KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Pity about the weather!

Indeed!

And having just returned from Spain, I managed to survive the unbelievable strain of getting my passport out of my pocket with no lasting trauma.

Flight delays? None. Queues at immigration? Flew through the hall at Luton in about ten minutes. Baggage hall delays? Again, really quick. From hitting the tarmac at Luton to getting in my car was a total of about 45 minutes.

For that hardship I have spent a few days in glorious sunshine, met some warm hospitable people, eaten fantastic food at ludicrously cheap prices, and not set foot anywhere near a tacky tourist trap. Honestly, who would have thought that intelligent adults could venture outside the UK and actually think for themselves rather than following the hordes of great unwashed to some of the dreadful places at least one forumer seems to have been unlucky to find?

With that bad luck striking at least fifty times, too.

?

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed!

And having just returned from Spain, I managed to survive the unbelievable strain of getting my passport out of my pocket with no lasting trauma.

Flight delays? None. Queues at immigration? Flew through the hall at Luton in about ten minutes. Baggage hall delays? Again, really quick. From hitting the tarmac at Luton to getting in my car was a total of about 45 minutes.

For that hardship I have spent a few days in glorious sunshine, met some warm hospitable people, eaten fantastic food at ludicrously cheap prices, and not set foot anywhere a tacky tourist trap. Honestly, who would have thought that intelligent adults could venture outside the UK and actually think for themselves rather than following the hordes of great unwashed to some of the dreadful places at least one forumer seems to have been unlucky to find?

With that bad luck striking at least fifty times, too.

?

It's almost as if there is a single common denominator in all of these terrible experiences. Fifty different countries so it's not that. Different accommodation in each country so it's not that. Can't be the food as that's different as well. I'm really struggling to put my finger on the one thing that all of these fifty trips had in common apart from the person taking them.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pity about the weather!
The weather in Britain is generally very good.
I like the variable climate which allows for 4 distinct seasons. No 40C plus like you can get in southern Europe, Australia, North America...(you name it).

Living in so many countries it's likely to be the same every day. Thailand and Malaysia would be good examples.
Or how about the oppression of Hong Kong or the fear of Singapore.
I'm sure if you work in HK you'll love the five and a half day working week, with no holiday for more than a few days or you'll find someone else doing your job when you return.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...t-know-you-could-be-punished-for-in-singapore
Don't forget to buy the T shirt which reminds you that Singapore is a 'Fine City'.
You could end up in jail for what you'd just get a caution in Britain.

Holidays in exotic places are very different to living there.
I forget to mention what nasty bugs can get into your system from just drinking the water.
So make sure you buy it bottled.

BTW How much are you paying for health insurance abroad these days?
You could lose your house if you didn't insure.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
I like the variable climate which allows for 4 distinct seasons. No 40C plus like you can get in southern Europe, Australia, North America...(you name it).

Living in so many countries it's likely to be the same every day. Thailand and Malaysia would be good examples.
I'm sure if you work in HK you'll love the five and a half day working week, with no holiday for more than a few days or you'll find someone else doing your job when you return.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...t-know-you-could-be-punished-for-in-singapore
Don't forget to buy the T shirt which reminds you that Singapore is a 'Fine City'.

I forget to mention what nasty bugs can get into your system from just drinking the water.

Are you arguing against living abroad, or simply going on holiday?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You seem a happy chap. ?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

? By generally do you mean where you live? Where I live it rains about 250 days of the year and it's getting wetter due to climate change.
As for distinct seasons we only get one season. Wet. In the north of North America they really do have distinct seasons. Canada being a great example.

Billysboots

Visit site
? By generally do you mean where you live? Where I live it rains about 250 days of the year and it's getting wetter due to climate change.
As for distinct seasons we only get one season. Wet. In the north of North America they really do have distinct seasons. Canada being a great example.

Totally agree.

I remember speaking with the owner of a log cabin in Southern Georgia when I was on a fly-drive in the States many years ago, about life in this country. He said “So what sort of climate do you have in the UK?”. My answer? “We don’t have a climate. We just have weather.” He could not get his head around it.

This country doesn’t have a climate, never mind four distinct seasons. Ask a head greenkeeper at any golf club, who has been caught out for the umpteenth time again this year by the almost complete absence, yet again, of any sort of spring.

D

Deleted member 23270

Seriously, only 1 of those 12 offences is liable to catch anyone out and that is a $100 fine for a 2nd offence.

And I pay £12.50 a month for travel insurance and RAC cover through my bank, hardly a large amount of money.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seriously, only 1 of those 12 offences is liable to catch anyone out and that is a $100 fine for a 2nd offence.

