How long do you arrive at airport before flight?

WGCRider

Visit site
For short hall - no check in luggage - 45min max before flight out of Heathrow. With check luggage 1hr 15min. Long haul 90min unless it's an evening flight with the kids in which case it's easier to have dinner at the airport.

All about the prep. Check in on your phone, sort your liquids out at home (rules for that change in about a month I think), make sure your laptop/tablet is easily accessible at security. At security always choose the queue with the most business travellers even if it's longer than the others.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The flight is mid-week at 6am to Menorca, from Leeds Bradford. In case that makes a difference.
Having flown from LBA many times at 6-7 ish, I would say 2.5 hours is comfortable. We flew a couple of months ago and security speed there has been improved significantly.

Edit: I now see you are with Jet2. They let you book in as soon as you wish and are pretty quick. Ryanair now seem to have a predeparture block time before you can start putting your hold bags through the self serve system.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how many morons get the the front of the security queue and aren’t prepared, or have a load liquids they shouldn’t have.

When I’m king those people will be returned to the back of the queue to try again.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail

7 of us (including 3 kids under 6) got through security in 10 mins

That included all boarding passes being on my phone instead of printed

Scan nanny through, scan the kids in turn. Scan grandad then me and wife done

Grab 3 trays shove stuff in. Pick it up done

Helped that none of us got stopped and travel light these days pocket wise just a phone rest lives in bag

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The flight is mid-week at 6am to Menorca, from Leeds Bradford. In case that makes a difference.
The flight radar app is what you need. By looking on the app the week before you can check how many flights are going around 6a.m.usually the busiest time. If travelling around 10a.m. it should generally be quieter. If at a larger Airport eg Manchester check where Ryanair are flying from, T3 and you should get a general idea.

For me 30 minutes early is far better than 30 minutes late arriving. Enjoy your holiday

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on the airort for us. We're going to Gatwick early tomorrow and leaving 4 hours to allow for overnight road closures, security hold ups etc. Would far rather have an extra pint with the 'spoons brekkie than be running round in a panic to get there.
If we were going from Bournemouth then we thend to leave 2.5 hours before. Easy 1/2 hour drive for us and you fly through the airport once there.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
4 hours. Breaks my lass every time. We neither drink or eat till we get to destination either so it’s usually casual shopping, sitting and her getting more wound up I’m outside chuffing.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remember the days when you booked in and then you could go and watch the aeroplanes take off and land? Now very few airports have a place where you can actually see an aeroplane!

Swango1980

Visit site
I get there about 3 hours before, although only because I travel from Lincoln and usually going to Manchester Airport. So, I get there early just to be on the safe side in case there are delays on my long drive there. If my flight was at 6am, I may not be so conservative, as it is unlikely I'll hit much congestion on the way.

Also, I like to get there early in case there are any long queues at Check In or at Security. Sometimes it can be an absolute nightmare, sometimes a piece of cake

D-S

Visit site
Worth finding out when check in / bag drop opens. We received emails and text reminders from EasyJet last year when travelling back from Mallorca telling us to be at the airport at least 2.5 hours before departure - we duly arrived a little under 3 hours before only to find an enormous crowd of people hanging around as they weren’t opening check-in or bag drop until 2 hours before - it was chaos.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Normally 2.5 / 3 hours so their is no stress, enjoy a drink or if early in the morning a coffee and bacon roll.
I'd recommend the fast passes through security as well, makes everything an absolute doddle.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've been stood at bag check in for over an hour, I've waited in security for over an hour, and been in the queue for large luggage for over an hour.
If all three of those occurred on the same flight I'd be screwed if I only arrived 1.5 hrs before the flight.

I normally give it 3-4 hours

abidahave

Banned
Visit site
Figuring out when to arrive at the airport can be a bit tricky, but it largely depends on the airline, the airport, and whether it's domestic or international. Personally, I like to play it safe and aim for at least 2 hours before domestic flights and 3 for international. That way, you have a buffer for unexpected delays, security, and all those little unforeseen hiccups.

D-S

Visit site
If I’m flying home then I’ll happily sit at the airport for 4 hours before I head off. Love T5 at Heathrow because I always fly to 🇿🇦 from there.
T5 an overpriced overly busy shopping mall, a 2 stop train ride away from the actual airport terminal.