How many birdies

HPIMG

Visit site
I wanted to ask all mid handicap players from 10 to 15 handicap what’s the most birdies you have had in a single round and what is the best score you had while in this handicap range ?
I recently played a comp and thought I played really well and had a shot of winning then I noticed the guy who won my division had 6 birdies and shot -1
I just don’t see how that’s possible in my division. At minimum if he was 10 handicap he would of shot 11 shots better than his handicap I know things like this are possibly with high handicap players having the odd amazing game but mid handicap players are usually a bit more steady and predictable no ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Playing off 10 it's not impossible to score that well.
I once shot -5 gross playing off 8.
Not common but it's not impossible.

HPIMG

Visit site
It was a points system this week, I’ve never played that way I scored 40 points but other guy got 47 can someone explain how the points system works ?

Springveldt

Visit site
An 11 handicap won a recent comp at ours by shooting +2 gross with a treble on the last so great rounds can happen. He had 4 birdies on the day.

It’s the first time in my 6 years at the club that I can remember being stunned by a gross score by a mid handicapper.

Springveldt

Visit site
It was a points system this week, I’ve never played that way I scored 40 points but other guy got 47 can someone explain how the points system works ?
Stableford. 1 point for a net bogey, 2 points for a net par, 3 for a net birdie, 4 for a net eagle, 5 for a net albatross and 0 for a net double bogey and worse.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Not being funny but is this a wind up? You don't know what stableford is even though you joined a club and played in a competition? How did you fill in the card?

HPIMG

Visit site
Not being funny but is this a wind up? You don't know what stableford is even though you joined a club and played in a competition? How did you fill in the card?
I can assure you it is not a wind up. I know how to mark a card and my playing partner marks mine. I just never played a comp that is points based. Also I only took up golf in past two years and have just started to enter comps this summer.

Harry Putter

Visit site

I've always wanted to play a comp with a partner who has absolutely no idea of stableford marking my card. I'd probably end up with 47 points as well ;)

HPIMG

Visit site
I've always wanted to play a comp with a partner who has absolutely no idea of stableford marking my card. I'd probably end up with 47 points as well ;)
I am confused now. In the comp I just put my playing partners score in as normal nothing different, I didn’t even realise there was any difference until I looked up the results today and thought that’s weird it say points instead of my score.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I am confused now. In the comp I just put my playing partners score in as normal nothing different, I didn’t even realise there was any difference until I looked up the results today and thought that’s weird it say points instead of my score.
I'm confused as well. You must be the only 10-15 handicapper in the country who has never heard of stableford or who dosnt know how it works

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm pretty certain it's ok to just put the gross score on every hole and let the computer work out the points.

In answer to the OP, I've an 8.9 H/I and probably average less than 1 bird per comp round. Having said that, I've had 2 a round for my last three rounds. My theory is that the conditions (very short due to rock hard fairways) have effectively increased my driving distances by about 20 yards a hole.
So maybe a young man who is very long, but inconsistent with putting/short game would have more birdie potential than a normal mid capper (especially one in their late 50's).
Still sounds a bit sneaky though!!

HPIMG

Visit site
I'm confused as well. You must be the only 10-15 handicapper in the country who has never heard of stableford or who dosnt know how it works
I have heard the term stableford but yes I have no idea how it works. What would be classed a good score in points and what would be classed as suspicious ie bandit ? Reason I ask is guy who won seems to enter a lot of comps but his best score before the -1 is +12 he seems to shoot around +12/+15 pretty consistent in comps.

HPIMG

Visit site
I'm pretty certain it's ok to just put the gross score on every hole and let the computer work out the points.

In answer to the OP, I've an 8.9 H/I and probably average less than 1 bird per comp round. Having said that, I've had 2 a round for my last three rounds. My theory is that the conditions (very short due to rock hard fairways) have effectively increased my driving distances by about 20 yards a hole.
So maybe a young man who is very long, but inconsistent with putting/short game would have more birdie potential than a normal mid capper (especially one in their late 50's).
Still sounds a bit sneaky though!!
See that what’s getting me wondering. Yesterday’s weather was very bad. Pretty consistent heavy rain showers with strong winds. I have myself shot a +3 a few weeks ago but it was in a very dry spell and my tee shots were going unusually far. Yesterday there was little roll out and everyone in my group was complaining about struggling to grip the clubs that why I made a topic or rain gloves to buy.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thinking about this a little further, I wonder if whoever marked his card put down his net, rather than gross, scores. The computer then got very excited!
If that's the case, hopefully it gets corrected.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i had 6 birdies having a knock once at Caversham when back from my stag do and shot 1 over - caveat is i picked up on 1, started playing other wordly and so went and did 1 again after 18 - and another birdie. And i missed 2 or 3 from under 5 foot! Best in a proper round i think is 4. And once had 3 on the bounce

_MH_

Visit site
Thinking about this a little further, I wonder if whoever marked his card put down his net, rather than gross, scores. The computer then got very excited!
If that's the case, hopefully it gets corrected.
We've had someone put their points in as their gross score before and the computer got very, very excited ?