How many Divisions do you have

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can’t open that link

and “cat 1 won more in vouchers than contributed in entry fees” - what does that show ? It’s not much in isolation - what are the vouchers for , how many events ? So many variables

And struggling to understand that last statement ? Won more often than entries ?
I could not initially Phil but had to wait 10 seconds. Some of the info is old but there is plenty of it and somebody has spent a long time producing all the charts

D

Deleted member 15344

https://silo.tips/download/congu-handicapping-system-myths-misconceptions

Phil

Look at the bottom of the page after scrolling through the adverts.

Hope this helps

Cheers

So as it’s saying - most of the winners come from the old cat 2 and 3

And then he is trying to use percentage of entries to counter it

So the overriding point is still the same - the majority of winners come from the mid to high handicap - and it’s a combination of a multiple reasons and not just down to the number of entries. The report doesn’t include the likes of new golfers improving , juniors improving , returning golfers etc - lots of variables

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Can’t open that link

and “cat 1 won more in vouchers than contributed in entry fees” - what does that show ? It’s not much in isolation - what are the vouchers for , how many events ? So many variables

And struggling to understand that last statement ? Won more often than entries ?
Sorry wrote that in rush.
Old cat 1's as group took more out of the prize pot than they contributed in entry fee's. Our prize pot is approx 80% of entry fee's. A total of 16 competitions were in my sample each with around 150 entries in each.
As I said in a previous post, this means that the low boys would be financially worse off if we went to divisions.

Cat 1's won more often than you except than would be expected given the small number of entries from Cat 1's.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Cheers

So as it’s saying - most of the winners come from the old cat 2 and 3

And then he is trying to use percentage of entries to counter it

So the overriding point is still the same - the majority of winners come from the mid to high handicap - and it’s a combination of a multiple reasons and not just down to the number of entries. The report doesn’t include the likes of new golfers improving , juniors improving , returning golfers etc - lots of variables
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Seems like the view of a (whingeing) low-capper!
The use of percentages is to determine whether they are getting more, less, or about their correct 'fair share'! About as sensible as stating a restaurant is expensive - because it has 1 meal or wine that (justifiably) is high priced!

I remember seeing that, or a similar, study around the same time I did mine and it didn't match our results. I did note that the Pros were quite active in teaching and primarily that group (of which I was one), so that was another 'external influence'.

Simply put...the majority of winners come from the mid to high handicap because there's lots more of them! Are low-cappers getting their fair share of wins? Quite likely. But Categories keeps everone happy.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Back to OP. Fairly small membership, two divisions. No gross prize. Decent 2s pay out.
Weekend just gone div 1 was won by a +1 hcp, and a 2 hcp was second.

If combined the +1 would have been 3rd, two points off winning.

I actually was in same group as the div 2 1st and 2nd places. 2nd place I've played with several times and he had his best round to date, kept the major blow ups off. The winner, well less history - did have a fairly repetitive fade/slice and it generally worked out, on other days could imagine it creating problems.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry wrote that in rush.
Old cat 1's as group took more out of the prize pot than they contributed in entry fee's. Our prize pot is approx 80% of entry fee's. A total of 16 competitions were in my sample each with around 150 entries in each.
As I said in a previous post, this means that the low boys would be financially worse off if we went to divisions.

Cat 1's won more often than you except than would be expected given the small number of entries from Cat 1's.
That was different from my 'study' which was not as extensive as yours - fewer comps. But the 2 would 'balance' along the lines of the overall one done in the item you quoted. It (quite possibly) may be that individual courses favour different groups/divisions.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice and simple how many divisions are your medals/Stablefords and also do you have a “best gross” prize

I know a few lads 5 HC below are getting a bit disillusioned going round in 39/38 points and some going under gross and not even getting into the top 10 of the division

Our winning scores used to be around 39/40 but since WHS and HC’s going up to 36 and 54 now if you don’t get over 40 points you have zero chance of being in the vouchers.