I can relate to the 1st offence, the one before the other 12.
Changi Airport about 15 years ago.
Having been given a boarding pass I proceeded to the departure lounge, which was full so I waited a little way away.
All of a sudden surrounded by the armed military who demanded to see my pass. Terrifying.
Not as bad as other experiences. Some tourists were caught up in a shoot out at the airport in Papua NG, or the killings in Bali and Tunisia.

I did buy the T shirt, never wore it and is still in my drawer.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=singapore+fine+city&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=4VDfpwt5DZE5HM%2CBV9HkEuBSMlAhM%2C_%3BisrH0HUsQHl5TM%2C03D_mGOGAbBP3M%2C_%3BeFP8r2ojxicp-M%2CTUqxpNEmKT4F9M%2C_%3BpiYSto_Nwd37gM%2CoVrG2QPGIMVFgM%2C_%3BFXoYcSPDlEm7gM%2Cf0_7gp-kKE4yJM%2C_%3B_BvRfbk15pVzxM%2Cd9ZjzHZa15i02M%2C_%3BQW24piP1krdJiM%2CeRTYu_pdMMZqNM%2C_%3BYc45jVTI187aRM%2CdDs_QFJ4EDkIOM%2C_%3BoX_AJX53toeoqM%2CcPBH8n7uDRBF_M%2C_%3B3M5XRnqe9o4GmM%2C03D_mGOGAbBP3M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRQKcSn9gqjelYfjm7BzI1mFazJAQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBsf3Tk9D3AhXMiVwKHcEXAisQ9QF6BAgTEAE#imgrc=piYSto_Nwd37gM

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No holiday for us this year, Big birthday next year so planning Disneyland Paris with the kids in February, Portugal for a week in the school summer hols and then Vegas in September. Expensive year.

2024 my twins will be 4. I'm aiming to do 3 days in Disney with them around their birthday

Eldest will be 7 so perfect

They will start big school the week after so just would be lovely

Best check the overtime list lol

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not as bad as other experiences. Some tourists were caught up in a shoot out at the airport in Papua NG, or the killings in Bali and Tunisia.

Some tourists got caught up in the London tube bombings and in the Manchester Arena bombing. There were also probably tourists in London when the guy went mental with the knife. Not sure what point you're trying to make with that sentence. These things can happen anywhere including the UK.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
2024 my twins will be 4. I'm aiming to do 3 days in Disney with them around their birthday

Eldest will be 7 so perfect

They will start big school the week after so just would be lovely

Best check the overtime list lol

I priced Disney up for February half term, family of 4 came out at £1600 with flights and park tickets. Daughter will still be under 2 but not sure that makes a massive difference.
My wife turns 40 in 2025, so that'll be the big Florida one I think, school holidays means $$$$$

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I priced Disney up for February half term, family of 4 came out at £1600 with flights and park tickets. Daughter will still be under 2 but not sure that makes a massive difference.
My wife turns 40 in 2025, so that'll be the big Florida one I think, school holidays means $$$$$

I think the 2 is key as 3 and above they are charged full whack

Will have to just lump it as I want them to go and feel the magic

We went Florida when I was 10 Nd did 2 weeks out there but sod that lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@Bazzatron first choice free kid places are great, we got 1 with our holiday but when we added her parents the hotel I liked gave us 2 free kids if we put my eldest in with them

Don't get me wrong it's still same room configuration so she will sleep in our room but that was a total £2400 saving I think it was

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think carefully about going to Florida too early. The parks there are big, the days long and full of little kids crying through tiredness as the day goes on. Paris you can do from young but I'd look at aged 8 minimum for Florida. I think our youngest was 12 when we went and I'm pleased she was that old and able to cope. It made the holiday much better, less stress.

It's fabulous by the way, everything you would hope, but it can be tiring.

Billysboots

Visit site
Think carefully about going to Florida too early. The parks there are big, the days long and full of little kids crying through tiredness as the day goes on. Paris you can do from young but I'd look at aged 8 minimum for Florida. I think our youngest was 12 when we went and I'm pleased she was that old and able to cope. It made the holiday much better, less stress.

It's fabulous by the way, everything you would hope, but it can be tiring.

Agreed. The other thing to really bear in mind is how tall your kids are. We’ve been twice, the first time when my youngest was 8, and there were a lot of rides she was prevented from going on as she wasn’t tall enough.

They are very strict at the Orlando parks. What they might turn a blind eye to height wise at Alton Towers or similar UK parks, they won’t let go in the States.