How many birdies

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I had 3 last night in an away match, I think that's level with the most I've had in a round.

At my own place there are probably 3 holes that "should" be birdie-able but a lot of it depends on the wind ie. a wind that makes one hole gettable makes the others much harder and vice versa.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm off 14. Most birdies in one round is 3 I believe. I did that back in June but still only shot 84 for 35 points. My best rounds have been 76 at an away course (7 over), or 77 at my home course (9 over).

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm confused as well. You must be the only 10-15 handicapper in the country who has never heard of stableford or who dosnt know how it works
When I took up the game again 6 years ago I put my 3 cards in and got a handicap of 15. First comp I had to ask what the hell was going on as I’d never heard of stableford and was confused why we weren’t just counting up our scores.
Last time I was member before then was as a junior 25 years before and we only ever played medals.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on the course.
At my previous course birdies were fairly easy to get, but so were doubles and triples.
At my current course birdies are much less likely, but to balance that out it's easier to scramble single bogies.

I couldn't say the maximum number of birdies I've ever had in a round. Probably 3 or 4 at a guess.
What I do remember is that my best ever round (when my HCP was about 15) had no birdies - 10 pars and 8 single bogies.
(My current index is 13.2)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm off 15 - probably had 2 in one round but usually none. Was 1 under on that round but lots of pars (had one of those rounds where scrambling was top notch and hardly missed a chip/pitch when off the green, so had a decent amount of 1 putts to keep it going). Only once though :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was a 16 handicap I once had a round with 8 birdies.

Sad part about the round was that I also had 6 double bogeys.

It all added up to the best round I had which lasted quite a few years.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
According to Lou Stagner a scratch player averages 2.2 birdies per round and a 20 handicapper is 0.3 per round. So you'd expect somewhere between this.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A 13 h/c PP scored gross 70 net 57 from the yellows at Carluke GC many years ago, playing at our works outing.
He didn't use a driver once and only had a couple of birdies, played very steady, and holed quite a few big putts.
He eventually got down to 9 h/c but age caught up, he's now 18 h/c, and uses a driver on most long holes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The length of the course will dictate hugely how many birdies are made.

Sub 6000 any number could be made. Start getting up in the high 6000s the birdie count will drop off dramatically.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a friend playing off 16 who got 5 birdies in one round but still only played to handicap being 16 over. Just seemed to have some luck with chip ins and fired at the flag a few times for short birdie putts. Other holes were off searching into trees like normal.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine had 51 points in a Stableford a few weeks ago. He shot gross 1 under off 14 PH, including 5 birdies. He bogeyed the last two holes as well! He's late 50's, got a lovely looking swing, but the ball can go anywhere. No way he's a bandit, it was just his day of days.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a 14 index, just gone through a load of my rounds from over the years and I've made two birdies in a round plenty of times but found only two rounds where there were more, 1 was 3 birdies and the other was 2 birdies and an eagle. I do hope to make at least 1 each round but definitely don't go out there chasing it.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
My index is 17.9, has always been somewhere in the high teens. Since 2015 (when records began ;) ), I've had two birdies in the same round on 22 occasions but I've never had more than two. In that time, I've scored 115 birdies in 347 rounds. That averages to almost exactly one birdie every 54 holes; but, between March and August 2015, I played 451 holes (>25 rounds) in a row without getting one.

In summary, I'm a bit crap and can only dream of six birdies in a round.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It was a points system this week, I’ve never played that way I scored 40 points but other guy got 47 can someone explain how the points system works ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Stableford. If you're new to golf then this is what you should be playing all the time! It's a strokeplay game but it's good for higher handicappers because one terrible hole does not ruin your whole round.

You split your handicap according to the stroke index of each hole. An 18-handicapper would get one shot on every hole, 17 would get one shot on SI1-17 but nothing on SI18, a 19-handicapper would get two shots on SI1 and one shot on all the others.

You score points according to your net score on each hole. A net bogey gives you 1 point, net par is 2 points, net birdie 3 points etc. The handy thing is that you can't score worse than zero. A net double bogey gives you zero points, but a ten also gives you zero. You don't even have to finish every hole. If you've carved two drives OB, just pick up your ball and carry on, no need to keep hacking away when you can't score.

Albo

Visit site
Most I have had is 4 in a round only once, a fair few with 3 and countless with 1 and 2.
My HCI is currently 8.9. I would say that getting a bird in a round these days happens more often than not getting one, certainly around my home track.
Never got near 6 in a round mind

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Most in a round, 7 off 6.5 at the Cooden Bay outing in 2013. A good number of rounds with 6, and more with 5, some with the odd eagle or two thrown in. Over the last 50+ years of playing I’ve seen the odd 50+ points by established golfers. It happens, don’t get fussed about it. I was a bit of a streak player. If I was on it, it could be embarrassingly good but, equally, I could shoot high 70’s quite easily. And that applies right through from low to high handicap.

I think my best round was 44pts, off 4, on a wet and breezy day at an Appleby Open in the 90’s.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
First sentence by the OP tells me I should not post anything as I'm not 10-15 handicap, so forgive me please.

My best is 7 birdies in one round, but still finished one over! That included a best-ever four in a row (nose-to-tail and definitely not "back-to-back" argh!)
That was the morning round of a club championship.
Shot two over in the afternoon with three birdies. A bit more like proper golf, though.
Over 30 years ago, but I remember it well because I won!

Very refreshing to hear that someone's golf-score-thinking has not been contaminated with stableford. Well done - keep it up.

RichA

Visit site
A friend in the 10-15 range recently played a pb round of 77 that included 4 birdies. His previous round was a 93.
Anything can happen if you're in that skill range where you're capable of scoring a birdie on any hole but are mostly a steady bogey golfer.