Flight Compensation?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I am stuck in Germany after Ryanair is letting us down big time.

I have a couple of questions, and maybe someone knows. Google is popping up a lot of pages that look like to win no fee rubbish.
We are flying with 2 grown ups and a just under 2 year old toddler.

a) On the flight out we were 3 hours delayed. The pilot confirmed to us 3:01, the flight screening web pages are showing 2:58.
My understanding is that over 3 hours we are do compensation, under it is nothing. Do we get anything for that?
They were very quick sending us an email pointing us to our travel insurance, but I thing we might be due something from them directly.

b) Tonight we were scheduled to fly back. Ryanair cancelled the flight after the departure time, likely because the plane never left Stanstead. They should have known with at least an hours notice.
Anyway, no Ryanair staff left in the airport, the airport staff says we are to make our own arrangements. Ryanair sent an email & text to either claim a refund or get a free flight as soon as available.

We booked the 1st flight out with KLM tomorrow (in a few hours really) for over EUR 1000.
Are we due something (better everything) from Ryanair? Or are we just getting the refund for half a round trip?
Next available Ryanair flight would have been on Tuesday, probably Wednesday by now which point the under 2 would turn 2 and cost extra, plus I would have lost out on work as well. So Monday seems reasonable to me.

My car is collating parking costs in Stanstead right now, will I get that back? And I still have to get there.

I have travel insurance because of medical reasons, but I booked and paid for 2 (+1 toddler) and my partner has not. Would my travel insurance cover us all if needed because I paid for everything? Or would that just cover my half of the fair?

I am really p off with them right now. Good we haven't booked our next set for October yet. Already decided we give them a miss an fly 100k away from destination with BA from Heathrow from now on. Not much more expensive, and we can reach HR in short time by a regular bus. Just the inlays might have to travel further to collect us.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've not flown with Ryanair since 2005 when they left 4 of us stuck in Belgium at a moment's notice. All we got was collect your bags and sort yourself out!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just boarded in Amsterdam. Thanks for the links, will have to look later. I can recommend KLM, and Schiphol looks amazing apart from us having to do it at a 4 minute mile pushing a pram.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd second the post relating to Simon Calder. He is the guru for all travel advice.

Ryanair do their best to avoid taking responsibility, they really are a horrible organization.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Came back from malpensa milan earlier this year with easyjet. It is 3 hiurs when the doors are opened at destiny nation. We Malpensa after 3 hrs five mins. Wr arrived and doors opened on 2.58. Wr had stipped for two seconds. Delay time. 2 hrs 58.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The key part in this is not 3 hours delayed departure but 3 hours delayed arrival. If you are over 3 hours late in arriving you would be entitled to claim under the EU261 regulation. As for the cancelled flight you are also entitled to compensation under EU261.

Lots of info on the wiki page as follows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Compensation_Regulation_261/2004#Compensation_and_assistance

There is no need to go down the no win no fee claim companies, just bide your time and be patient and you should get your money.

As for parking, try your travel insurance, i'd be surprised if Ryanair give you anything for that. I would be surprised if you get anything back for your KLM flight especially as that was your choice to book and not advisory by Ryanair or your travel insurance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I had a delayed Ryanair flight earlier this year. There is a form on their website (you have to look deep for it) which you can fill out online and claim the compensation. As Val says, don't use a no win no fee organisation as you end up paying them money for nothing. The airline is legally bound to pay out. I had to wait about 3 or 4 weeks for the cheques to be sent out but I got them. Also, you have to submit a separate claim for each passenger.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Also, you have to submit a separate claim for each passenger.
Thats good to know, Cheers for that.

The car park company didn’t give me the opportunity to pay extra on the machine, so they just drove to the gate. I was about to explain what happened and there was a queue forming, so they just opened the barrier.

In the meantime I found out that I have annual insurance, so has my other half. And we also ticked the trip endurance box when booking.

i have to sort it out at work, still no internet at the new home.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had the same as the OP from Sleazy Jet a couple of years ago. Was lucky to get back the cost of the flights, and that took months. Luckily it was a departure from LHR that was cancelled, so I just went home. Their attitude at the time was appalling.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Flew with Jet2 earlier this year. They found a fault just before take off, couldn’t fix it, and had to get a new plane. We took off 3 hours and 10 minutes behind schedule but magically landed 2 hours 58 minutes late which meant we weren’t due a penny.

the pilots are obviously told to put their foot down and do everything they can to get on the ground inside the 3 hour deadline.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I understand it, under the Eu rules, the compensation is paid irrespective if you have travel insurance or a contract with a tour company. So you can find that you have 3different courses of action. The airline CANNOT tell you to address it through your travel insurance. They also have to give you food / accommodation as an addition, not instead of.

Ther are some exceptions to the EU compensation , but a relatively recent legal case proved that technical issues didn’t count, so they can’t say their plane was broken down to get out of it

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I received an email today that I get compensation for the outbound flight. And the amount suggests that they also pay for the under 2y/o one.

I only applied for compensation for the cancelled return flight on Tuesday as we currently don’t have Internet at home. For cancelled we must be getting something for sure, so overall we can’t be down a lot after that.

I might still claim a refund for the cancelled flight after they paid out? Or does the compensation cover that already?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Flew with Jet2 earlier this year. They found a fault just before take off, couldn’t fix it, and had to get a new plane. We took off 3 hours and 10 minutes behind schedule but magically landed 2 hours 58 minutes late which meant we weren’t due a penny.

the pilots are obviously told to put their foot down and do everything they can to get on the ground inside the 3 hour deadline.

Maybe if everyone stopped trying to sue everyone else for the slightest bit of inconvenience then prices wouldn't be so high for everyone else.
Sorry to disagree but you should be thankful, they found what was likely a major fault before you left, would you rather have taken off on time then had a problem at 37000ft?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I can assure you I was not thankful when I was sat at Naples airport fo 13 hours. Easyjet sent out a spare plane but not a spare crew. Glad I never had a connecting flight.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe if everyone stopped trying to sue everyone else for the slightest bit of inconvenience then prices wouldn't be so high for everyone else.
Sorry to disagree but you should be thankful, they found what was likely a major fault before you left, would you rather have taken off on time then had a problem at 37000ft?

Maybe if the airlines provided proper duty of care for people over the years then there would have been no need for the EU to bring in the regulation