How many Divisions do you have

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice and simple how many divisions are your medals/Stablefords and also do you have a “best gross” prize

I know a few lads 5 HC below are getting a bit disillusioned going round in 39/38 points and some going under gross and not even getting into the top 10 of the division

Our winning scores used to be around 39/40 but since WHS and HC’s going up to 36 and 54 now if you don’t get over 40 points you have zero chance of being in the vouchers.

I think we should be changing divisions from 2 to 3 - up to 10 HC , 10 to 20 and then 20 above - also think there should be a small best gross voucher prize as well

So what’s it like at your place ? Seeing the same trend of high scores
Low cappers (as a group) will always complain - seems to be a basic tenet of Golf.

But as WHS has stretched handicaps at almost all clubs (those with Slope over 113), adjusting Divisions probably makes sense - again, based on Slope.

The fact that HC's going to 36 an 54 shouldn't have any effect on Low cappers (except as another - invalid - reason to whinge), as they'll be in different division. But refer to my 1st para!

Oh! You might also ask the (rest of the) low-cappers if, in handicap comps, the Best Scratch prize should be scrapped too - as there's zero possibility of high-cappers winning it! ;) Not that I'm actually advocting that!

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
With the exception of Monthly Medals, which are played in 3 fixed divisions (by PH: <=10, 11-18, >=19), divisions are dynamic and dependant on entries, with boundaries set wherever the numbers in each division are relatively equal, with prize money split between divisions in proportion to the number of players in each.

We have a lowest gross prize for medals only.

Nett and Stableford scores are fairly similar under WHS as they were under UHS, with winners spread across the range of handicaps in each division.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
With a Playing Handicap of 3 last year, I scored 29 points in a comp.
I was only 2.65 shots over my handicap as I achieved a differential of 5.65.
Course was - par 70, Course Rating 72.0, Slope Rating 140 and a PCC of +1 on the day.
34 points off the yellows at my own club on the same day would have got me a similar differential.

A difference of 5 points, but similar differentials would have been achieved.
What's your point?

wjemather

Visit site
Low cappers (as a group) will always complain - seems to be a basic tenet of Golf.
But as WHS has stretched handicaps at almost all clubs (those with Slope over 113), adjusting Divisions probably makes sense - again, based on Slope.
The fact that HC's going to 36 an 54 shouldn't have any effect on Low cappers (except as another - invalid - reason to whinge), as they'll be in different division. But refer to my 1st para!
Oh! You might also ask the (rest of the) low-cappers if, in handicap comps, the Best Scratch prize should be scrapped too - as there's zero possibility of high-cappers winning it! ;) Not that I'm actually advocting that!
Don't forget that low handicappers also win a share of the 2s sweep significantly more frequently than everyone else. It's certainly a big reason why I enter comps rather than just putting GP scores in.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
With the exception of Monthly Medals, which are played in 3 fixed divisions (by PH <=10, 11-18, >=19), divisions are dynamic and dependant on entries, with boundaries set wherever the numbers in each division are relatively equal, with prize money split between divisions in proportion to the number of players in each.

We have a lowest gross prize for medals only.

Nett and Stableford scores are fairly similar under WHS as they were under UHS, with winners spread across the range of handicaps in each division.
Seems eminently (far too) sensible.

Jason.H

Visit site
I don’t see any difference from 15 years ago. Scoring changes depending on conditions, pin positions, tees back or front ect. Our stableford last week won with 39 sometimes it will be 41 points. Low handicappers are more likely to cash in the twos pot. Personally I’d like to see a gross prize in the monthly medal.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When someone states on here that they scored 37 points it does not mean much to me.
When someone states that 42 points won the comp - similar.
My point is that 29 points on one course can be similar to 34 points on another.
Stableford points is not your golf score.
Agreed.
But it's a pretty good way to compare results in the same comp (on the same course)!
Edit: To compare Stableford on different course, a comparison using 'Points + Course Rating minus Par' would be better. Just as it would have been pre-WHS if 'Points + SSS minus Par' was used.

Last edited:

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Weekend medals 4 Divisions

Midweek Stablefords 2 Divisions because of the size of the entry

Trophies 2 Divisions 0 - 18 Honours Trophy 18 Plus Salver

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Two divisions for monthly medals and stablefords, split according to the number in the field to try and maintain a similar number in each division. It’s generally 10 and below in division one, 11 and upwards in two, with a lowest gross in each.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
3 divisions which are flexible depending on numbers but generally up to 11, 12 to 20, 21 and up...

We get the odd wacky score - a stableford was won with 43 points playing off 8 the other week (genuine red letter day) but mostly 37/38 at least gets you in the places.
Surely if winning scores are constantly in the mid 40s it suggests that players are getting too many shots..? Especially if 38 points doesn't get in the top 15..
Are handicaps accurate?
Doesn't sound like it to me and if 44 was winning every week I just wouldn't bother wasting the money.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
3 divisions which are flexible depending on numbers but generally up to 11, 12 to 20, 21 and up...

We get the odd wacky score - a stableford was won with 43 points playing off 8 the other week (genuine red letter day) but mostly 37/38 at least gets you in the places.
Surely if winning scores are constantly in the mid 40s it suggests that players are getting too many shots..? Especially if 38 points doesn't get in the top 15..
Are handicaps accurate?
Doesn't sound like it to me and if 44 was winning every week I just wouldn't bother wasting the money.

Not if the CR is 4 under par, which is the point Backsticks was trying to make.

wjemather

Visit site

Are handicaps accurate?
Impossible to say without knowing the 'play to handicap' score, or the difference between Course Rating and par. There is at least one course locally where CR is 4 under par, which means 40 points are needed to play to handicap.

AliMc

Visit site
When someone states on here that they scored 37 points it does not mean much to me.
When someone states that 42 points won the comp - similar.
My point is that 29 points on one course can be similar to 34 points on another.
Stableford points is not your golf score.
Very well said and I have said previously on the Random Golf Irritation thread i wish folk would stop telling us how many points they scored and tell us what they actually scored, either their Gross or +/- in relation to par, unless it's specifically a Stableford comp, which thankfully we have very few of, I don't know anybody who when asked 'how did you do today' would reply in points they would say shot 75 or 4 over, I'm happy if it's just my own personal Irritation ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very well said and I have said previously on the Random Golf Irritation thread i wish folk would stop telling us how many points they scored and tell us what they actually scored, either their Gross or +/- in relation to par, unless it's specifically a Stableford comp, which thankfully we have very few of, I don't know anybody who when asked 'how did you do today' would reply in points they would say shot 75 or 4 over, I'm happy if it's just my own personal Irritation ?

If you are going to nit pick (I fully understand why) surely even then they should be telling you how they scored in relation to the course rating and not the par:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: