How long do you arrive at airport before flight?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did consider driving - but wouldn’t go down well with the Mrs. It’s Jet2 we’re going with. I’ll not be fancying a pint or a breakfast for that matter at that time of the morning. I can’t really complain and am grateful to our mate for organising. But can’t help thinking if we were going alone I’d be setting off from home around 3am rather than getting there for 3am.
Jet2 are the slickest airline out there imo, no stress for you there. Ah well, you will be there early but it is one to take on the chin. Try your best not to make a comment when you sail through in minutes :ROFLMAO:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't fly very much these days but 3hrs for international, 90 minutes for domestic is usually my rough times to arrive
Of course things like drop-off/or parking, the travel distance from home, pre check-in, hold luggage/carry only and time of day etc will adjust that

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure why people are commenting on which airline it will be, surely they are only a small part of the chain and it is people like the parking/shuttle bus drivers, security, etc that are common to all airports that can really mess things up? As well as the other passengers who try and take liquids, never remember to take off their belts when getting scanned, etc who inevitably slow things up (obviously no forum member will admit to being in this group ;) )

D

Deleted member 25172

Rather 2 hours too early than 10 seconds too late. No sympathy for people who want to maximise "efficiency" and get to the airport as close to departure as possible and end up missing the flight.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
For a smaller airport like Leeds-Bradford at that time, I’d be getting there about two hours before the flight. Would build in a buffer depending how far I had to travel.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Rather 2 hours too early than 10 seconds too late. No sympathy for people who want to maximise "efficiency" and get to the airport as close to departure as possible and end up missing the flight.
It never ceases to amaze me how many morons get the the front of the security queue and aren’t prepared, or have a load liquids they shouldn’t have.

When I’m king those people will be returned to the back of the queue to try again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure why people are commenting on which airline it will be, surely they are only a small part of the chain and it is people like the parking/shuttle bus drivers, security, etc that are common to all airports that can really mess things up? As well as the other passengers who try and take liquids, never remember to take off their belts when getting scanned, etc who inevitably slow things up (obviously no forum member will admit to being in this group ;) )
There is a definite difference between airlines and bag drop off. I flew with Ryanair recently. All checked in beforehand but we still had to queue for about 30 minutes each way to drop our bags off. I've flown multiple times with Jet2. It's rare that drop off takes longer than 2 minutes, 5 max. They are super slick and a joy to fly with. Depending on who you fly with, you may have to factor in queuing time or not just to drop your luggage off.

D

Deleted member 25172

It never ceases to amaze me how many morons get the the front of the security queue and aren’t prepared, or have a load liquids they shouldn’t have.

When I’m king those people will be returned to the back of the queue to try again.
Even worse is when they start to argue with the staff about it. But then again, the rules have only been in place for what, about 15-20 years or so? Need to expect some more time for people to adapt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it was a holiday with friends I'd aim for 2 hours before, so there's time for a compulsory pint at the airport. If it was just me and the missus, we'd aim for an hour and a half, she'd make us late as usual and we'll be lucky to make it there 45 minutes before the flight.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Even worse is when they start to argue with the staff about it. But then again, the rules have only been in place for what, about 15-20 years or so? Need to expect some more time for people to adapt.
Anyone that argues should be removed from the airport and be added to the no fly list.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

It did seem different last time. Previously my wife has used a zip up clear bag for liquids and there was no limit obvious on what she could take. Last time through Heathrow they wanted the liquids moved into one of their diposable clear bags and woudl only let through what would fit in one bag. As a result of something OK last year not being OK this year we had to move everything into a new bag and split between her and me so as it would all fit in one bag each.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’ve missed 3 flights in the last 45yrs. 1) I slept in. 2) I was convinced it was a 1pm flight when it was a 11am flight. 3) Ill in hospital. The second one we missed the gate by 2 mins. I know it’s obvious but I’d rather be early than have the hassle of trying to find a 2nd flight with spare seats on the same day.

