PXG not working for me

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
Hi everyone iam new to the forum and was hoping for some feedback if at all possible.

so, I went for a custom fit used my clubs first data recorded. The fitter finally got me set up with Project IO x 60/110

problem is I can’t play with them at all they feel clunky and dead, cannot feel the shaft loading and iam fighting with them to hit a decent shot.

albeit I’ve only had them a week people say you have to give them time, but these clubs just don’t feel right to me.

my club head speed is 75mph Iam a good club shorter and the dispersion is all over the place. at the fitting they felt okay and I was getting a club more distance - so confusing.

spoken with PXG they will not refund as they are used and custom fitted, however they have offered a spec check.

Any thoughts, has anyone ever experienced the same or similar.

kind regards and happy golfing

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
A while back I collected my custom fitted Ping Irons and headed straight to the range. I shanked plenty and the others were awful. I felt like crying.

I went home, said nothing and came back the following day. All was good. No idea what had happened the previous day.

You didn't say how many tries you had... but at least thr spec check will be interesting. Hope you get it sorted.

Albo

Visit site
Sometimes we try too hard with new stuff, try and swing faster to press home the advantage we think our new bats will give us, it’s possible that you’re not using your old swing to some degree

Edit to say, have you still got your old clubs? Maybe worth taking your old 7i and new one to the range and hitting them side by side

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I reckon on taking about 3 months to get fully used to a new set of irons but would not expect extreme differences between a custom fit and first few times of using.

I am not surprised by the refusal to refund but would expect maybe a good trade in deal. This happened to my mate with some TMs and he got what amounted to £200 of the price of the replacement clubs.

One question I would have is

Is your typing correct should that be Project IO x 6.0/110

6.0 would be a stiff shaft and with a swing speed of just 75 MPH that does not equate in my mind

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Which irons and shaft did you have previously and which PXG iron have you got now?

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A week is nowhere near enough time to get used to new shafts and clubs. I'd give it a least a month or more.

Are the shafts heavier and stiffer than your previous?

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
Personally I reckon on taking about 3 months to get fully used to a new set of irons but would not expect extreme differences between a custom fit and first few times of using.

I am not surprised by the refusal to refund but would expect maybe a good trade in deal. This happened to my mate with some TMs and he got what amounted to £200 of the price of the replacement clubs.

One question I would have is

Is your typing correct should that be Project IO x 6.0/110

6.0 would be a stiff shaft and with a swing speed of just 75 MPH that does not equate in my mind

the shafts are exactly as you say so apologies….

my thoughts too, my swing speed is too low for stiff shafts I think this is where the problem may be.

I have been out with irons on several occasions now iam marginally better that the first outing, but not enough for me to belive patience will prevail as they just do not feel right at all, it seems very much hard work.

Response to Albo.

I went out yesterday I used both side by side, my 7 iron from my old set working fine and going longer which really frustrated me, as this was contrary to the fitting data.

iam hoping when I get the spec check and to note I will be going to a different fitting centre just so t.hat I can have some fresh eyes check my fit.

I have been playing golf for some 20plus year s and play to single figures so I would like to think I know what the feel should be and it’s just not right at all.

Thank you for the responses…

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
One thing I hadn’t mentioned. During the custom fit, the fitter said to me I think we will spec you up for clubs 1 inch longer that standard. My own clubs are standard length and iam average height, Since he didn’t have any clubs 1 inch longer for me to try at the fitting I thought it a little strange but went with it as he was PGG fitter. Not sure if this has any significanc. Would it be fair to challenge the custom fit on this point.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
lighter but certainly feel stiffer.
That does seem strange, senior flex to px60. I'd still give it a bit longer.
When I got my mp4, I went from s300 to ctaper120, which were much stiffer and less feel. I had to learn to be more aggressive with them and glad I stuck with it, def was a better iron striker with them over that period.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I hadn’t mentioned. During the custom fit, the fitter said to me I think we will spec you up for clubs 1 inch longer that standard. My own clubs are standard length and iam average height, Since he didn’t have any clubs 1 inch longer for me to try at the fitting I thought it a little strange but went with it as he was PGG fitter. Not sure if this has any significanc. Would it be fair to challenge the custom fit on this point.
Yes definitely Challenge it.
If you grip the club as you would normally with 1” longer shafts your going to present the heel of the club first.
so would expect the shots to go left.
but going down the shaft 1” can make the grip in your fingers thinner so left again.
putting 1” on a shaft is quite a lot, and a complete no no if you can’t try it out at the fitting as it can change the swing characteristics quite a bit.

so in effect you havnt been fitted for the clubs you have bought as you didn’t hit any at the fitting.
Thats quite poor imo.
good luck but most golf oems will sort it out if it’s their fault.

p.s. I was fitted for the IO 5.5 shaft at 79mph so 6.0 does seem very strange.
But it’s how you present the club that determines that and the weight of it.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The head design looks broadly similar, but it's weird the PXGS are shorter, as theyre 2° lower loft (28°) than the Pings (30°), which should mean they're longer.
Those shafts, as I said, are chalk and cheese, and agree with Jim8flog that it's worth asking them about it.
And the addition of an extra inch without an explanation is weird. Again, something to question with them.
Out of interest, at the fitting, what were the numbers like for your irons vs the PXGs?

sunshine

Visit site
problem is I can’t play with them at all they feel clunky and dead, cannot feel the shaft loading and iam fighting with them to hit a decent shot.

Yes definitely something wrong here, got to be the clubs’ fault, you should be on to PXG to sort you out.

I was an 18 handicapper slicing everything, but after I got fitted for new clubs I started drilling everything with a soft draw. Every shot out of the middle of the club face. Should get to scratch this year, then after that who knows.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to agree with Albo regarding trying too hard with new clubs.
When I was fitted for my titleist 3 wood I struggled to get it airborne, as I was anxious to see the flight. This was caused by me looking up and not focusing on my swing. It’s understandable as we are anxious to see the flight.
However being fitted for a club more upright than what you actually hit is strange.