Hardest course you have ever played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No we haven't , Played all over Florida LPGA hills is a gem , Southern Dunes is my fav , Redtail , OCN both fantastic. Disney trio awesome.

Could you recommend any you have played that we may of missed as going on two week hol with the lads 10th Nov 17 can't wait.

Dont mind traveling for a quality course.

Thanks in advance.
Billy.

I am going in 2 weeks for a family holiday. Clubs also making the journey

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Carnoustie; played it the Friday after Paul Lawrie won the Open, rough & stands still up. gave me a new appreciation of just how good these guys are. Bethpage Black was something else as well.

D

Deleted member 16999

Has too be Royal Troon in any sort of wind.

Back 9 is absolutely brutal, more so than Carnoustie. It's a brilliant test of golf that really chews you up and spits you out!
^^This^^

The Fader

Visit site
Have you played Grand Cypress? It’s really good, North and East being the best out of 9’s with the East being the best challenge IMO. I tend to favour Grand Cypress over OCN.

Love Southern Dunes, one of my favourites anywhere never mind Florida.

Played Champions Gate Golf and County Club again this year (not to be confused with the other Champions gate resort). A new course not a year or 2 old but really worth playing.

Then if you have the desire to travel 80 or so miles and have the wonga required, Streamsong resort is amongst the best in the state.

Beat me too it with Grand Cypress but OCN tops it (just!) for me. The Grand Cypress Links course ain't too shabby either!

Again, i agree with the new Championsgate Country Club. Played it in May for the first time and its way better than the 2 Greg Norman courses that carry the same name.

But if you can get to World Woods - go! There's nothing but golf - no clubhouse or facilities other than a small pro shop and cafe. At first you can't believe the area lends itself to top quality golf. You seem to be in the middle of nowhere. First sign is about 400 yards from entrance. Then you turn in and it opens into golfing heaven. 2 course side by side but completely different. Both Fazio design. They (the owners) suggest more than a passing resemblence to Pine Valley and Augusta - which may be stretching a point - but at $94 for 36 holes on Monday to Thursday during November - I honestly believe you will not find better value. Always busy, so I suggest you get in touch now and make your reservations!!

I also like:
The Club at Eaglebrook - stunning 18th hole
Bella Collina - Faldo design
Rio Pinar - traditional old country club - seen better days but a bit quirky
Royal St. Cloud - 27 hole links - no airs and graces but really enjoyed it
Tranquilo - very pricy and golf course not quite up the standard of the facilities. Played it on an all day deal. Wouldn't play at rack rate
Southern Dunes - if you don't like SD there's something wrong with you
Providence - cheap and cheery. Good warm up course
Celebration - my 2 sons loved it
Timacuan
Harmony Golf Preserve
Legends at Clermont - great layout - but check conditions (can be a bit mixed)

Courses to avoid (imo):
Ridgewood Lakes
Any of the Orange Lake Courses
Lake Wales
Willowbrook
Hunters Creek

Hope this helps - I'm very jealous of your impending trip!!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Beat me too it with Grand Cypress but OCN tops it (just!) for me. The Grand Cypress Links course ain't too shabby either!

Again, i agree with the new Championsgate Country Club. Played it in May for the first time and its way better than the 2 Greg Norman courses that carry the same name.

But if you can get to World Woods - go! There's nothing but golf - no clubhouse or facilities other than a small pro shop and cafe. At first you can't believe the area lends itself to top quality golf. You seem to be in the middle of nowhere. First sign is about 400 yards from entrance. Then you turn in and it opens into golfing heaven. 2 course side by side but completely different. Both Fazio design. They (the owners) suggest more than a passing resemblence to Pine Valley and Augusta - which may be stretching a point - but at $94 for 36 holes on Monday to Thursday during November - I honestly believe you will not find better value. Always busy, so I suggest you get in touch now and make your reservations!!

I also like:
The Club at Eaglebrook - stunning 18th hole
Bella Collina - Faldo design
Rio Pinar - traditional old country club - seen better days but a bit quirky
Royal St. Cloud - 27 hole links - no airs and graces but really enjoyed it
Tranquilo - very pricy and golf course not quite up the standard of the facilities. Played it on an all day deal. Wouldn't play at rack rate
Southern Dunes - if you don't like SD there's something wrong with you
Providence - cheap and cheery. Good warm up course
Celebration - my 2 sons loved it
Timacuan
Harmony Golf Preserve
Legends at Clermont - great layout - but check conditions (can be a bit mixed)

Courses to avoid (imo):
Ridgewood Lakes
Any of the Orange Lake Courses
Lake Wales
Willowbrook
Hunters Creek

Hope this helps - I'm very jealous of your impending trip!!

Providence and Celebration also firm favourites

Wasn’t impressed with Grand Cypress take on TOC Links, greens were a bit quirky for my liking

Metro West is worth a visit too and normally good deals on golfnow

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Providence and Celebration also firm favourites

Wasn’t impressed with Grand Cypress take on TOC Links, greens were a bit quirky for my liking

Metro West is worth a visit too and normally good deals on golfnow
played all these we have been going for thirty years.
Last year played 21 rounds in 11 days absolutely knackered .
Will defo try World Woods seen it on golf now.com

Bella Collina best clubhouse I have ever seen . But course never got a level lie all day, nice though.

Try LPGA Hills course up Daytona way it's fantastic.

Thanks for your help.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Valderrama as tough as any course ive ever played, carnoustie in a gale a close second

not sure id classify st mellion as one of the toughest, unfairest definitely

D

Deleted member 1418

Royal Cinque Ports this year on the Kent meet was the toughest day I've ever had on a golf course - the weather conditions made it absolutely brutal; so much so that the tea and snickers bar I had in the half-way hut would rank as one of the most welcome 'meals' I've ever had (and I've had a few.......!!!! ;) :D :D)

Perversely though it was also one of the most fun.........the golf that is not the tea and Snickers!!

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Royal Cinque Ports this year on the Kent meet was the toughest day I've ever had on a golf course - the weather conditions made it absolutely brutal; so much so that the tea and snickers bar I had in the half-way hut would rank as one of the most welcome 'meals' I've ever had (and I've had a few.......!!!! ;) :D :D)

Perversely though it was also one of the most fun.........the golf that is not the tea and Snickers!!

Could not agree more. If that was a monthly medal at home, I would have stayed in bed. The surroundings and the great company somehow made it fun and as pieman said in a perverse way

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dawlish Warren. The rough was ridiculous, 3-4 ft and no 1st/2nd cut. If your ball went 6 inches off the fairway it was lost. It got to the point it wasn't an enjoyable round, which is a shame as it could be a decent course.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Carnoustie off the tips, Machrahanish Dunes off the whites, Vale of Glamorgan this year when it was blowing a hoolie and I left my game on the other side of the Severn.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
St.Mellion
I don't think it gets too much harder, does it?! :mad:

(Excepting the exaggerated impact the weather has on links)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Carnoustie off the tips, Machrahanish Dunes off the whites, Vale of Glamorgan this year when it was blowing a hoolie and I left my game on the other side of the Severn.

You should have tried Mach Dunes in their Black Tee Open this year. It was absolutely brutal.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lahinch last Friday driving rain and a strong wind ,the front 9 was tough a lot of blind shots ,aim on grass paths was a good shout from the starter, a very tough course.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Valderrama as tough as any course ive ever played, carnoustie in a gale a close second

not sure id classify st mellion as one of the toughest, unfairest definitely
What’s unfair about it? Hit good shots, get rewarded, Hit bad shots get punished...