PXG not working for me

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Shaft flex is a real minefield
A mate of mine was playing with old Mazuno irons (reg flex) & went to get fitted for some Ping G425 irons.
When he told me he had ordered a set in stiff flex, I thought blimey that's a mistake, because he's a big guy with a slow swing speed.
But, when he got them, he played really well with them much to my surprise.
On the other hand, all my clubs are reg shafts, I got some Callaway Mavrik hybrids a while ago in a reg shaft & couldn't launch them at all.
They felt way too stiff for me & everything was going left & low.
I must say though, I've never heard of anyone going from a senior shaft to a stiff shaft.
I'm not surprised that you are struggling.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Example, when I swing my existing irons or woods for that matter, loading is when I feel the club head through impact.
One thing is did you get fitted for the senior shafts in your old clubs.
if not you might be adapting your swing to compensate for them.
so changing clubs will be a grind.
but still think the 1” longer is a problem.

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
One thing is did you get fitted for the senior shafts in your old clubs.
if not you might be adapting your swing to compensate for them.
so changing clubs will be a grind.
but still think the 1” longer is a problem.
To be honest I didn’t. been Out this afternoon for a couple of hours hit 3/4 swings with both clubs feel was better with the PXG with a shorter swing giving a bit more control, having said that my Pings flew so much better felt so much easier and went on avg 8 yards more. I will continue with the PXGs for a while.

regards

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How can you be fitted for a + 1 inch if you never hit them. Without hitting the + 1 inch you can’t then work out the perfect lie angle ect. It’s just guess work .
Seems like a really poor service if you ask me .

Yep, agree, with everything that the OP has said about the fitting/clubs/experience on course this is the most worrying. If I went for a fitting and the guy said I needed 1" longer/shorter I would expect to be able to test that against my standard length to see what the feel is like and what the numbers say. To just say it's required at the fitting but to not have the shafts there is pretty poor IMO.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
How can you be fitted for a + 1 inch if you never hit them. Without hitting the + 1 inch you can’t then work out the perfect lie angle ect. It’s just guess work .
Seems like a really poor service if you ask me .

Yes, I don't get that either.
That will throw the lie angle out & quite possibly cause you to de-loft your irons which will produce a lower flight, coupled with stiff shafts which will also produce a low flight unless your swing speed is sufficient to launch the ball properly.
I know from when I've been fitted, they used tape on the sole of the iron to determine lie angle & stats from the Trackman to determine launch angle / club speed / dispersion & carry.
From that data, it was quite easy to see the most suitable set-up for me.

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
It was an indoor fitting data taken from trackman.

I emailed PXG asking their thoughts on the shafts being ordered longer and this was the response. I also asked that as I had not swung a club that was longer at the fitting this now makes the characteristics of the longer shafts diffferent to the ones I used and that my thoughts were that this would qualify a full refund.

response from PXG:
During our fittings, the shaft lengths are calculated via the trackman data and also the ball strike. We will need you to attend the spec check that you are booked in for to have comparative data so we can see the amendments that need to be made to your clubs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I emailed PXG asking their thoughts on the shafts being ordered longer and this was the response. I also asked that as I had not swung a club that was longer at the fitting this now makes the characteristics of the longer shafts diffferent to the ones I used and that my thoughts were that this would qualify a full refund.

response from PXG:
During our fittings, the shaft lengths are calculated via the trackman data and also the ball strike. We will need you to attend the spec check that you are booked in for to have comparative data so we can see the amendments that need to be made to your clubs.
That’s standard practice to give them a chance to put it right.
but they should not have made this basic error in the first place.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

response from PXG:

Well that sounds promising, at least they’re prepared to review matters and not just fob you off

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PXG. I wouldn’t share names

OK I’d go back directly to the same person and explain the situation face to face. Ask if they can do another fitting just to test if things are all as expected.

If they fail to address the situation after being given the opportunity to do so you have more grounds to pursue a refund in my opinion.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In Lou Stagner's words in his latest podcast, fitting is a 'crap shoot', so this sort of think is probably liable to happen. At least PXG are prepared to roll the dice again and hope the customer is happy. They wont have a clue why though it seems.

Oh to be somoene

Visit site
its been a while so sorry about that,

Went back to PXG who carried out a spec check as promised. Sad to say they said the data from my fitting was correct and the extra stiff shafts were correct. Well… I wasn’t convinced as they were still hard to use and did not feel right.

was losing distance and ball was fading off to the right which isn’t my shot.

so, I thought time to bite the bullet as I had nothing to lose, I pulled the shafts and fitted my senior flex shafts onto the PXG irons and guess what they now feel great, hitting same shape as I had always did, also I can now whip the club head through the ball, as before.

Therefore, for my mind I have proved to myself that PXG gave me a poor fitting. Shame on them😡

Jason.H

Visit site
My playing partner was custom fit for a PXG driver which was 2 degrees lower than his own driver. On course he couldn’t get the ball up anywhere near where he wanted it. He sent it back for a refund.