Do you check your golf clubs for damage at the airport?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just back from a 4 day jaunt to Portugal, had a brilliant time which had the gloss taken off it by the snapped driver shaft!

I had my clubs sensibly packaged i.e. decent golf travel bag, broom handle and everything wrapped in a towel however that still didn't stop Easyjet managing to snap my driver shaft!!

SLDRShaftDamage_4a_zpsbb1fb573.jpg

SLDRShaftDamage_2a_zpsb64da91e.jpg

Before speaking to my insurance company I decided to try my luck with Easyjet themselves as the carrier of my luggage. Given the fact that we paid additional costs to have them carry our clubs I thought they might take some sort of interest….wrong. Essentially unless you provide evidence of any damage to equipment in the airport they won’t take any responsibility. Their stance is that as soon as you leave the airport you could have done the damage yourself so they can’t/won’t help.

I guess my question is, for those who take/have taken their clubs away, do you check your clubs as soon as they are out the other end? Obviously lesson learnt on my part that in future I will (although I suspect they will still not take responsibility and suggest that the damage was caused elsewhere) however landing at 1:00am and unloading the contents of my golf bag wasn't on my list of things to do!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just back from a 4 day jaunt to Portugal, had a brilliant time which had the gloss taken off it by the snapped driver shaft!

I had my clubs sensibly packaged i.e. decent golf travel bag, broom handle and everything wrapped in a towel however that still didn't stop Easyjet managing to snap my driver shaft!!

SLDRShaftDamage_4a_zpsbb1fb573.jpg

SLDRShaftDamage_2a_zpsb64da91e.jpg

Before speaking to my insurance company I decided to try my luck with Easyjet themselves as the carrier of my luggage. Given the fact that we paid additional costs to have them carry our clubs I thought they might take some sort of interest….wrong. Essentially unless you provide evidence of any damage to equipment in the airport they won’t take any responsibility. Their stance is that as soon as you leave the airport you could have done the damage yourself so they can’t/won’t help.

I guess my question is, for those who take/have taken their clubs away, do you check your clubs as soon as they are out the other end? Obviously lesson learnt on my part that in future I will (although I suspect they will still not take responsibility and suggest that the damage was caused elsewhere) however landing at 1:00am and unloading the contents of my golf bag wasn't on my list of things to do!

yes, as I know the Airline rules

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might have a problem with your insurance company as well, as they'll ask if you checked them at each movement, out of cab, check in, carousel, into cab and out of cab!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You might have a problem with your insurance company as well, as they'll ask if you checked them at each movement, out of cab, check in, carousel, into cab and out of cab!

The insurance company are fine with it and they've accepted the claim. Just frustrate at Easyjet to be honest.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
you asked a question and you got an answer, what were you looking for? tea and sympathy...........I can do that as well if you like:whistle:

Apologies, just annoyed by the run around that I am getting from Easyjet. I have just spoken to someone at Gatwick Airport who deals with lost luggage and apparently at the time I arrived I wouldn't have been able to report it to Easyjet anyway as they wouldn't have had anyone on their desk at that time.

Going to pursue it and see what happens as I'd rather they pay than my insurance company.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Apologies, just annoyed by the run around that I am getting from Easyjet. I have just spoken to someone at Gatwick Airport who deals with lost luggage and apparently at the time I arrived I wouldn't have been able to report it to Easyjet anyway as they wouldn't have had anyone on their desk at that time.

Going to pursue it and see what happens as I'd rather they pay than my insurance company.

no problem, insurance companies frustrate us all, I just had a loss adjuster out to confirm they are not paying a penny for a fire started by faulty wiring, so I get your frustration.

At least your insurance company is paying but you'll get the run around from sleazyjet, best move on and let your wallet do the talking.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why would you tell them you didnt check them? You should have told them you checked them at the airport and no one was around to report it too!

I hadn't realised that they wouldn't have had anyone around at that point in the morning. I was only told this 10 minutes ago by a far more helpful (non-Easyjet person) who worked in a more general Gatwick department. Again, another lesson learnt!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always check my driver the min they come off the carousel for this very reason , some of the lads reckon im mad , but its a habit i got into

I do put my golf shoes either side of my driver and wrap my belt around them .. not much use to you now i know ..

You might be able to pick up a shaft on here easily enough if you know the type you had in it , start a thread on the wanted/ for sale section .. good bunch on here

Come on forumers rally round a member if you can here

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I always check my driver the min they come off the carousel for this very reason , some of the lads reckon im mad , but its a habit i got into

I do put my golf shoes either side of my driver and wrap my belt around them .. not much use to you now i know ..

You might be able to pick up a shaft on here easily enough if you know the type you had in it , start a thread on the wanted/ for sale section .. good bunch on here

insurance company will buy a brand new one:thup:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thank you for the sentiment bladeplayer! :)

Fortunately the insurance company have been good (and quick) about it as the shaft was a custom fit effort (Miyazaki Kusala Silver 61) so not as easy to just pick up.

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
We dont check our clubs at airport, so far nothing has happen with them. We have special travel suits and clubs is in carrybags. We should check of course. We have to learn that habit , to check. We travel now and then with our clubs and so far we havent had any problems, hope it will contuine like that...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I do put my golf shoes either side of my driver and wrap my belt around them.. not much use to you now i know ..

That is how I pack mine as well with my golf towel holding them together.

Never had a problem to date but will learn from someone else's misfortune and check as soon as they come off the baggage carousel in future.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just a quick update on this and it's good news. I went back to Easyjet and asked for an explanation of what I was meant to do at the airport given there would have been no one on their desks to report this damage to anyway. As it turns out the best I could have done was to report the issue the next day over the phone which is what I had done anyway.

They have accepted that and have offered to pay for the replacement shaft in full and I don't have to make a claim on my insurance! Obviously still a lesson learnt on mine side that when I next take clubs away I will be having a check as soon as they're off the plane.