Help with planning Scotland trip

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m planning a golf trip to Scotland in May / June.

Would be good to get some thoughts on a 3 / 4 night itinerary.

I would want to play a bit of a mixture of courses, something like 1 x open rota (Carnoustie maybe? Although noting some likely open based restrictions at that time) and then a few cheaper but great courses (Gullane no 2 and 3 on a day ticket appears to be good value).

The obvious area to stay is St Andrews, but East Lothian looks incredible too.

Is St. Andrews the place to go and base ourselves even if we don’t play the old course?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would recommend basing yourself in one area and then keeping travelling to a minimum.

I organised my first Scottish trip a couple of years ago. It was fantastic. I wrote it up on a thread, I'm sure you can find it if you look.

We stayed in North Berwick and played nb, gullane and Dunbar. Could have stayed another week and not played the same course twice.

This year we are doing the southern fife coast.

Looked at carnoustie, but seems better to wait till next year. They do a great 3 course deal.

I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice from the locals here.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Pendodave.

I think St Andrews is a good starting point for me (having not played golf there before).

An additional question I just thought of, is it possible to find places to play at the weekend? Or would the trip need to be weekdays only?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m playing a comp at Carnoustie on 9th June and they are warning that some course protection measures will be in place.

I played Troon the May before the open was there a couple of years ago and parts of some fairways were roped off, mats were in use in some areas and the greens were being prepped to peak for the open so weren’t great.

So you might’ve be better waiting for another time for Carnoustie.

You can’t go wrong with either St. Andrews or East Lothian though, plenty of good courses in each area.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
St Andrews does a really good 3 day ticket. It's on their website somewhere. You can effectively play from dawn to dusk!

Pretty certain you can book all the tee times in advance including weekends. Probably better luck there than at a members' club.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m playing a comp at Carnoustie on 9th June and they are warning that some course protection measures will be in place.

I played Troon the May before the open was there a couple of years ago and parts of some fairways were roped off, mats were in use in some areas and the greens were being prepped to peak for the open so weren’t great.

So you might’ve be better waiting for another time for Carnoustie.

You can’t go wrong with either St. Andrews or East Lothian though, plenty of good courses in each area.

Thanks FairwayDodger - as we'd be relying on the ballot for the old course, I presume St Andrews is well worth it even if you don't get on?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate to hijack a thread but if you're going as a single on the Old Course ballot how long would you need to stay in St Andrews in August to get on do you think?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate to hijack a thread but if you're going as a single on the Old Course ballot how long would you need to stay in St Andrews in August to get on do you think?

It's never as bad as people fear it to be. Couple of days as a single, three days is pretty much a certainty. Just keep in mind Saturdays are always busier and the course has occasional closures according to the busy dates which are all listed here: https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's never as bad as people fear it to be. Couple of days as a single, three days is pretty much a certainty. Just keep in mind Saturdays are always busier and the course has occasional closures according to the busy dates which are all listed here: https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates

Nice one - I see from your Avatar you've had the pleasure! Really looking forward to it, will probably go midweek in August and like you say 3 nights in town should see me right. Some folk say turning up in the afternoon can actually work but I kinda reckon I'll be one of the dozens of singles standing around the hut at first light!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nice one - I see from your Avatar you've had the pleasure! Really looking forward to it, will probably go midweek in August and like you say 3 nights in town should see me right. Some folk say turning up in the afternoon can actually work but I kinda reckon I'll be one of the dozens of singles standing around the hut at first light!

If you go in August then check the dates of the Eden/Strathtyrum competitions as they run for a full week and the Eden, New and Jubilee courses will be busy. Accommodation will also book up very quickly.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Thanks FairwayDodger - as we'd be relying on the ballot for the old course, I presume St Andrews is well worth it even if you don't get on?

I got 2 of us onto the ballot very easily in August. The details are on their website but basically ring them 48 hours(?) before. Tell them if you have any specific requirements, e.g. no trollies before 11am and there's no way I couldn't get round without a trolley. We booked caddies too - worth every penny and more. They do save you a few shots but its also their knowledge of the history and the stories they share.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great - thank you.

I'm leaning towards going for St Andrews, (Thursday to Sunday) with a 3 day advanced booking ticket. We'd try the old course ballot too, and then if not sucessful play another course - there are plenty to choose from afterall!

I'm still tempted to play Carnoustie, but that would reduce the chances of getting the Old Course (one less ballot day), and would ramp up the cost. Could be as much as £250 for the 3 day pass, £180 for the old course and £200 for Carnoustie if we got through the ballot! Not sure how we'd get value for money out of the 3 day pass if that were to happen....

Hmmm....decisions, decisions.

Or.....thinking out loud a bit here....

Early flight to Edinburgh and Gullane 2 and 3 for £68 on the Thursday, 3 days St Andrews (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you go in August then check the dates of the Eden/Strathtyrum competitions as they run for a full week and the Eden, New and Jubilee courses will be busy. Accommodation will also book up very quickly.

Nice tip - thanks d4s!

Looks like week 13-18 is out :thup:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great - thank you.

I'm leaning towards going for St Andrews, (Thursday to Sunday) with a 3 day advanced booking ticket. We'd try the old course ballot too, and then if not sucessful play another course - there are plenty to choose from afterall!

I'm still tempted to play Carnoustie, but that would reduce the chances of getting the Old Course (one less ballot day), and would ramp up the cost. Could be as much as £250 for the 3 day pass, £180 for the old course and £200 for Carnoustie if we got through the ballot! Not sure how we'd get value for money out of the 3 day pass if that were to happen....

Hmmm....decisions, decisions.

Or.....thinking out loud a bit here....

Early flight to Edinburgh and Gullane 2 and 3 for £68 on the Thursday, 3 days St Andrews (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Just be aware that the Old Course is always closed on Sundays.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or take advantage of Links with History and play Crail,Lundin Links,Ladybank and Scotscraig some cracking golf to be had there all within a short drive of St Andrews
www.linkswithhistory.com

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've said this before to some considerable criticism but you'll be disappointed in the Old Course. Great going down 1 and up 17/18 but you'll be thinking it's not all that but if it's a box to tick then ye go for it. The medal at Carnoustie won't leave you disappointed.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've said this before to some considerable criticism but you'll be disappointed in the Old Course. Great going down 1 and up 17/18 but you'll be thinking it's not all that but if it's a box to tick then ye go for it. The medal at Carnoustie won't leave you disappointed.

I have never met or spoken to a single golfer that has been disappointed with TOC after playing it for the 1st time.