Hardest course you have ever played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monte Mayor ....................... by a massive distance, and I mean massive.
Was fortunate enough to play it several times before it was closed down.
It made Hankley Common feel like a pitch and putt in comparison.
Second is probably Las Ramblas, also in Spain.

Monte Mayor, what a place that was, just magnificent. I miss that course.
Anyone else played it?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Anyone else played it?

Yes mate 97 and 98. Loved it. What you think are bushes at the edge of fairways are really the tops of 200 foot trees. Talk about plotting your way around a golf course. Still use the pitchmark repairer I bought there

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just a great course, tough but fair. I always think I should be able to make a score but find that the bad shots get punished round there and once out of position you’re in trouble. I’ll keep trying though!

That's absolutely the 'joy' :rolleyes: of links courses! I've played Carnoustie 3 times, shooting 99, 83 and 76 - in that order. :D But I'd rank that and Birkdale (if there's a 'decent' breeze at them) as 2 of the 'hardest' courses I've played.

But it really depends on how you define 'hardest'! I've played Wentworth West a number of times and shot my handicap every time! It's an 'easy' course if you play conservatively, but can be a monster if you are too aggressive! On the other hand, I've played the South/Edinburgh course even more and have always struggled to score well! So I'd add that to my personal 'hardest' list!

Most difficult/stressful golfing experience was at Les Bordes, quite a while ago, when I (successfully) played to go in their 'Golden Book' (not losing a ball!). Playing my 'simple' 9 iron (it really only needed a PW!) over the pond to the last green was truly one of the scariest moments of my life!

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The European. Amazing course that is brutally tough, even more so if the wind blows.

Played in a society comp their in a howling gail. 19 points won. One of my mates hit a near 400 yard drive down wind and into the wind hit driver on a 180yd par 3 and came up short

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It cant have been that hard, me and Fish both got 35 points.

Mine was better on countback though.:whoo

We don’t talk about that 😟

I found HAnkley tough but I really wasn’t playing very well at all, Hillside really chewed me up and I didn’t have the current excuse of a dodgy shoulder.

I love the Kent tour and have always played well and been a chicken dinner or in the mix at RCP & RSG 😜🏌️

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Royal county down. By a mile. Tough golf course, what ever the weather. Have been 2 under after 5 and still been shat on. Love it though.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We don’t talk about that 

I found HAnkley tough but I really wasn’t playing very well at all, Hillside really chewed me up and I didn’t have the current excuse of a dodgy shoulder.

I love the Kent tour and have always played well and been a chicken dinner or in the mix at RCP & RSG ️

The Kent tour is a cracker, if I was a bit nearer I'd be down there like a shot.:thup:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Anyone else played it?
yes played it .
woudnt fancy walking as we had buggies.
The bet on the par three all you have to do is hit the green we never.
the par five over the ravine I hit driver and 2 putts for eagle.
26 players and I won with 28pts

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes played it .
woudnt fancy walking as we had buggies.
The bet on the par three all you have to do is hit the green we never.
the par five over the ravine I hit driver and 2 putts for eagle.
26 players and I won with 28pts

28 points round there is a massive total, well played sir.

Oh, that par 5, I was 30yds over the back with an 8 iron 2nd shot and I'm no big hitter.
I pulled my tee shot and cut a lot more off the ravine than I intended!!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
28 points round there is a massive total, well played sir.

Oh, that par 5, I was 30yds over the back with an 8 iron 2nd shot and I'm no big hitter.
I pulled my tee shot and cut a lot more off the ravine than I intended!!
great course , I didn't know it had gone what a pity.
It was unique think with it being in the middle of nowhere and some great tracks very close to it.

gazzadi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Monte mayor for me also .The front nine is so tight and difficult and one shot offline = lost ball. I lost 8 balls on the front nine alone.The back nine is still incredible but slightly more playable .Such a shame to lose a course like that but regard myself fortunate enough to have attempted to play it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monte mayor for me also .The front nine is so tight and difficult and one shot offline = lost ball. I lost 8 balls on the front nine alone.The back nine is still incredible but slightly more playable .Such a shame to lose a course like that but regard myself fortunate enough to have attempted to play it.

I remember the first time I played it.
We were the first ones out, a four ball, and there was a low lying mist that reduced visibility somewhat.
Buggies were compulsory and it still took us 45 minutes to play the first hole!!
Most of that time was spent looking for the green, which seemed to be floating over a 200 foot gorge behind some trees, and just laughing at the absurdity of the whole thing.
The hardest and most magnificent course I have ever played ..................... period!!

gazzadi

Medal Winner
Visit site
or a 220 carry over canyons with driver and no bail out on par 3 s.You could easily run out of balls and there was no way you were going to attempt to retrieve a ball without crampons and a rope

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
or a 220 carry over canyons with driver and no bail out on par 3 s.You could easily run out of balls and there was no way you were going to attempt to retrieve a ball without crampons and a rope
Maybe this is why it's gone some people could not play it .
I remember one lad scored six points because he ran out of balls on the I think it is the twelfth par three looks like the green was on top of a volcano sheer drop all around.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A toss up between The Ashburnham and Pannal for me. One, a beautiful true links course and a fantastic test of golf. The wind seems to kick you in the teeth on almost every hole on the front 9, but then tries to make amends on the back! Strangely though, this is also probably my favourite course that I have played. Pannal I found extremely difficult. Usually a long holes protection is its length and you're normally rewarded for reaching the green, at Pannal getting to the green is a major challenge in itself. 38 greenside bunkers and drops offs punish even a good shot at times. The greens were also very fast and myself and my playing partners found them almost impossible to read. I'd go back to both tomorrow though if I had a chance!

I'm lucky that an ex colleague of mine is a member at the Ashburnham so I get invited there quite regularly.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played The Island just outside of Dublin today.

I reckon if there was a forum meet there the winning score wouldn't break 20 points!!

You can close this thread now!