PXG not working for me

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
My playing partner was custom fit for a PXG driver which was 2 degrees lower than his own driver. On course he couldn’t get the ball up anywhere near where he wanted it. He sent it back for a refund.
I tried that. They said they wouldn’t accept returns unless goods were faulty.

D

Deleted member 21445

This may not be popular but I think fitting in general for amateurs is overrated and a great way for the industry to get more £££ out of us..

robbeh32

Visit site
This may not be popular but I think fitting in general for amateurs is overrated and a great way for the industry to get more £££ out of us..
I agree. Unless you've got a really consistent swing and hitting well I feel like fitting is pointless for people fatting and thinning it and sometimes shanking it like me. Each time I play its different patterns of ball flight!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree. Unless you've got a really consistent swing and hitting well I feel like fitting is pointless for people fatting and thinning it and sometimes shanking it like me. Each time I play its different patterns of ball flight!

I'm inclined to agree, a pp of mine he was hitting his driver lovely. Think it was stiff shaft he said. We played a round the other week, 270 average 320 on two occasions (tracked on Garmin).. next day he goes gets fit for another driver comes away with extra stiff , we play next time.. don't get me wrong when he caught it went amazing but his misses were a lot worse

He also then after that round (first round with it) went and got it regripped "because they felt awful"

Said the fitter didn't get him to try that exact grip on that shaft

Seemed a waste of money , his old driver was just fine

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree, a pp of mine he was hitting his driver lovely. Think it was stiff shaft he said. We played a round the other week, 270 average 320 on two occasions (tracked on Garmin).. next day he goes gets fit for another driver comes away with extra stiff , we play next time.. don't get me wrong when he caught it went amazing but his misses were a lot worse

He also then after that round (first round with it) went and got it regripped "because they felt awful"

That's simply a poor fitter...which doesn't equate to fitting being a waste of time regardless of what Backsticks says.
What I will say is that of you're fairly average in height then standard length clubs will, most likely, be fine
But that's all you can take from that....
How fast do you swing it, how do you swing it fast..
Flex and weight are important, as your mate found out.
Driver heads have weighting positioned to reduce spin or raise it - how do you know which one you need.
Iron heads have weighting positioned to get the ball in the air or to keep it lower.
Lie angle makes a difference of 4 yards per degree - so that set you bought off ebay thats 3 up when you need 2 flat is making 20 yards difference in dispersion.
Spending hundreds on aftermarket shafts is, I feel, going too far but length, loft, lie, weight, flex - if you don't work out what you need you're making the game harder

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Sounds more like a fault with the player than the fitting 😀

robbeh32

Visit site
Sounds more like a fault with the player than the fitting 😀
Kind of the problem with fitting itself. You can never really blame the fitter or the new clubs if you were swinging good in a fitting. I feel its all bs to make money. Ive never performed any better with fitted clubs vs buying of the shelf.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Not wanting to derail the thread, but as it's been raised, I think fitting, or the success or validity of it is dependent on the requirement.
I can hand on heart say that the driver fitting I had with Precision Golf, without a doubt, absolutely worked for me. I've never been great with a driver and lessons have only helped so far. I've had a few drivers and it's always been the weakest part of my game.
The newly fitted driver has revolutionised my driving. I'm rarely three off the tee, or chipping out from trees or rough. I am convinced that for me, my swing and my requirements, it was money well spent.
Does it work for everyone: no.
Does it work for some: yes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's simply a poor fitter...which doesn't equate to fitting being a waste of time regardless of what Backsticks says.
What I will say is that of you're fairly average in height then standard length clubs will, most likely, be fine
Driver heads have weighting positioned to reduce spin or raise it - how do you know which one you need.
Iron heads have weighting positioned to get the ball in the air or to keep it lower.
Lie angle makes a difference of 4 yards per degree - so that set you bought off ebay thats 3 up when you need 2 flat is making 20 yards difference in dispersion.
Spending hundreds on aftermarket shafts is, I feel, going too far but length, loft, lie, weight, flex - if you don't work ou
Spending hundreds on aftermarket shafts is, I feel, going too far but length, loft, lie, weight, flex - if you don't work out what you need you're making the game harder

I understand that, however for most a basic fitting is all you need no? What shaft and if you need longer clubs , grip size

I'd say get to a certain level then an actual fitting makes sense

He even remarked in the fitting I was warmed up hitting my best now I hitting not the best all time, sounds like a fitting to maximize the dispersion on bad hits would be better than right your best ones gonna fly amazing

Another playing partner uses an f9, he used to be brilliant with his driver. He then decided to put it in distance mode with the weights rather than forgiving.. so now when he catches it yes it's brilliant but he was much better when just playing the more forgiving one. So much so he uses hyrbids and 3 wood now he lost all faith in it

Teebs

Visit site
My driver fitting lasted about 10 minutes and it's the strongest part of my game, 70% FIR and averaging just short of 250y with the driver.

Biggest issue with fittings is the consistency of strike / performance when you're there..

scott7772

Visit site
I tried that. They said they wouldn’t accept returns unless goods were faulty.
FYI.. I am a big PXG supporter... I have the bag, balls, clubs, etc..... I have played PXG for almost 10 years. I just received my PXG Gen 6 0311p irons. I have played with them twice and I have had similar experiences to you.... This is my third set... I had Gen 1's, Gen 2's, and now Gen 6's. My Gen 1's and 2's were both KBS $-taper 120. The Gen 6's are steelfiber I95. I am about 10 yards shorter with the Gen 6's and they feel clunky and heavy. I have an appt. for a spec check. Curious about the no refund policy... What happened to to 30 day money back guarantee.. no questions asked?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-08 144842.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-08 144842.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 9

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought my Gen 5 driver last September when they were £250 with (from memory) a ten week money back guarantee. I wasn't fitted, but I picked the nearest shaft to what I had in my existing driver and it went well from day one. Is it better than my previous driver? I would say marginally, and its helped thatI got the PXG at 1/2 inch shorter shaft and lower loft (9 degrees, rather than 10.5) which give me more consistency. Was it better value - of that I have little doubt. I would definitely recommend trying them when looking for new equipment.

rystaman

Visit site
Not wanting to derail the thread, but as it's been raised, I think fitting, or the success or validity of it is dependent on the requirement.
I can hand on heart say that the driver fitting I had with Precision Golf, without a doubt, absolutely worked for me. I've never been great with a driver and lessons have only helped so far. I've had a few drivers and it's always been the weakest part of my game.
The newly fitted driver has revolutionised my driving. I'm rarely three off the tee, or chipping out from trees or rough. I am convinced that for me, my swing and my requirements, it was money well spent.
Does it work for everyone: no.
Does it work for some: yes.
Just wondering on why you think this was?

Looking at your sig if you've got a G425 Max with a stiff shaft is it the particular shaft that helped? Did Precision Golf talk it through with you? Is it the shaft, the length, the lie?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've got the G425 SFT and that's what's making the difference. Fixed 23g weight in the heel helps the head to drop a little squarer on the downswing, which is my main problem: not always squaring the face at impact. They may have altered the swing weight a little too.
The Aldila NV Green 65g stiff was recommended as a stable shaft for me, to make the most of the head choice.
He said I could've played the MAX with the weight in the heel, but felt I'd maintain more benefit short-term with the SFT.
He asked why my Rogue had a 75g shaft in it and I said I'd done that to try and stop me getting ahead of the ball with my arms and it helped me feel the head. He said it wasn't a terrible idea, but I would struggle with swingspeed (true when tested) and the bad shots would still be bad.
Also, teeing it down is really helping me not slice the backside off it, but I can still carve it once in a while!