I think we should be changing divisions from 2 to 3 - up to 10 HC , 10 to 20 and then 20 above - also think there should be a small best gross voucher prize as well

So what’s it like at your place ? Seeing the same trend of high scores
We have moved to 3 divisions this year as an influx of new members post lockdown(s) has increased the average handicap such that division 2 we starting too high.

As far as gross prizes are concerned these are under active consideration. Interestingly the debate was started via the team competitions over the winter (particularly scrambles) where a gross prize was considered as a way so encouraging lower handicap golfers to enter. Now extending to medals and potentially stableford comps.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice and simple how many divisions are your medals/Stablefords and also do you have a “best gross” prize

I know a few lads 5 HC below are getting a bit disillusioned going round in 39/38 points and some going under gross and not even getting into the top 10 of the division

Our winning scores used to be around 39/40 but since WHS and HC’s going up to 36 and 54 now if you don’t get over 40 points you have zero chance of being in the vouchers.
I suspect, from later posts, that you are one of those 'getting a bit disillusioned'. Divisions, based on HIs rather than on numbers should reduce/remove such 'disillusionment'. But that's also likely to introduce a different distortion/bias!
A Gross prize gives low cappers an additional - and possibly more appropriate - target.

wjemather

Visit site
Handicapped and Gross competitions are separate things. Those in favour of gross prizes should advocate for two separate entries to those two separate competitions. Enter the gross, the handicap, or both, according to your preference.
Absolute nonsense. Competitions routinely have gross and nett prizes (especially those where gross is the main event) as that is what makes most sense and is easy to administer.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is is not nonsense to have people enter a competition they cannot win? Our typical weekend comp entry is 120 players. Gross is ALWAYS won by one of 4 player from scratch to plus 2. The handful of 1 to 3 men cannot beat them. Let alone the other 110 golfer from 5 upwards.
Thats not a real competition.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Is is not nonsense to have people enter a competition they cannot win? Our typical weekend comp entry is 120 players. Gross is ALWAYS won by one of 4 player from scratch to plus 2. The handful of 1 to 3 men cannot beat them. Let alone the other 110 golfer from 5 upwards.

Well if the point is that everyone has a fair and equal chance regardless of aptitude or application, then its not really a competition at all is it.

wjemather

Visit site
What you are saying seems contradictory in a sport where the primary goal is getting the ball into the hole in the fewest number of strokes.

D

Deleted member 15344

Handicapped and Gross competitions are separate things. Those in favour of gross prizes should advocate for two separate entries to those two separate competitions. Enter the gross, the handicap, or both, according to your preference.

I have an idea then - shall we make fair and square on everyone and make it so the person who has scored the less wins - so the winner is the best with the best ability on the day

That’s fair isn’t it ? Judging on ability

So one comp , one division, the person who goes round in the lowest wins

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have an idea then - shall we make fair and square on everyone and make it so the person who has scored the less wins - so the winner is the best with the best ability on the day

Yes.

Given the talk of prize money it’s clear that is what some people are playing for. As such I wouldn’t trust them their HI.

Let the best player win.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Club comps would shrink and die if that, alone, was implemented!

AliMc

Visit site
But not the case in every club, we have 40+ players from + h'caps to 0.9 and over 100 up to 5.0, anyone from them and higher have picked up the scratch prize

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Club comps would shrink and die if that, alone, was implemented!

I can only think they will shrink and die under whs too. Its already the case in the US. They play maybe 3 comps a year and enter with either the full expectation (or intention) of a false handicap winning.

Hopefully a while away, and hopefully time to change.

I can definately say if I could play off the back tees without entering a comp, I wouldn't enter comps!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can only think they will shrink and die under whs too. Its already the case in the US. They play maybe 3 comps a year and enter with either the full expectation (or intention) of a false handicap winning.

Hopefully a while away, and hopefully time to change.

I can definately say if I could play off the back tees without entering a comp, I wouldn't enter comps!
I've no experience of the US Club environment, but can't see why you are connecting WHS with their situation/problem. You may as well have stated that it's because they drive on the right!
FWIW, the Club I play at allows play off the back tees - if you dare! Par 72;CR 74.9;Slope 145 and lots of water!