Holidays in the UK 2022

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally I prefer to stay in this country. Less aggravation and I like the familiarity as well as the diversity on offer. The best holidays I've had have been in Britain, but that's just me.
It's slightly unfair to call it Rip off Britain though. Its just much more expensive to live in this country. That's the cost of a supposed higher standard of living.

Standard? It's questionable but holidays here are ok

It's because cost of living is so high they have to charge higher, and it gives them a disadvantage

Abroad jump on a plane. In a taxi then everything is just there most of time cheaply ..

Not always better but better value and better weather

D

Deleted member 3432

We have stayed in the same Cottage in the Scottish Highlands the last 6 years.

Fantastic value and the owner has not put his prices up during covid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Mrs Imurg awaiting surgery so, as we're unable to plan anything until it's done, it could be another proper Staycation...for the 3rd year running.
Hey ho....

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I booked early and managed to snag a cottage in Devon in July for 7 night. 3 beds with a heated pool for just under £1,200 didn't feel too bad given the rising costs.
I expect we'll end up cooking most meals at the cottage as eating out has got very expensive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that isn’t cheaper and is a lot worse value for money abroad is golf.

Tourists are fair game tho

One of my bosses lives in Ireland , he is a member of a course for something like 400 euros

Price for the day ticket 100 euros .. the yanks just pay it apparently

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have been to Cavtat a couple of times. Depending on where you are, get the water boat / bus there and back. It's a chilled way to travel. I'd highly recommend an evening there, lovely marina front restaurants, gentle atmosphere. A really lovely place. A coach trip to Mostar is also well worth it. It's a full day but fascinating. We loved that area, would happily go again.

We had a week in a villa in Cavtat a few years ago. Absolutely loved the place. Dubrovnik was lovely, but heaving with tourists.

The following year we had a week in Kotor (Montenegro) followed by a few days in Cavtat. Kotor was stunning, the people were great, not a great deal of English spoken. It was nice going back to Cavtat, but it did seem busy and commercial after Kotor. I loved Cavtat, but if I had to make the choice, I'd go back to Kotor.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a week in a villa in Cavtat a few years ago. Absolutely loved the place. Dubrovnik was lovely, but heaving with tourists.

The following year we had a week in Kotor (Montenegro) followed by a few days in Cavtat. Kotor was stunning, the people were great, not a great deal of English spoken. It was nice going back to Cavtat, but it did seem busy and commercial after Kotor. I loved Cavtat, but if I had to make the choice, I'd go back to Kotor.
Interesting. I would not think to look in Montenegro. I'll log that one away for future ?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find UK holidays always cost more in terms of spending money. If we go abroad, days are spent (usually) by the pool so no cost. In the UK, we will visit places and attractions so the costs soon mount up. That said, don't know if I want to brave the airport queues at the moment - heard lots of horror stories about the amount of time people are taking to get through security, etc.
No issues at Gatwick on Tuesday when we flew out.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We have been to Cavtat a couple of times. Depending on where you are, get the water boat / bus there and back. It's a chilled way to travel. I'd highly recommend an evening there, lovely marina front restaurants, gentle atmosphere. A really lovely place. A coach trip to Mostar is also well worth it. It's a full day but fascinating. We loved that area, would happily go again.

After 2-3 years of staying in the UK, thanks covid, my wife would have divorced me had I suggested the UK this year. It's Italy for us this summer, Lake Garda. I'd agree with @Billysboots , there has been some major profiteering from UK locations meaning that the difference is pretty small and the UK can not compare weather wise. It might be good, it might not. Summer is the med or Adriatic areas are guaranteed. Hopefully the UK will re-balance and prices come back in range again in future years. I suspect we are more likely to do weekends away in the UK rather than weeks though.

We’re actually nearer to Cavtat than Dubrovnik, LT, so will do the water taxi in reverse! I love Croatia - been a couple of times to Korcula, so have taken in Dubrovnik on previous trips. Can’t wait to go back.

Did you make it to Kotor, as that’s been highly recommended to me?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We usually do one holiday in the UK and one abroad every year. Never feel as refreshed or that I’ve had full value from a UK holiday.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We usually do one holiday in the UK and one abroad every year. Never feel as refreshed or that I’ve had full value from a UK holiday.

One thing that needs to be made clear a holiday in the Uk is NOT a staycation

Too many people refer to as that

It's a holiday

A staycation is staying at home and doing outings and having meals out instead

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
One thing that needs to be made clear a holiday in the Uk is NOT a staycation

Too many people refer to as that

It's a holiday

A staycation is staying at home and doing outings and having meals out instead
Or staying in the country you live in!