How many balls do you start a round of golf with?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It depends where I’m playing. There are some courses local to me where the main defence is trees rather than lots of rough, and it is difficult to lose many balls. So on those occasions I’m happy with a couple of sleeves.

At my own club it’s a different story. In mid summer with bone hard fairways and shin to knee high second cut, and wind thrown in because of its exposed position, the course can swallow up ammo - even good shots can run out of fairway, never to be seen again.

So at home, even though I can’t ever recall losing half a dozen in a round, ever, I still make sure I’ve at least a dozen in my bag. The day I get down to my last golf ball half way round the back nine, I’ll be seeking therapy for my nerves.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on the course and conditions. I carry so usually 3 or 4 in the bag but will go up to 6 if it’s windy or I’m playing somewhere new.

I’ve never run out but have come close a couple of times.

Boomy

Visit site
Usually 6-8 in there - depending if I’ve topped up from the previous round and/or remembered to take any out that I’ve found. I always carry so more would be unnecessary weight.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a dozen to twenty in my ball pocket. It’s quite big so why not fill it. I use cheapish balls on full 18 courses. Those decathlon ones at the moment.

My pencil bag has about 3-6 in it. I use premium high spinning balls at the par 3.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 or 4 playable in bounce games, and put a new one in for a competition. I only lose a couple a year at our course, I'm a very short hitter so even the wayward strike doesn't go far enough to elude me. Might stick a couple more in on away days to be absolutely sure.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably keep about a dozen in my cart bag, 6 in my carry bag, I don't usually hit them far enough to lose them :cry:.
But unfortunately I lost 3 last week on our 1st hole [ none OOBs ]:p. all lost either in fallen leaves or plugged in soft ground just slightly of the fairway :eek::mad:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A dozen for me

A really really bad round would mean losing up to 6 so there's enough if I'm staying away for the weekend and have back to back nightmare rounds)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Two new ones, a couple that are new enough that they dont cause any mental questions about their ability, and a couple retired veterans.