D

Deleted member 25172

It did seem different last time. Previously my wife has used a zip up clear bag for liquids and there was no limit obvious on what she could take. Last time through Heathrow they wanted the liquids moved into one of their diposable clear bags and woudl only let through what would fit in one bag. As a result of something OK last year not being OK this year we had to move everything into a new bag and split between her and me so as it would all fit in one bag each.
There's nothing different. Your wife had taken a chance at some point with her own oversized plastic bag, and for some reason gotten away with it. At Heathrow, they applied the rules as they've been for donkey's years.

Last edited by a moderator:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's nothing different. Your wife had taken a chance at some point with her own oversized plastic bag, and for some reason gotten away with it. At Heathrow, they applied the rules as they've been for donkey's years. I'm surprised that I still get surprised over the complete lack of awareness some people have of their surroundings.

Not been an issue in using it at any airport since the rules came in, including Heathrow the previous year. On that basis, why assume anything different. Looking at the rules, it is fully compliant, single 20cm by 20cm bag, capacity of up to one litre, transparent, resealable and made of plastic, perfectly within the description and there is no mention of the need to use the bags provided.

I am surprised that people can be fully compliant with the laws in place and people are surprised when the way in which they are applied, in this case the insistance on the use of the bags provided, results in a short hold up whilst they are complied with.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not been an issue in using it at any airport since the rules came in, including Heathrow the previous year. On that basis, why assume anything different. Looking at the rules, it is fully compliant, single 20cm by 20cm bag, capacity of up to one litre, transparent, resealable and made of plastic, perfectly within the description and there is no mention of the need to use the bags provided.

I am surprised that people can be fully compliant with the laws in place and people are surprised when the way in which they are applied, in this case the insistance on the use of the bags provided, results in a short hold up whilst they are complied with.
The initial post suggested multiple bags, not just one. Did your wife have just the one bag or a number of bags? The rule is 1 bag, zip must be fully sealed, max per container is 100ml, you can have as many as you can fit in the one bag.

D

Deleted member 25172

I think you're telling porkies as you in your first post are saying that the liquids had to be split up in one bag each in order for it to fit. :)

But, this is straying away from the topic now!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you're telling porkies as you in your first post are saying that the liquids had to be split up in one bag each in order for it to fit. :)

But, this is straying away from the topic now!

No and please do not accuse me of lying, it is not nice. The bag in question was within the required size and basically a cube and still less than a litre and 20cm by 20cm the plasic bags provided a flat and less than a litre when sealed it would appear or a less efficient shape as it took 2 of those as opposed to the one plastic cube.

Please, Try and be less patronising and isulting in future, it really does not benefit the forum to adopt such an attitude.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The initial post suggested multiple bags, not just one. Did your wife have just the one bag or a number of bags? The rule is 1 bag, zip must be fully sealed, max per container is 100ml, you can have as many as you can fit in the one bag.

One bag that the contents of took 2 of the airport bags to fit the items in question and hence the need to divide between 2 of us as it was 2 bags now and not one. Been using it for over a decade with no issues.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One bag that the contents of took 2 of the airport bags to fit the items in question and hence the need to divide between 2 of us as it was 2 bags now and not one. Been using it for over a decade with no issues.
Ah, then you have been 'getting away with it' for that time and whichever airport you use has rubbish security :oops: . I've certainly seen people pulled up for this at Newcastle, also Bristol are red hot on it.

The good news is, in this instance, you were able to split it between the two of you. It would have been annoying to have to throw stuff away.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, then you have been 'getting away with it' for that time and whichever airport you use has rubbish security :oops: . I've certainly seen people pulled up for this at Newcastle, also Bristol are red hot on it.

The good news is, in this instance, you were able to split it between the two of you. It would have been annoying to have to throw stuff away.

Agree, it has not been a problem at Heathrow (until last year), Gatwick, Stanstead, Luton, Manchester and East Midlands before and had been fine at Gatwick since. Will know to just use their bags next year rather than the re-useable one.