Hardest course you have ever played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No we haven't , Played all over Florida LPGA hills is a gem , Southern Dunes is my fav , Redtail , OCN both fantastic. Disney trio awesome.

Could you recommend any you have played that we may of missed as going on two week hol with the lads 10th Nov 17 can't wait.

Dont mind traveling for a quality course.

Thanks in advance.
Billy.

I travelled down to Streamsong resort which is about an hour and half from Disney and played the Red course last year. Every aspect of it was amazing. I would definitely recommend it, 3 courses to choose from now too.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Royal Cinque Ports this year on the Kent meet was the toughest day I've ever had on a golf course - the weather conditions made it absolutely brutal; so much so that the tea and snickers bar I had in the half-way hut would rank as one of the most welcome 'meals' I've ever had (and I've had a few.......!!!! ;) :D :D)

Perversely though it was also one of the most fun.........the golf that is not the tea and Snickers!!

It cant have been that hard, me and Fish both got 35 points.

Mine was better on countback though.:whoo:

That Thracian cliffs looks damn hard.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"that'' day at Southerness was something else.

I'd happily have a go at that exact day again and again just for the challenge of it. I'd say I would be better equipped to handle it now. I played better golf that day and scored far worse than I did at silloth.

Tight courses get me although some links days I just freeze up and steer it around. The fear of the rough and instant lost balls gets me much more tense than a pile of trees on a parkland.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
All on a calm day then Royal Lytham definitely the toughest (off the back/Open tees)

In the winds that I've played them Silloth, Hoylake, West Lancs and Southerness have been absolutely horrific :eek:oo:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
All on a calm day then Royal Lytham definitely the toughest (off the back/Open tees)

In the winds that I've played them Silloth, Hoylake, West Lancs and Southerness have been absolutely horrific :eek:oo:

That was pretty funny, as I had two courses in mind as I went through the thread - and then you posted this right at the end!

West Lancs and Silloth are the two hardest I have played.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you played Grand Cypress? It’s really good, North and East being the best out of 9’s with the East being the best challenge IMO. I tend to favour Grand Cypress over OCN.

Love Southern Dunes, one of my favourites anywhere never mind Florida.

Played Champions Gate Golf and County Club again this year (not to be confused with the other Champions gate resort). A new course not a year or 2 old but really worth playing.

Then if you have the desire to travel 80 or so miles and have the wonga required, Streamsong resort is amongst the best in the state.
not played CG yet but we always stay at Bella Piazza just over the road by Highlands Reserve.
will go have a game there thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I travelled down to Streamsong resort which is about an hour and half from Disney and played the Red course last year. Every aspect of it was amazing. I would definitely recommend it, 3 courses to choose from now too.
I have seen the adverts it looks something else.

Played Sawgrass last year that was awesome but very playable .

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Killeen castle on black tee challenge , 7,650 yards approx , drives and long irons or woods to par 4's , over 200 yard carries to the fairway , enjoyable but tough tough course

D

Deleted member 17920

Royal Birkdale, knee length rough 2 yards from the edge of the green was hell.

St Mellion, very very tough course and very underated.

Carnoustie was tough but when we played it the rough wasn't that bad, I dread to think how tough it is when the rough is up.

West Lancs, again the rough wasn't that bad but it's a brute.

Hotchkin course, even though I play it loads I don't forget what a tough course it is.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Mablethorpe crazy golf.

It wasn't the windmill hole that killed the card, or the Z bend, it was the half pipe with the hole on the apex.

Pancho Villa

Hacker
Visit site
For me st mellion Nicklaus and Saunton east are tough but a brilliant experience.
Isle of purbeck for me is just tough and I never played well around there

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is this thread about toughest course or toughest weather? Any course can become impossible in the worst of weather!

Toughest I have played is probably Southerness. Played a few times and always found it extremely difficult. A superb course though.

Carnoustie is fine except for the last few holes that are just stupid!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is this thread about toughest course or toughest weather? Any course can become impossible in the worst of weather!

Toughest I have played is probably Southerness. Played a few times and always found it extremely difficult. A superb course though.

Carnoustie is fine except for the last few holes that are just stupid!

I think that 18 is a brilliant hole. 16th is alright, tough par three and 17 is strategic. Certainly not stupid in my opinion. Each to their own.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

This
Sometimes wonder if, given similar weather (wind) can certain parkland courses play even harder than the tough as nails links?

After all, presumably links course are generally 'designed' with strong prevailing winds in mind

Not sure how say, St.Mellion, would even be playable on a day like today

* not bashing links as it's my favourite style by far, and I know how hard it can be... just throwing it out there for healthy debate