How Efficient/Effective is the Commitee at your club?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
random post, but i've always been really impressed with my club and their forward thinking approach towards things and wondered how your club works - does the committee inhibit change?

heres an example -

On Saturday i played with the head green keeper (Scratch Handicapper), and we got talking about the fact more should be available to the low handicappers in way of competitions and incentives.

Sunday evening i posted on his Facebook wall that we could consider a Gross Order of Merit to run alongside our Nett one that is a popular event within the club. It gained a lot of interest from those that saw it with everyone thinking it was a good idea

Monday - there was a committee meeting, it was discussed, and approved.

Tuesday - we get contacted and informed that the club had retrospectively gone back and looked at results for 2017 to give an idea of who would have won etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Both clubs I'm a member of don't have committee's and I personally find that it works far better, there is no internal politics and no backside kissing.

Both clubs run extremely well and there is shed loads of work, investment at both plus numerous members competitions that are run and managed well.

It is good to hear that your club is forward thinking and open enough to embrace a good idea and introduce it straight away, golf clubs need to be more open and susceptible to good ideas and change.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
there is a very popular phrase used in the media a lot relating to court cases, i'm going to use it here in relation to ours.

No comment!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My current club - very good, work with management company well - always keep everyone updated.

Old club - utter joke. Think they run the club (it's Crown Golf so they don't). Website is a joke, minutes rarely published, competitions run badly, results take ages to appear. Tons of toadying and sorting their mates out - the hell with everyone else. Can't work out why I left.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a suggestion book and members are also free to send in letters.

We have 5 committees

Directors who are responsible for everything financial, legal and setting membership options.

Captains Committee responsible for all matters related to the course.

Handicap, Competitions and Golf Rules Sub committee reporting to the Captains Committee.

Ladies Committee

Seniors Committee

Both of the latter are responsible for arranging their own comps and matches and finances from and for those.

It all works very well but obviously with 800+ members you are not going to please everybody.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our course is proprietary meaning the committee is completely handicapped in what it can do, especially when you have the management we do, i did a couple of years on the committee but continually felt like i was bashing my head against a brick wall, someone elses headache these days

D

Deleted member 15344

As with most members clubs our committee will never please everyone. I have been on ours for 4 years now and can see first hand that any decision is made with the best intentions and for the good of the course and members. There have been some that I don’t agree with ( like closing the course for a weekend to host county champs ) but generally from my point of view we do a decent job for a bunch of unpaid volunteers.

On the Comp side overall the stuff I have changed or introduced seems to have gone down well from bringing in IG , changing all monthly medals and Stablefords to open to all , removing restrictions on juniors etc and reducing the amount of tee closures to let more social golf happen - would love to do more but it’s always hard.

I guess every club has the same sort of people - the people who always kick up a fuss and make the loudest noise are the ones who won’t stand for Committee and always people who forget that people kick up the own time to do it. I have certainly had flak for stuff - calls at stupid o clock at night or the morning , people who think they can approach you whilst playing etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The phrase that always makes me smile is when the loudmouths are asked why don't they go on the committee. They proudly exclaim "they wouldn't have me, I'd cause too much trouble". Try it go on. They are afraid as they are all hot air.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reason I never looked at a comittee at my old club is that they wanted to move the meetings to 3.00 so as the great and the good of the club could go straight after their invitation only roll up on a Wednesday afternoon.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've never agreed with the comment, "if you want to whinge about it, get yourself on committee." Every member is allowed to raise their concerns, loudly too, if they feel the need. And its a committee man's duty to listen to those concerns, no matter how unpalatable or ignorant the delivery is. Everyone wants the same thing, i.e. a well run, viable and efficient club.

The only time I refused to listen to member's concerns or complaints was when someone walked across two fairways for a 'chat,' just after I teed off at the start of the round. I must admit to biting a little bit on that one.

And my stock answer for the majority of the concerns/complaints, "put it in writing. I'm not giving you an off the cuff, knee jerk response now. Put it in writing, and we'll discuss it properly and you'll get a formal response. I'll then talk it through with you if you want."

D

Deleted member 1147

Last year I wrote to the competition committee members and asked for more competitions from the blue tournament tees.
This year we had one a month (for those that want to play off them, others can play off the normal white or yellow comp' tees)

So that was positive, whereas some things don't change when you'd want them too. Like most clubs I'd imagine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lets be honest, being on a committee is a thankless task and you cannot please everyone. It's usually the same voices with the same gripes but ask them for help and you don't see them for dust. All of the committees at my club do a reasonable job. There are things I don't agree with but ultimately they are driving the club forward and I'm happy with my lot there

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never agreed with the comment, "if you want to whinge about it, get yourself on committee." Every member is allowed to raise their concerns, loudly too, if they feel the need. And its a committee man's duty to listen to those concerns, no matter how unpalatable or ignorant the delivery is. Everyone wants the same thing, i.e. a well run, viable and efficient club.

The only time I refused to listen to member's concerns or complaints was when someone walked across two fairways for a 'chat,' just after I teed off at the start of the round. I must admit to biting a little bit on that one.

And my stock answer for the majority of the concerns/complaints, "put it in writing. I'm not giving you an off the cuff, knee jerk response now. Put it in writing, and we'll discuss it properly and you'll get a formal response. I'll then talk it through with you if you want."

This ^^^^^^^^ all day long, and was pretty much my take on the position when I served for 5 years

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our main committee only met once this year, so it's like swimming in treacle trying to get things passed by it. I got an e mail yesterday from the Seniors committe and it was discussed about the proposed changes to our third (The Alps - says it all actually) and about how they would like to offer their help and raise funds to get this project moving and completed over this winter. Oh how I laughed and laughed.