Have you ever played with a known handicap cheat?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a funny one coming up this weekend. Me and a couple of mates have entered a comp this Sunday, another lad has joined our group who we don’t know, his handicap on the club system is -0.4 ?
We asked about in the club and someone said he’s a member at another course (forum member also a member there iirc) and has also joined our place for some reason. He was saying the lad was banned by England Golf for “handicap issues” although we didn’t really get to the bottom of that, he also said he’s more a 10 handicapper rather than scratch.
Quite looking forward to it now, I’ll report back on Sunday evening ?

D

Deleted member 25172

We’ve got a 3 handicapper at our club who’s handed in 5 cards in total since 2020. He’s playing about 3 times per week.

Pride of having a low handicap. Don’t understand it. I find it more embarrassing when you can’t play anywhere near to it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A well known one around here, guy used to clean up in walk ons, claimed a course record and a scratch handicap. Got drawn with him twice in comps and neither time did he break 90.loved being Billy big balls, a few courses banned him from entering their comps.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Low handicap can help you get into scratch opens and more desirable venues, considered for team golf etc.

Loads of guys are doing it, there is one I know of who is putting in supplementary cards every time he plays well and is cheating the system. All so he can get selected in the team. Yet he's never shot better than +6 in a comp.

D

Deleted member 15344

Interesting
If it was the other way round then cause for concern, but a vanity handicap is a waste of time and just makes him look silly

A lot do it to enable entry into events that are balloted out

For someone to get that low means a lot of scorecards around scratch - someone would have enabled those scores to go in

Even harder to do now with WHS - used to be easy to keep a low handicap on the old system

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Low handicap can help you get into scratch opens and more desirable venues, considered for team golf etc.

Loads of guys are doing it, there is one I know of who is putting in supplementary cards every time he plays well and is cheating the system. All so he can get selected in the team. Yet he's never shot better than +6 in a comp.
Do they then not look ridiculous when the scores go in? I'd feel embarrassed, or do they simply not care?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played in a national comp a few years ago where someone questioned someone's 8 h/cap.
His club was contacted and sure enough the guy was off 8, although he'd only been a member a few months.
The first guy swore he was off 2 the previous year.
He won the comp with 42 pts

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Soon to play against 2 in pairs matchplay..

Both guys HI's are above 20 - no cards in the system for over 12 months and yet both shot in the 70's in their last match against two people I know well and trust.... We're going to get battered

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm embarrassed that I can't play to my 10 Hcap at the moment.

But yeh, we have someone who is 'gaming' the system to achieve a hcap for a particular reason. It's a bit daft, as they'll just get found out in due course.