I think that is the way to play courses.

Trouble is, down here, any of the courses I would want to play, I would be ballotted out on handicap. Even my own course used to be around the 4 mark, when they had an open.

I'd better get practicing, although I think that boat has sailed for me.

I agree that it is an excellent way of playing top courses though, you just have to be a good golfer.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've always said the most I could justify is about 100 quid
That said, if the opportunity came along to play somewhere special and I could afford it then that number could rise.
But I'd struggle at more than £250....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
When I first started playing my bro in law wouod always play twilight somewhere for £15.

If someone had said then I'd pay over £1k for a membership and £280 for Sunningdale I'd have laughed em out the room.

I used to spend £1000's watching saints and more on drink. Nowadays if I'm playing somehwere expensive I just make a trip of it.

£150 for 1 round seems a lot, but if its £300 for 3 nights and 4 rounds somewhere then it's a whole lot better.