How many balls do you start a round of golf with?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
What is normal? I always carry at least double figures but I'm not normal.

Anything fewer than six would freak me out despite, in 40 years, never having lost more than three in a round

AliMc

Visit site
A couple of scabby ones for the net.
Probably 3 ish used but great condition for general play, and maybe 3 new ones at any one time.
About the same for me, 2 sleeves of 3 TP5's and a couple of loose ones, don't generally lose many where we play so most go the practice ball bag when they get worn out, must be about 200 in there !

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually between 6 and 10. Mostly decent but always have a couple of chewed up ones for evening golf with low sun where you can’t see diddly squat.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Without meaning to be glib - usually the same number that I finished the previous round with - and that could be dozens as I tend to find a fair few every round; they all go in my bag; and I am hopeless at emptying it.

As I will empty my bag's pockets before next playing I'm guessing I'll leave a couple of dozen - I might as well as I rarely buy new and don't have boxes gifted hanging around and so my bag is the best place to keep the balls I'm going to use for the coming however many rounds :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not enough :)

Usually there's between 10 & 20 in the bag but that's because I tend to find more than I lose and alway forget to clear any out. When i do, I'll leave half a dozen in there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lordy, I've just checked and there were 28 balls in there :oops:. It's a bit of a throwback to when I started and played a course that had the potential to swallow a few balls. Now I often go around with the same ball or lose only 1 or 2 so I really need to take some out.

Saying that, I doubt I could start with fewer than 15 in the bag. Why stress when I'm using an electric trolley to carry the weight ?.

Is any thought scarier for a golfer than running out of golf balls?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Loads and loads - the bag weighs a tonne! I think I'll thin it out before golf returns - which I still have no idea when that will be in NI :(

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing the 18 hole course about 6

Playing the 9 When I carried clubs only 2 or 3 but have been known to have to go in the woods for a ball hunt to finish the round a few times now I use a bag about 6. Many around as well that I have come in more than 10.

Most of the finders normally get left on the 1st tee as I walk past it for someone else as they are usually cheap and 2 piece balls.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will usually only use two brand new balls in a competiton round. Any more and the jig is up.

Usually have around 10-15 balls in the bag at any one time. Like to use a new one on the 1st for a comp but have no issues with using the ball "in play" so to speak. If that ball lasts a few rounds without a knife mark and I'm playing well then I'll keep using it.

Social knocks a ball that isnt chewed up will do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to carry about 3 sleeves of brand new balls

1 sleeve at bottom of bag

Then other two are open, 4 balls put in my ball holders on the bag and 2 in play (one provisional and one in play ball)

Sometimes have more just because I've overtopped up

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Around 6 usually. Might be a sleeve of new ones, plus a few found stragglers for provisionals, or if I've lost a couple of new ones and don't want to lose anymore! Carrying anymore than that is just pointless extra weight. Even if you have a mare and lost 6 balls somehow, you can always find one in the bushes after you lost the first 4/5.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Probably 5. I get nervous if there are only 3, but more than 5 seems excessive. If I lose 5, I am probably also going to run short of clubs too, as I clearly am not playing well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure tbh - normally have a couple of new ones and then there is about 10plus in the bottom of the bag