Toughest course?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve only ever walked off one course feeling beat up, and it was Hoylake...and because it was ridiculously windy. The course itself was...meh.

Aside from that, I can’t think of many that I would say are seriously brutal. As with most, weather and conditions will play a bigger part on the day...as well as how you are swinging it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Toughest I've played were Carnoustie as set up for the 1999 Open (Carnastie as it was christened), Royal St. George's off the backs that long ago I was using persimmon woods (some on here will need to Google that :) ) and Bethpage Black in a US Open year. They all helped to rid me of any remaining delusions that I was any good at this game.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A few that I have found absolutely brutal, some depending on the wind others just in general!

Southerness
Royal Lytham
Carnoustie

If you were saying hardest fairways to hit, thought you would venture Nairn.

If you were saying best course for hitting greens from 3 fairways away, it would also be Nairn.(y);):)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You always know what to expect at St Mellion but is it just me or does it all become a little soul sapping by about the 14th even if you feel you're playing well. CHances are you'll still have lost at least one ball and if the game isn't there it can be a real grind before beer o'clock comes round

St. Mellion is tough, but I think someone on a good day could still score quite well though.

I went in an open when on hols down there and finished 2nd. 40 in the field and 36 points won it, though.

The barsteward was in my group as well, and he stuck his approaches on 17 and 18 both to 18 inches to birdie both and pip me by 1 point.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I played Rye with a fair bit of wind and it was brutal. They say the hardest shot at Rye is your second on the par 3's and it's true :cautious:

Rye just needs a bit of practice - like the member who played 100 holes in a day! It's tough enough when it's dead calm, but 'brutal' is the correct word in anything more than gentle!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plus 1 for Southerness... just relentless.... I also find West Lancs a tough track. Played it 3 times (one was a forum meet in minus 3 weather wind and rain - I thought it was horrific and the somebody played in a t shirt and scarf 😂🙈😂🙈).
The other 2 were better conditions, but the rough was up and it was miss a fairway and reload. Was 5hours!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plus 1 for Southerness... just relentless.... I also find West Lancs a tough track. Played it 3 times (one was a forum meet in minus 3 weather wind and rain - I thought it was horrific and the somebody played in a t shirt and scarf 😂🙈😂🙈).
The other 2 were better conditions, but the rough was up and it was miss a fairway and reload. Was 5hours!

Oy. I resemble that remark!!!!
In all fairness, it was 5 degrees warmer 30 miles inland. And I paid for that mistake on the very first tee!!

And I agree, West Lancs is a very challenging course, but after hating it at first, it's now in my top 10. A real test off the back tees and one of the best collection of par 3's in the U.K.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oy. I resemble that remark!!!!
In all fairness, it was 5 degrees warmer 30 miles inland. And I paid for that mistake on the very first tee!!

And I agree, West Lancs is a very challenging course, but after hating it at first, it's now in my top 10. A real test off the back tees and one of the best collection of par 3's in the U.K.

Yep, love West Lancs.

Wasnt mad on Southerness though and can only remember 2 holes on it. The par 3 that was driver, and the hole that dog-legged to the sea with the sea behind it.

I'd play it again if in the area to see if I "got it" next time, but apart from the beauty of the surronding hills and sea, didnt float my boat. I'd rather try Powfoot, which has generally been talked about as less of a course, but one I havent played.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep, love West Lancs.

Wasnt mad on Southerness though and can only rmember 2 holes on it. The par 3 that was driver, and the hole that dog-legged to the sea with the sea behind it.

I'd play it again if in the area to see if I "got it" next time, but apart from the beauty of the surronding hills and sea, didnt float my boat. I'd rather try Powfoot, which has generally been talked about as less of a course, but one I havent played.

Powfoot isn't even close to being half the course Southerness is. Not even close.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Powfoot isn't even close to being half the course Southerness is. Not even close.

You may be right, as Ive said havent played Powfoot and most if not all have always said that Southerness is better.

Southerness isnt "great" for me, so would rather play somewhere else if in the area, as first choice.

D

Deleted member 3432

You may be right, as Ive said havent played Powfoot and most if not all have always said that Southerness is better.

Southerness isnt "great" for me, so would rather play somewhere else if in the area, as first choice.

Problem with Powfoot is the last 4 or 5 holes are more parkland than links.

D

Deleted member 17920

Yep, love West Lancs.

Wasnt mad on Southerness though and can only remember 2 holes on it. The par 3 that was driver, and the hole that dog-legged to the sea with the sea behind it.

I was probably like you after the initial visit when we all got blown to pieces.

I played it again the day after Turnberry and got it straight away, all the group thought it was better than Silloth apart from me. It really is a decent golf course and it’s all laid out in front of you, not many blind shots. It’s a good track and it’s tough but for me I would rather play Silloth every day of the week and I find Silloth a tougher course.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Powfoot is a good course but nowhere as tough as Southerness, Powfoot maybe a bit better looking course but that’s it.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, love West Lancs.

That’s cos we had our heads down driving through the wind as we were walking!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, love West Lancs.

1st time I played Southerness I loved it. Gorse in bloom all framing the holes and making it feel v tough off most tees given the amount of 400yrd + par 4s. Mint nick and real quick, having to think everything through, every shot feeling risky.
Totally different feel about it when we played it..based on that day I wouldn’t of overly rated it either.
Give it another go mate, it’s worth it 👍

Last edited: