How come you can love something that frustrates you so much?

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No, I'm not talking about the missus, :) but the very sport that brings us together. Golf.

Having been a member at Bude golf club for roughly 18 months now, and having had a baby daughter in between, my scores have been as low as 85, and as high as, recently, 100. I got around to submitting three cards for my official handicap a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised to find they had given me 24 (to be honest, I thought it would be around the 21 mark).

So, with my new found handicap I hit the course this weekend with my regular playing partner.

First hole, bogey, not a bad start I thought as I was trying a new driver and a new ball (909 D2 and Srixon Z-Star). Second hole, par. Things were looking good. 3rd hole, which is a dogleg left, hit my drive to within 60 yards of the green (Things were looking very good), and then, 7 shots later, walked off the green with an 8. How did that happen!!?! :eek:

To cut a long story short, I birdied the next par 3, and parred the next par 4. Over five holes I had the chance to be gross par, and yet managed to be, somehow, 4 over. Ended up carding a 95, so it wasn't too bad in the end, but wow, how fortunes can change in the space of one hole.

I'll keep plodding on, trying to get back to below 90, and hopefully some lovely summer golf days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love Bude. I found it a real but fair test. You can certainly make a fast start on the first five holes back round towards the clubhouse but then it begins t show its teeth. A few opportunities around the middle of the back nine for a few pars but a tough few holes towards the end.

In answer to your question (which initially thought was aimed at my wife) it is the very essence of the game. The day you have this game licked is the day you die. It can never be truely tamed. The secret is to enjoy those fleeting days when you are soaring like an eagle and ignore the ones where you are floundering with the turkeys. There will be days where you play rubbish and then hit that one magical shot that brings you back for more. There will be days when you strike the ball solidly but won't score and others where you are not finding the sweetspot but are rattling up the pars or stableford points.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some days your putting is off but your long game and short game are on.
Other days your long game is off but your short game and putting are on.
Other days your short game is off but your long game and putting are on.
And on that rare day when there's not a cloud in the sky, God is in his heaven and its all on, HID takes you shopping and you miss it :(

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your spot on, Homer.

In fact, last week I was hitting my wedges so well from within 100 yards I was sure I'd at least par the 3rd!!! My wedge play on Saturday was abismal, but your right, I'm not one to let golf get me down. Onwards and upwards.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And on that rare day when there's not a cloud in the sky, God is in his heaven and its all on, HID takes you shopping and you miss it :(

Great words, Bob. :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

and then, there is that day when your putting is off, your long game is off and your short game is off, but you still come back the next day

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Redwood, i think we must be playing out our golfing lives in a parallel universe! I've also been playing 18 months and we've had a daughter in between which means that i can't spend as much time on the course as i'd like...

It's been a while since i had a really bad round, but after scoring a few low 90s, i then broke 90 with an 87 just before christmas. Since then it's been back to the high 90s. I have a 25 handicap, where as the guy i play with, who has never beaten me, was awarded a 21???

Hopefully i'll lower my handicap this summer and i'll love this frustrating game even more.

One minute you think you've got it all worked out, then all of a sudden it's biting you on the ass!

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Slugger, yes, it seems that way!! :)

My daughter is now nearly 7 months, so it's been a while since I was able to consistently get on the course (although the wife is starting to loosen the leash a bit now, and I probably play about once a week). My 85 was about this time last year, so it's been a while since I hit a good score...

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Great words, Bob. :D

And then just when we think we've cracked it, the golfing gods give us a kick up the rear end.