Hardest course you have ever played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The El Campion course at Mission Inn in Florida.

Of the back tees it's brutal , it's long , tree lined ,water but mostly what you don't normally get in Florida it's hilly.
You have to move the ball both ways off the tee and the greens usually run at 12.5 on the stimpmeter.

We go back every year because it's in my top ten courses I have played , beats me up every time but what a golf course.
If you are ever in Orlando it's not to far away up US 27.

The Fader

Visit site
The El Campion course at Mission Inn in Florida.

Of the back tees it's brutal , it's long , tree lined ,water but mostly what you don't normally get in Florida it's hilly.
You have to move the ball both ways off the tee and the greens usually run at 12.5 on the stimpmeter.

We go back every year because it's in my top ten courses I have played , beats me up every time but what a golf course.
If you are ever in Orlando it's not to far away up US 27.

Absolutely agree CC98 - El Campion is a great course.

Have you tried World Woods? Bit of a trek from Orlando but for 2 Tom Fazio designed courses that you can play for relative peanuts it is worth the trip

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strange to hear Carnoustie mentioned. I found it quite playable. West Lancs on the other hand is a brutal test of golf. As is Southernnes. 40mph cross winds and rock hard greens are never a good combo.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strange to hear Carnoustie mentioned. I found it quite playable. West Lancs on the other hand is a brutal test of golf. As is Southernnes. 40mph cross winds and rock hard greens are never a good combo.

Just a great course, tough but fair. I always think I should be able to make a score but find that the bad shots get punished round there and once out of position you’re in trouble. I’ll keep trying though!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a close call between Southerness and Royal Lytham.

That day at Southerness was brutal. The course is probably not that hard , but in those winds it was brutal. Blatting drivers and 3w's into par 3's is never fun.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

The twice I've played Carnoustie I played well and found it very scoreable, both times were after high level comps and the course supposedly set up hard. But like anywhere playing from the middle of the fairway on each holes is always going to help.

I found Trump Aberdeen Hard... not off the tee despite playing off the back tee's and having to hit a lot of club for 2nd shots on a few, it was the greens that flummoxed me and never had so many birdie puts get no where near going in or end up stone dead due to the grain on the greens

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has too be Royal Troon in any sort of wind.

Back 9 is absolutely brutal, more so than Carnoustie. It's a brilliant test of golf that really chews you up and spits you out!

Totally agree with this, but then I play Carnoustie fairly regularly so perhaps I have an advantage. Also, as Patrick says, Trump is a really tough test of golf, especially as it hadn't been mapped by SkyCaddie when I first played it.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Royal County Down for me off the backs in a Fire Service National Comp in the long ago days when I was a reasonable golfer.
And West Lancs on a bright but windy day in the Liverpool Alliance again playing off a much lower handicap and many years younger.
Nowadays Warrington is the hardest I now play!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely agree CC98 - El Campion is a great course.

Have you tried World Woods? Bit of a trek from Orlando but for 2 Tom Fazio designed courses that you can play for relative peanuts it is worth the trip
No we haven't , Played all over Florida LPGA hills is a gem , Southern Dunes is my fav , Redtail , OCN both fantastic. Disney trio awesome.

Could you recommend any you have played that we may of missed as going on two week hol with the lads 10th Nov 17 can't wait.

Dont mind traveling for a quality course.

Thanks in advance.
Billy.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No we haven't , Played all over Florida LPGA hills is a gem , Southern Dunes is my fav , Redtail , OCN both fantastic. Disney trio awesome.

Could you recommend any you have played that we may of missed as going on two week hol with the lads 10th Nov 17 can't wait.

Dont mind traveling for a quality course.

Thanks in advance.
Billy.

Have you played Grand Cypress? It’s really good, North and East being the best out of 9’s with the East being the best challenge IMO. I tend to favour Grand Cypress over OCN.

Love Southern Dunes, one of my favourites anywhere never mind Florida.

Played Champions Gate Golf and County Club again this year (not to be confused with the other Champions gate resort). A new course not a year or 2 old but really worth playing.

Then if you have the desire to travel 80 or so miles and have the wonga required, Streamsong resort is amongst the best in the state.